Security updates Project Mainline, Android Q and beyond

Hi all,With Android Q soon to start coming to most of HMD's Nokia phones I looked into the new features it will bring.

Security updates Project Mainline, Android Q and beyond

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 23
Hi all,
With Android Q soon to start coming to most of HMD's Nokia phones I looked into the new features it will bring. One is called "Project Mainline" https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/05/fresher-os-with-projects-treble-and-mainline.html and it will allow Google to push updates to core parts of Android directly, they won't have to wait for the phone manufacturer to push them out.
This means that with Android Q onwards HMD's job should get much easier, shouldn't it? If Google take care of all these updates to the core OS then HMD can focus on security updates, bug fixes and feature improvements for the bits that they are responsible for. Overall, this should mean that HMD can do more, but will they make more improvements or will they just save the money and make more profit? In other words, do they really want to improve the experience for customers? ;)
If I have understood Project Mainline correctly then this means that all manufacturers can benefit from this. This means that one of HMDs USPs of monthly security updates will no longer be special, because all new phones should benefit from this. What will HMD do to differentiate themselves from the rest of the crowd. Will they continue to rely only on Pure Android? Or will they find other ways to stand out from the crowd?
What do you think?
Cheers :)

Tagged: