Unofficial bootloader unlock services news

Hi all,Sorry if the headline gets you excited, I'm not sure this is reason for excitement.

Unofficial bootloader unlock services news

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
Sorry if the headline gets you excited, I'm not sure this is reason for excitement. On twitter @hikari calyx said they're stopping the paid service for unlocking the bootloader on various phones made by FIH: https://mobile.twitter.com/Hikari_Calyx/status/1164191620066975745
I don't know why this is, or even if this means they will now provide the service for free?
Anyone have any info on this?
Cheers :)

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk provide some info
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 22
    As I said in some other thread, the unlock keys were sold by somebody and Calyx were just reselling them (for the same price, or slightly lesser, varies by model and work needed) but saving some since they were buying them in bigger bulk. That tool is temporarily discontinued (due to HMD's action on the OST LA backend they were using). A new more secure and dongle based version of the tool will be released in the future. When, we don't know.
    So, the unlocks aren't possible by them anymore until a new verison of the tool is released. And no, they aren't happening for free unless HMD Global shows some willingness instead of taking actions.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Let's start sending requests to HMD once again. 😁
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    We can try aha! Last year we got Nokia 8, maybe we can try and at least get it functional again? Time to create a new petition on change.org.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    We can try aha! Last year we got Nokia 8, maybe we can try and at least get it functional again? Time to create a new petition on change.org.
    No. It takes too long and we couldn't achieve anything. ☹️
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    Contradict your own message with this? Come on that Nokia 8 unlock happened due to nothing but pressure.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    singhnsk said:
    Contradict your own message with this? Come on that Nokia 8 unlock happened due to nothing but pressure.
    Yes but that was just a show piece. They didn't keep it the same.

I mean't we don't have to sign petitions everytime. Just request them somewhere. 😊
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 23
    Pressure and noise might cause something to happen. I think the first models to focus on are:
    • Nokia 6 Amazon edition
    • Nokia 2
    Because they will run out of security update support this year and the fair, reasonably, ethical and environmentally responsible thing for HMD to do would be to provide bootloader unlock methodsfor these phones.
    After those, I suggest focussing on the models which seem to be of most interest to developers and which HMD have previously used for testing new OSes:
    • 7 plus
    I think these models also sold well, so developers should have a large audience of willing testers :grin:
    After that, I suggest just requesting unlocks either in order of release date or in number of users - difficult to know which... but first we need to get the 6 Amazon and 2 unlocked!
    Cheers :)
    PS - We obviously need to get the 7 unlocked as well to keep @singhnsk entertained ;)
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

PS - We obviously need to get the 7 unlocked as well to keep @singhnsk entertained ;)
    LOL
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:

Well, mine is already unlocked and HMD doesn't talk about its China devices among the global audience. So, we can exclude the 7 😂. There aren't many users anyways though.
    As for the 8.1, the device is useless when unlocked in the current state. They will need to re-build the bootloader and update all devices to make them useful with the unlock. The current bootloader relies too much on fuse and there's no way to disable fuse on the customer end, except for probably when doing EDL flashing.