Re-release Nokia 301

Hi guys, I’ve been banging on about how Nokia should redo the range by having a basic phone (106 is fine for this) and a mid range model that comes in 3 forms (candybar, keyboard and flip phone).

Re-release Nokia 301

luckyjim17 luckyjim17
✭✭  / 
Hi guys,

I’ve been banging on about how Nokia should redo the range by having a basic phone (106 is fine for this) and a mid range model that comes in 3 forms (candybar, keyboard and flip phone). I’ve realised I used to have the ideal phone from 2013 which was the Nokia 301 https://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_3https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/all/nokia-301-short-battery-life-gt-h-icon-always-on/bac37f23-1906-4964-9ce1-dc3d59aeb80701-5323.php. Pretty sure this was an S30+ phone.

It wasn’t prefect as Microsoft at the time claimed it had a good battery life but it was notorious for the battery mysteriously draining after a few days  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/all/nokia-301-short-battery-life-gt-h-icon-always-on/bac37f23-1906-4964-9ce1-dc3d59aeb807 Which happened to me so I stopped using it. Nokia website didn’t offer firmware updates from their own site!

It also had replaceable colour bumper covers (great idea) but in the UK you could never find them. I remember paying about £40 for it. 

So Nokia why not re-release the phone after fixing the issues, adding an fm radio, 10 games (not demos), Bluetooth that links with tablets, 4g, upgrade the camera to 5mp and make those bumper covers available.

Games wise I suggest ones that are simple to pickup that people will play for about 20 to 30 minutes max. Viking chess please (great game), obviously snake, words with friends (to show off Bluetooth/ bump transfer), angry birds, 2048, flappy bird, temple run, asteroids, Crosby road, candy crush, paint.io, Atari/Nintendo/sega/Sinclair/Amega style games, an amazing one could be a simpler version of splattoon with friends.

As I said, one phone in 3 form factors (Nokia 301 for candybar, Nokia Asha 201 for keyboard and Nokia 2720 for flip as they look like they are from the same range).

If Bluetooth worked with tablets Nokia could resurrect Ovi for downloading classic games mentioned and other features. Or just keep it self contained. Bluetooth could also be used to showcase the phone (games with friends, linking to a tablet for a bigger screen or use for satnav, downloading apps from all new Ovi store, etc.

Comments

• luckyjim17 luckyjim17
    ✭✭  / 
    Deblobb is another possible game on the list. Simple, quick to pick up and fun.
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @luckyjim17 according to Wikipedia the 3.1 ran S40, but I can't confirm that.
    I really like your suggestion of bringing a "feature-packed feature phone", using the same software in 3 different form factors. I don't think the specs are a problem, I just don't know if anyone will use it. I am interested to see what the rumoured flip phone which HMD will release soon will be like.
    Cheers :)
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @luckyjim17 according to Wikipedia the 3.1 ran S40, but I can't confirm that.
    I really like your suggestion of bringing a "feature-packed feature phone", using the same software in 3 different form factors. I don't think the specs are a problem, I just don't know if anyone will use it. I am interested to see what the rumoured flip phone which HMD will release soon will be like.
    If a phone running on S40 returns. Many will use it. It was much much much useable than current "smart featurephones". In fact, it was the true smart featurephone OS IMO because it had WiFi, 3G, Apps, app store, touch screen support, etc etc. The only problem with S40 is it doesn't support 4G and newer networks. I am not sure if that functionality can be added or not. But if it is possible to add support for the latest network speeds then it should be made. Why do feature phones need to be updated every few weeks just like smartphones? They should just work and updates should be a rare thing on feature phones. :smile:
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The problem with updates is that anything which can access the web, emails, install new apps, etc - basically anything which can be loaded with unverified content from external sources - is at risk from malware and if a vulnerability is found then the customer, generally, would want that vulnerability to be patched. The alternative is that the phone maker verifies all content which is permitted on the phone, but that gets us into a wall-garden scenario, extremely limited access to the web and all emails must be routed through the maker's servers. I think that regular patches are preferable.
    I think S40 was superseded by the Asha platform, but I don't know what the reasons for that were. Nokia was working internally on a successor to S40 based on Linux codenamed Meltemi, but it never achieved its objectives and was cancelled in favour of the bought-in Asha platform from a company called Smarterphone (I think). It's possible that HMD (or FIH mobile) own S40 from the Nokia feature phone business they bought from Microsoft; this possible also includes Asha, but unlikely to include Meltemi. In any case, if HMD wanted to use it I think they would have, but instead they are using S30+, Feature OS and YunOS for their non-touchscreen phones.
    I think the most likely platform for a 301 remake is Feature OS, but it probably doesn't offer all the S40 features you are looking for.
  • viccky viccky
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    The problem with updates is that anything which can access the web, emails, install new apps, etc - basically anything which can be loaded with unverified content from external sources - is at risk from malware and if a vulnerability is found then the customer, generally, would want that vulnerability to be patched. The alternative is that the phone maker verifies all content which is permitted on the phone, but that gets us into a wall-garden scenario, extremely limited access to the web and all emails must be routed through the maker's servers. I think that regular patches are preferable.
    I think S40 was superseded by the Asha platform, but I don't know what the reasons for that were. Nokia was working internally on a successor to S40 based on Linux codenamed Meltemi, but it never achieved its objectives and was cancelled in favour of the bought-in Asha platform from a company called Smarterphone (I think). It's possible that HMD (or FIH mobile) own S40 from the Nokia feature phone business they bought from Microsoft; this possible also includes Asha, but unlikely to include Meltemi. In any case, if HMD wanted to use it I think they would have, but instead they are using S30+, Feature OS and YunOS for their non-touchscreen phones.
    I think the most likely platform for a 301 remake is Feature OS, but it probably doesn't offer all the S40 features you are looking for.
    I highly doubt that HMD/FIH owns S40 or Asha OS.
    Microsoft killed S40/Asha OS in favour of Windows Phone. 😐
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @viccky, yes MS killed them but they still may have been part of the deal which sold the feature phones business to HMD and FIH. We don't know the details of the deal, what IP was transferred etc. so therefore we can't confirm unless some one at HMD, FIH or MS confirms (or even Nokia).
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @viccky, yes MS killed them but they still may have been part of the deal which sold the feature phones business to HMD and FIH. We don't know the details of the deal, what IP was transferred etc. so therefore we can't confirm unless some one at HMD, FIH or MS confirms (or even Nokia).
    Yup, it is still not known if S40 was part of the deal or not. We don't know if Nokia also sold the operating systems along with the D&S division or kept those with themselves just like most other IP. It would be a dream come true if S40 is brought back or comes back somehow. 😁