Poor camera or no camera

Feature phones at the moment are notorious for having low spec components. My biggest bugbear is the ubiquitous low spec camera.

Poor camera or no camera

luckyjim17 luckyjim17
✭✭  / 
Feature phones at the moment are notorious for having low spec components. My biggest bugbear is the ubiquitous low spec camera. It drives me crazy why Nokia fit such a pointless component.

The new Nokia 220 4G comes with 4G sounds great but then read on only to see a 0.3mp camera. My first thoughts were WHAT has someone made a typo thinking it should be 3mp camera, but sadly no. Who actually uses such a poor resolution device, who would even contemplate using such a thing. 

So my question is would you prefer having a poor component or not having it at all?

My reasoning is some phones actually look and function better where less is more. Also having less on your home screen makes things more clear. It also means the same budget could be used to improve the quality of the other components or means useful options could be considered (not all models have SD card ports, etc.). Or additional software features could be added or. Even allow 6 games on the phone instead of 2.

I’d really like to know what others think and if anyone actually uses a poor resolution camera (I mean on a regular basis).

Comments

• f82 f82
    ✭✭  / 
    Just an idea, maybe wrong. We could imagine this model may be the first one of a serie that will have different external components (screens,camera modules like happened with the Nokia 216->230) but having possibly a new main processor that let's hope may support "modern" different components combinations.
    Considering the price they were talking, I wasn't expecting more (ok maybe a 2MP camera module) but who knows maybe the quality of its 0.3MP camera may be better (or not..) of the previous ones. For example there're enough differences from the final encoding results of the 0.3MP of the Nokia 130 and the 0.3MP of the Nokia 216. Probably for more hw reasons than just the module itself. And also we can't know if the video encoding capabilities of it will be using the same resolution (480p?).
    The point is to hope for a feature phone oriented new processor with future expandibility in mind.