8.2 prediction: 5G, announced at MWC2020

Hi all, Juho Sarvikas had a telephone interview with Digital Trends where he said that HMD are working on a 5G phone which is more affordable than current ones, to be launched next year:

8.2 prediction: 5G, announced at MWC2020

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
Juho Sarvikas had a telephone interview with Digital Trends where he said that HMD are working on a 5G phone which is more affordable than current ones, to be launched next year: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/hmd-nokia-5g-phone-2020-affordable/
By more affordable this might still mean about the price of a 9 PureView though! But let's be more optimistic, let's think that it might be more like the price of the 8.1. The 8.1 was announced in December last year, so February 2020 will be a good time to announce it's successor the 8.2, and this will correspond nicely with the timescale Juho indicated for the "more affordable" 5G smartphone. MWC is also a big stage to make this announcement.
So, do you think this prediction might be correct?
Cheers :smile:
Tagged:

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    And we now know that HMD will be releasing a 5G phone in 2020 due to the twittering by Juho Sarvikas, following the announcement by Qualcomm that they will release a 7-series 5G chipset this year. So HMD will be following the trend, quel surprise ;)
    Some rumours suggest that the 8.2 will actually be released this year. Personally I think that is too soon for the 5G support, especially from HMD. However some suggest that HMD will release the 8.2 without 5G this year and with 5G at MWC. This is possible, but as others have said it basically means HMD making two phones instead of one... but that's almost exactly what they've just done with the 6.2 and 7.2 :D
    I think it's more interesting to predict the camera arrangement, what do you think? I predict:
    • Large main sensor with OIS
    • Telephoto with OIS
    • Wide angle
    • .... so far so Huawei/Oppo/Samsung, etc!
    • ToF depth sensor
    • Monochrome sensor to complement the main sensor and try and gather more light to continue what the 9PV started.
    That may make you wonder what could possible be the setup in the successor to the 9PV... well, I guess the above plus more mono sensors!
    Cheers :)