Are HMD missing an opportunity to promote their feature phones?

Hi all,Recently KaiOS were invited to present information about their OS and how it helps close the "digital divide" to UNESCAP, part of the UN for the Asia-Pacific region:

Are HMD missing an opportunity to promote their feature phones?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 
Hi all,
Recently KaiOS were invited to present information about their OS and how it helps close the "digital divide" to UNESCAP, part of the UN for the Asia-Pacific region: https://www.unescap.org/events/third-session-asia-pacific-information-superhighway-ap-steering-committee-and-wsis-regional
This is KaiOS promoting their OS to people who we would not normally associated with marketing, but I think that this will help KaiOS expand even more.
So, since HMD have their own "smart" OSes for non-touchscreen, so-called "feature" phones, is there an opportunity here for HMD to promote their 3G and 4G capable phones? I think there is, or at least there's an opportunity to remind the UN and similar organisations that "smart feature phones" are not a new thing, Nokia (and other manufacturers) have been making them for a while. The only thing which KaiOS brings which Nokia's equivalent OSes don't is a load of Google and Facebook spyware - surely the UN would be more interested in Nokia's 3G/4G platforms than KaiOS's privacy nightmare?
Just my thoughts ;)
Cheers :)
Tagged:

Comments

• Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    HMD is surely missing most of the opportunities to promote their feature phones. But in a parallel universe, do they really have anything to promote in feature phones (I guess NO). I mean when we compare KaiOS with Smart Feature OS does Feature OS really have anything to stand out? A big NO. 

Feature OS can only do very simple and basic tasks like calling and texting (though I have never used it) whereas KaiOS can do more tasks than Feature OS.

I think in next 3 to 5 years KaiOS will capture 80% of feature phone market in other words KaiOS will be android of feature phones (Not to forget Google is backing KaiOS, a big plus for KaiOS). 

Other things to notice-
    -Samsung's feature phone OS is not very popular and unfriendly to use.
    -Sailfish OS is not very viable.
    -S30+ has its own limitations.
    (So these platforms can't challenge KaiOS; exception is Sailfish OS)

So how could HMD promote its feature phones-
    - Develop Feature OS to the level of S40.
    - Stay away from integrating Google services in feature phones. To take on Google services HMD should integrate Microsoft services. (Considering the privacy)
    -Stay away from any kind of Voice assiatant in feature phones unlike KaiOS.
    Only after doing these basic things HMD can be in a state to promote its feature phones.😊

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Feature OS does a bit more than calls and texting I think. I is used on phones with 3G and 4G and has an Opera Mini web browser I think, plus possibly Facebook I think (yuk):P 
    I think that cheap, web-connected phones are definitely worth promoting in regions where mobile connectivity is much better than fixed as it should help people get online and hopefully overall improve their living conditions (I know there's no direct correlation, but there is an indirect one). It obviously depends on the mobile broadband being cost effective where they are, but HMD could help with this by coming up with deals with network operators like KaiOS did with JioPhone.
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @madbilly well, I used Nokia 220 (S30+) in 2014 and it had FB app, twitter app, Opera browser etc. So taking that into cognizance Feature OS seems slightly upgraded version of S30+ , support of 3G/4G is only pros. in Feature OS. 
    I think that cheap, web-connected phones are definitely worth promoting in regions where mobile connectivity is much better than fixed as it should help people get online and hopefully overall improve their living conditions 

I think the people you are talking about definitely have better mobile connectivity but they never got feature phones with good connectivity i.e. 3G/4G supported feature phones. Eg. India has awesome 4G connectivity across the ruler and urban areas but it never got a HMD's feature phone with 3G/4G (please dont count that baby toy 8110, thats a joke 😁). 

Reality is that HMD launched 3G/4G feature phones only in developed countries. 3310 3G was available in USA,UK,AUS,NZ etc. and 3310 4G was available only in China. And guess what? Developed countries have awesome broadband coverage unlike developing countries.

I remember that in 2017 HMD India head Ajey mehta said that HMD wants to play in 4G feature phones segment. But where are they?

This all shows HMD's lack of intent and poor decision making skills.

Fun fact- Nokia 208 a 3G phone was available in India in 2013 and I enjoyed that very much. 

But HMD still thinks India has not yet moved from 2G by launching all 2G feature phones. Well Done HMD!!!

P.S.- Nokia 220 4G that could be a potential hit in India has not yet arrived and may never arrive.

😊

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @viccky I didn't realise that about HMD not launching 3G/4G non-touchscreen phones in less well developed countries, thanks for telling me. It certainly seems like a missed opportunity.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 2019
    madbilly said:
    Hi @viccky I didn't realise that about HMD not launching 3G/4G non-touchscreen phones in less well developed countries, thanks for telling me. It certainly seems like a missed opportunity.
    I don't see it that way. Feature Phone market in India is currently in a messy situation. JIO Phone is the reason. Now that Jio Phone users are going crazy due to the hw issue these phones have they will need new phones. But Jio is smart. They asked buyers of jio Phone to give their old feature phones and gave them a new jio phone for just 500 INR. This way the people with 2G feature phones had to switch to jio sim locked jio phone which is LTE. Now they are locked and many don't bother porting again but those who do can enjoy cheaper 2g plans. But 4G LTE users of jio can only enjoy cheaper plans designed for feature phone that work only on Jio Phone. There's no need for a LTE feature phone imo. This is just marketing and nothing else. Atleast in a country like India i don't see the need for a 4g feature phone at sub 2k price range.

I don't know what a Jio Phone can do that my Nokia X2-00 couldn't back in the day. Whatsapp on jio Phone is basic too just like the S40 version. Voice search is a feature but i am not a fan of it. But that feature is being used by many jio Phone owners. So that feature is indeed a good thing. 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:

Fun fact- Nokia 208 a 3G phone was available in India in 2013 and I enjoyed that very much. 

But HMD still thinks India has not yet moved from 2G by launching all 2G feature phones. Well Done HMD!!!

P.S.- Nokia 220 4G that could be a potential hit in India has not yet arrived and may never arrive.

😊

India was on 3G in 2013. Now India leaped to VoLTE so there's no need for a 3G feature phone. I don't think any operator in India even has 3G plans these days. And the available plans if any will be more suited for smartphones and no feature phone owner would be ready to spend on such expensive plans. 
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 2019
    viccky said:

😊

India was on 3G in 2013. Now India leaped to VoLTE so there's no need for a 3G feature phone. I don't think any operator in India even has 3G plans these days. And the available plans if any will be more suited for smartphones and no feature phone owner would be ready to spend on such expensive plans. 
    You didn't get it right. By implying a Nokia 3G feature phone in 2013 I wanted to convey that how Nokia was up to date of market needs. If Nokia continued with its phone business then they would have launched a 4G feature phone even before Jio. I mean Nokia was damn futuristic and I want HMD to be like that.

I am not asking a 3G phone from HMD that would be a very dumb decision, even I am against it. I am asking HMD to make 2G/4G feature phones (What Nokia would have done) and Nokia 220 4G is the best answer to my question but only if it is available worldwide including India.

Hope you have got my point. 😊
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:
    viccky said:

😊

You didn't get it right. By implying a Nokia 3G feature phone in 2013 I wanted to convey that how Nokia was up to date of market needs. If Nokia continued with its phone business then they would have launched a 4G feature phone even before Jio. I mean Nokia was damn futuristic and I want HMD to be like that.

I am not asking a 3G phone from HMD that would be a very dumb decision, even I am against it. I am asking HMD to make 2G/4G feature phones (What Nokia would have done) and Nokia 220 4G is the best answer to my question but only if it is available worldwide including India.

Hope you have got my point. 😊
    Even Nokia wouldn't have introduced 4G feature phone in India. It was Jio because of which India went crazy about 4G feature phones. Nokia would have made a 4G Asha touch device at start and later moved down to 4G keypad devices. Times have changed. The day when 220 4G is launched in India you will hear a lot of negatuve comments from guruji and such other youtubers and their followers.

I understood your point but HMD knows what they are doing. Strengthening itself in the markets where it sees more opportunities. The only feature that their phones lack in India is a big display and big battery. 
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @viccky Buying the 8110 4G? Now available at a very attractive price. :) 
  • Viccky Viccky
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The price is indeed very attractive. But I am not a fan of sliding phones and this is not a practical phone for me. 😛
    Are you getting yourself one at this pricing?

P.S.- if HMD had launched it at Rs. 2,999/- it would have sold a lot more. What do you think of it?
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    viccky said:
    The price is indeed very attractive. But I am not a fan of sliding phones and this is not a practical phone for me. 😛
    Are you getting yourself one at this pricing?

P.S.- if HMD had launched it at Rs. 2,999/- it would have sold a lot more. What do you think of it?
    Na. I am not buying. I have no use of it. 

Yes even at 3.5k it would have sold a lot and HMD could have gained a lot of market share. 😁
  • madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 2019
    If they sold it for €1 they would have sold a lot more... but that's besides the point :D
    I saw recent evidence that HMD is losing interest in the non-touchscreen phone market because their sales have reduced ~40% in the past two years but the market has been growing.
    HMD obviously make less money on these phones, so they're not as interesting for them. However, I think they're forgetting that today's non-touchscreen phone owner will probably aspire to own a touchscreen phone, and if they feel attached to the Nokia brand they will probably but a Nokia touchscreen phone.
    This means that the non-touchscreen phone market is an investment for the future, not only about margins.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    If they sold it for €1 they would have sold a lot more... but that's besides the point :D
    I saw recent evidence that HMD is losing interest in the non-touchscreen phone market because their sales have reduced ~40% in the past two years but the market has been growing.
    HMD obviously make less money on these phones, so they're not as interesting for them. However, I think they're forgetting that today's non-touchscreen phone owner will probably aspire to own a touchscreen phone, and if they feel attached to the Nokia brand they will probably but a Nokia touchscreen phone.
    This means that the non-touchscreen phone market is an investment for the future, not only about margins.
    A valid point. And this is the reason they should focus on providing better featurephones at affordable prices unlike the 8110 4G and they might do the same with upcoming 2720 4G. But they should also be careful that people who buy these feature phones do not start thinking Nokia as just a feature phone maker. If they assume Nokia as a feature phone only device maker then that would be a big problem.
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 2019
    Problem with HMD global is that they are not price competitive. No doubt there mobiles are solid built, but I need more than that. I guess everybody.

In fact I now have doubts on their build quality also. 9 years back I dropped my Nokia N95 in water but I was able to use it for next 6-7 months without any problem.

Few days back I dropped my Nokia 7.1 in bucket full of water, now sometime touch screen responds and sometime it doesn't. Double tap to wake always work.

Anyway coming to main point, I needed a new mobile. After hearing news about price drop of Nokia 8.1, I went to Nokia priority shop (at Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh) to purchase Nokia 8.1, to my surprise nokia mobiles are not available at retailers.

He literally said company is winding up from India and is not sending new mobiles to retailers.
    I am not sure what is with HMD Global, but I assume either they are seriously winding up from India or they are switching to Online presence only.

@madbilly @Kartik Gada @singhnsk @viccky can anyone confirm on this?

I wasn't left with any other option so I purchased oppo A9 and I am very much happy with the pause button in camera interface for video recording :D:D.
    No. This is completely false. If they were closing down their India business then why would they hold a launch event on 12th September to launch new devices in India? That store didn't have a Nokia phone to sell and just wanted to sell you phone from any other brand.

I am sure Nokia Mobile India has no official priority stores in the country. They just rely on big offline retailers and small stores. So, he just fooled you. :)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Kartik Gada adding to that, since the TNS Mobile is no longer offering distribution, the existing distributors would have simply communicated to the retail that Nokia is no longer available. HMD needs to reach the retailers itself now and build its own supply and distribution network.