Feature Phones Software Update

We all know that how good HMD is in updating their smartphones. But they are zero in updating the feature phones.

Feature Phones Software Update

Viccky Viccky
✭✭✭  / 
We all know that how good HMD is in updating their smartphones. But they are zero in updating the feature phones. Earlier, NOKIA & MICROSOFT MOBILE both provided software updates to their feature phone line up. Nokia 130, 215, 216, 220, 222, 225, & 230; all got updates. One could simply update their feature phone using Nokia software recovery tool (as there is no OTA option available in S30+ phones).
But, HMD is yet to provide any update to their feature phone line up i.e. Nokia 150, 130 (2017), 3310 2G/3G/4G, 210.
Why is it so?
There are many demanding features that can be added in feature phones via software updates.
HMD should really ponder over it along with providing a suitable tool.
@juho @HMD_Laura
Tagged:

Comments

• FunkayGibbo FunkayGibbo
    ✭✭  / 
    If they released a stable phone I'd see no need to update. If it's not broke don't fix it approach. Smartphones have a ridiculous amount of updates, often with release notes of just 'bug fixes'.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The don't even have a recovery tool lnow. They need to provide a software recovery tool first. Then they can think of updates. But I am not sure why my Nokia 150 will need an update. It works just fine for what it is. 🙂
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    If there's a recovery tool, how will Nokia care earn money by claiming that devices have internal damages instead of just doing software flashing? Have had several people whom were either denied repair or asked to take a new mainboard and all they needed was simple re-install of software. Something is wriously wrong with the policies of customer service wing at HMD.
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    If there's a recovery tool, how will Nokia care earn money by claiming that devices have internal damages instead of just doing software flashing? Have had several people whom were either denied repair or asked to take a new mainboard and all they needed was simple re-install of software. Something is wriously wrong with the policies of customer service wing at HMD.
    You have a very valid point.
    Even a simple software related problem can be termed as motherboard failure by care centre guy. 
    We have been asking for NSRT for a long time but HMD acts deaf. So pathetic. 😖
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The don't even have a recovery tool lnow. They need to provide a software recovery tool first. Then they can think of updates. But I am not sure why my Nokia 150 will need an update. It works just fine for what it is. 🙂
    Well there are many things that can be fixed in feature phones. For eg.
    -In my Nokia 106 I cant add 2 or more numbers under one name, for each number I need to put different names like Z, Z1 etc. There should be an option to put multi numbers under one name.
    -Another thing I want in feature phones is Message thread instead of plain Inbox which is ,indeed, very irritating(You cant use it for chatting purposes). 😑 
    -They can add a mail box in phones having internet connectivity.
    -Option to move the icons as per my need and ease of access.
    -Option to delete Try and Buy games.

I am adding few links where you can see what Nokia/MS updated in their phones.  :) 😊

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdasha-mdupdate/new-software-update-for-nokia-222222-dual-sim/7a93bd8b-de8c-4377-82f6-282b4da47122?auth=1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/all/new-software-update-for-nokia-130130-dual-sim-v/dd257394-8b18-408b-accb-374c655720e4

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/all/new-software-update-for-nokia-301-v-802/3265f103-4b84-4cbc-8c7d-9cf04d45c314

• Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 27

See how users of Nokia 3310 3G are crying. I am pretty sure that these issues can be fixed through a software update but no one took cognizance of the issues. 🙁
    Had Nokia or MS been the authority, issues would have got fixed in no time.

https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/1829/time-stamp-on-incoming-texts-wrong#latest

https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/5667/poor-os#latest

P.S.- even HMD's smartphones updates are highly flawed. I rarely found those updates improving anthing in the phones. HMD simply rolls the very plane updates out which they get from Google 💟, they rarely modify the updates. A very prominent eg. of this is Nokia 8 (2017). Users cried all the way for a proper update which could fix the issue related to camera and performance but that update never arrived; what instead they got is Monthly updates and major System updates. Thats all from HMD.

Sarvikas and company seriously need few kicks on their back to get ousted from the company.
  • TheoSc TheoSc
    ✭✭  / 
    The pattern unlock feature that keeps going faulty on Nokia 1 is making me mad. All since Pie. GRRR.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    TheoSc said:
    The pattern unlock feature that keeps going faulty on Nokia 1 is making me mad. All since Pie. GRRR.
    Hehe. I hope the upcoming update fixes this issue. 😁
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:

See how users of Nokia 3310 3G are crying. I am pretty sure that these issues can be fixed through a software update but no one took cognizance of the issues. 🙁

https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/1829/time-stamp-on-incoming-texts-wrong#latest

P.S.- even HMD's smartphones updates are highly flawed. I rarely found those updates improving anthing in the phones. HMD simply rolls the very plane updates out which they get from Google 💟, they rarely modify the updates. A very prominent eg. of this is Nokia 8 (2017). Users cried all the way for a proper update which could fix the issue related to camera and performance but that update never arrived; what instead they got is Monthly updates and major System updates. Thats all from HMD.

Sarvikas and company seriously need few kicks on their back to get ousted from the company.
    3310 3G is also powered by Feature OS. So users who buy the 220 4G will face same problems as those who bought 3310 3G. After reading the issues faced by people who used Feature OS on 3310 3G i feel S30+ is more stable than that. The only alternative feature phone OS left for HMD Global is Sailfish 3 but even that os hasn't been tried on a feature phone so we can't say how good is it.

Nothing can come close to what S40 was even after a decade. Where's the progress and innovation? Gone along with real Nokia? 😞
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:

3310 3G is also powered by Feature OS. So users who buy the 220 4G will face same problems as those who bought 3310 3G. After reading the issues faced by people who used Feature OS on 3310 3G i feel S30+ is more stable than that. The only alternative feature phone OS left for HMD Global is Sailfish 3 but even that os hasn't been tried on a feature phone so we can't say how good is it.

Nothing can come close to what S40 was even after a decade. Where's the progress and innovation? Gone along with real Nokia? 😞
    Well, we can only hope that Feature OS on 220 4G have become more mature and reliable by now.
    Waiting for its launch in India to find more about Feature OS. 😊
    YES, S40 was the best. But we should forget S40 and let that Rest in Peace. Bringing S40 back is not HMD's cup of tea (they better provide only monthly updates).🙁

Real innovation has long gone. It can only come back if Nokia intends to make phones at their own which is not gonna happen.
    It has been 3 years since the inception of HMD but they are totally waste.😡
    Waiting for 2026 when the licence of the brand will be revoked. Btw what can be better if HMD gets bankrupt in next 2-3 years and disappear from market. 😀
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:
    Waiting for 2026 when the licence of the brand will be revoked. Btw what can be better if HMD gets bankrupt in next 2-3 years and disappear from market. 😀
    If HMD goes bankrupt forget about buying a Nokia ever in your life as it will hurt the brand so much that it would be much more difficult to revive it again in the consumer space. I just want them to focus on important things and launch less but better devices. This is going offtopic from what the topic was so i'll just stop this here😅

About S40, I am not asking then to revive it but if it is possible then do it. 😁

I don't have high expectation from feature os now but will have to see how the buyers of 220 respond. 🙂
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    TheoSc said:
    Take back up and then reset the phone. This may solve you problem as it is said that after an update one should reset his phone for a better performance.
  • TheoSc TheoSc
    ✭✭  / 
    viccky said:
    TheoSc said:
    Take back up and then reset the phone. This may solve you problem as it is said that after an update one should reset his phone for a better performance.
    I have done a Factory Reset after Pie...3times. Doesn't cure the problem. Gets kinda ANNOYING...lol. I often look back at Oreo that my phone came with....no bugs. It's like I knew that updating to Pie might have issues... but I let it update anyway. Fix this HMD. ASAP.

• Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    TheoSc said:
    viccky said:
    TheoSc said:
    I have done a Factory Reset after Pie...3times. Doesn't cure the problem. Gets kinda ANNOYING...lol. I often look back at Oreo that my phone came with....no bugs. It's like I knew that updating to Pie might have issues... but I let it update anyway. Fix this HMD. ASAP.

I feel bad for Nokia 1 users. But let me tell you that HMD will not solve your issue. They have no intent to fix the issue.

You should visit Nokia Care Centre. May be they could solve your problems.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:
    I feel bad for Nokia 1 users. But let me tell you that HMD will not solve your issue. They have no intent to fix the issue.

If HMD can't fix it then how can the service centre? 
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:

Probably by installing fresh Pie Go on Nokia 1. 😛
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:
    viccky said:

Probably by installing fresh Pie Go on Nokia 1. 😛
    The bug must be present on the os itself. So, they need to fix that first. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    If HMD goes bankrupt forget about buying a Nokia ever in your life as it will hurt the brand so much that it would be much more difficult to revive it again in the consumer space. I just want them to focus on important things and launch less but better devices.

Age of competition. We don't need to lick brands. I believe nobody wants the Nokia brand for namesake without getting all the qualities that were synonym to its brand name. If the products don't compete well, and don't keep it's buyers happy, you know where it goes. A fair economics says that something that doesn't add value should not exist. If even something cheap, like your mixer grinder doesn't work and it breaks down and you get a pretty bad service, it's obvious you'll never buy it again and never ask anybody else to buy it again too.  That's pretty much what's happening with Nokia. And then devices aren't even cheap for which you can say that oh it was cheap, it deserves poor service.

I'll pretty easily forget about buying a Nokia in my life again if it stays the same. During the past years of its existence, HMD hasn't given anything signiifcant for which it will be missed (probably other than making a record of launching the most number of phones in the shortest period of time), if it doesn't exist a few years later. I'll am still partially hopefully, but I won't close my eyes and say all izz well.
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    If HMD goes bankrupt forget about buying a Nokia ever in your life as it will hurt the brand so much that it would be much more difficult to revive it again in the consumer space. I just want them to focus on important things and launch less but better devices.

Age of competition. We don't need to lick brands. I believe nobody wants the Nokia brand for namesake without getting all the qualities that were synonym to its brand name. If the products don't compete well, and don't keep it's buyers happy, you know where it goes. A fair economics says that something that doesn't add value should not exist. If even something cheap, like your mixer grinder doesn't work and it breaks down and you get a pretty bad service, it's obvious you'll never buy it again and never ask anybody else to buy it again too.  That's pretty much what's happening with Nokia. And then devices aren't even cheap for which you can say that oh it was cheap, it deserves poor service.

I'll pretty easily forget about buying a Nokia in my life again if it stays the same. During the past years of its existence, HMD hasn't given anything signiifcant for which it will be missed (probably other than making a record of launching the most number of phones in the shortest period of time), if it doesn't exist a few years later. I'll am still partially hopefully, but I won't close my eyes and say all izz well.
    Thanks for putting things straight TO THE POINT. 👏👏

I would love to have NO NOKIA INSTEAD OF AVERAGE NOKIA.😊

Nokia 220 4G would probably be my last Nokia branded phone from HMD until they make things better to which I am highly pessimistic...🙄
  • TheoSc TheoSc
    ✭✭  / 
    You know what... I purchased the Nokia 1 primarily for call clarity. True to form it excells at that. As cheap as it is it is a solid communication device. Nokia's expertise lies with call clarity. Best in the business. Nokia has and will always be Primarily a communications company.

For me with a cheap Nokia1 I must not moan. Just happy voice calls don't have me constantly "say again"
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @Kartik Gada  See this. HMD shipped lowest quantity of feature phones in Q2 2019 since its inception. Can you guess where did they go wrong? 🤔
    Pic credit- IDC/Nokiamob
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 30
    viccky said:
    @Kartik Gada  See this. HMD shipped lowest quantity of feature phones in Q2 2019 since its inception. Can you guess where did they go wrong? 🤔
    Pic credit- IDC/Nokiamob
    They touched the number 2 spot globally in feature phone market and number 1 in Asia region. They will soon overtake itel in India maybe the Q3 report will show it. The problem i see is lack of good feature phones. Elder people want feature phones with bigger displays. Hmd had Nokia 230 Dual Sim in India but recently when I went to check it on the website it wasn't listed. This means they stopped selling a very good featurephone that they had in India. The person that was looking to buy this phone went for some Samsung feature phone with 2.8" display. I see this as a problem.

Now they introduced some new feature phones which will be coming to India in some time. About Nokia 3310 3G, it was never made for India and had no use in India. Why would one buy that for a higher price compared to the 2G variant when he/she won't be using it for anything other than calls and you know that India is now about LTE feature phones. Launching a 3G feature phone in India would have been a worse decision. Now if they launch 220 4G people will start asking for whatsapp and other apps which won't be coming to 220 4G and again people in India will go crazy and call it a bad product.

IMO A person who will own a feature phone in India won't be using advanced features but he will still ask for it. After getting it he will only use it for calls. I know how "good" and "user friendly" jio Phone is that people can't even type on it properly and easily. As of now there's no other popular 4G phone in India that offers reliability. Nokia 8110 4G is expensive and even that didn't get good reviews. I would suggest people to buy a Nokia 1 for 3.5k or even a 2.1 for 4.5k over this toy from HMD.

I feel HMD should do this:

Nokia 105, 106 - keep any one out of these at the lowest level with most basic functions and low price. Keeping Nokia 106 is better as it has a nice design. Just add more colour to this one. 

Nokia 110, 130 should be replaced with any one phone out of these two. Remove the camera and add a bigger 2.2"-2.4" display which will be more useful than a vga camera. All other features are kept as they are.. Price could be around 1.6k

Nokia 150 goes away

Nokia 210 with internet takes the place of Nokia 150 (approx ₹2.1k)

Nokia 220 4G takes the place of Nokia 216 (approx ₹2.6k)

Nokia 3310 stays at ₹3k.

Nokia 230 comes back at ₹3.5k
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:
    Pic credit- IDC/Nokiamob
    They touched the number 2 spot globally in feature phone market and number 1 in Asia region. They will soon overtake itel in India maybe the Q3 report will show it. The problem i see is lack of good feature phones. Elder people want feature phones with bigger displays. Hmd had Nokia 230 Dual Sim in India but recently when I went to check it on the website it wasn't listed. This means they stopped selling a very good featurephone that they had in India. The person that was looking to buy this phone went for some Samsung feature phone with 2.8" display. I see this as a problem.

Now they introduced some new feature phones which will be coming to India in some time. About Nokia 3310 3G, it was never made for India and had no use in India. Why would one buy that for a higher price compared to the 2G variant when he/she won't be using it for anything other than calls and you know that India is now about LTE feature phones. Launching a 3G feature phone in India would have been a worse decision. Now if they launch 220 4G people will start asking for whatsapp and other apps which won't be coming to 220 4G and again people in India will go crazy and call it a bad product.

IMO A person who will own a feature phone in India won't be using advanced features but he will still ask for it. After getting it he will only use it for calls. I know how "good" and "user friendly" jio Phone is that people can't even type on it properly and easily. As of now there's no other popular 4G phone in India that offers reliability. Nokia 8110 4G is expensive and even that didn't get good reviews. I would suggest people to buy a Nokia 1 for 3.5k or even a 2.1 for 4.5k over this toy from HMD.

I feel HMD should do this:

Nokia 105, 106 - keep any one out of these at the lowest level with most basic functions and low price. Keeping Nokia 106 is better as it has a nice design. Just add more colour to this one. 

Nokia 110, 130 should be replaced with any one phone out of these two. Remove the camera and add a bigger 2.2"-2.4" display which will be more useful than a vga camera. All other features are kept as they are.. Price could be around 1.6k

Nokia 150 goes away

Nokia 210 with internet takes the place of Nokia 150 (approx ₹2.1k)

Nokia 220 4G takes the place of Nokia 216 (approx ₹2.6k)

Nokia 3310 stays at ₹3k.

Nokia 230 comes back at ₹3.5k
    I agree with the feature phone line up you suggest. Hope someone at HMD follow it. 😊