VoLTE (and VoWiFi) support

Hey there, I was wondering about VoLTE:

VoLTE (and VoWiFi) support

sh84 sh84
✭✭  /  edited September 1
Hey there,

I was wondering about VoLTE: I can't help but feel that HMD/Nokia have basically zero support from mobile operators, apart from very few exceptions where VoLTE works. 

So, my question is this: Is there a list of operators, especially in Europe, in whose networks VoLTE with Nokia Android phones is at least in the works? Can we expect something here? I see that most operators support almost all or at least the newer phones from Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei, Apple ... but nothing from HMD/Nokia.

Any info on that?

Thanks!

Edit: Maybe whoever has a Nokia smartphone that works with VoLTE and/or VoWiFi could also post his/her operator and phone type here - maybe we can build a list in this thread.

Answers

  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I am not from Europe, but my Nokia 8.1 supports VoLTE on any network which has VoLTE enabled on the connection. But most operators do not enable it for Nokia phones.
  • sh84 sh84
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    I am not from Europe, but my Nokia 8.1 supports VoLTE on any network which has VoLTE enabled on the connection. But most operators do not enable it for Nokia phones.
    That's exactly what I meant. I know that practically all Nokia smartphones support VoLTE, however, almost no operator has worked with HMD to really make it work. 

    What I would like to know from HMD is which operators they are in contact with regarding this and whether they are investing any resources here at all. As far as I gathered, the operators have to send settings to HMD for them to implement in their firmwares, then that gets tested again by the operators and only then VoLTE will work. 
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    At Telenor Denmark my Nokia 6 (2017) had no VoLTE/WiFi - Nokia 8 got it.
    The additional configuration comes automatically in a small package Over The Air. I don't know if it's distributed by HMD, Google or directly from the mobile operator, but the firmware version is the same on my Nokia 8 as everybody else in Europe.
    Telenor use Nokia Networks as infrastructure provider, I reckon that makes some difference, Huawei based networks may be less cooperative.
    --
    Hans
  • sh84 sh84
    ✭✭  / 
    user389 said:
    At Telenor Denmark my Nokia 6 (2017) had no VoLTE/WiFi - Nokia 8 got it.
    The additional configuration comes automatically in a small package Over The Air. I don't know if it's distributed by HMD, Google or directly from the mobile operator, but the firmware version is the same on my Nokia 8 as everybody else in Europe.
    Telenor use Nokia Networks as infrastructure provider, I reckon that makes some difference, Huawei based networks may be less cooperative.
    --
    Hans
    Thanks for this information! No operator in Austria (where I am) supports any Nokia/HMD smartphones, however, one supports one of the newer feature phones. I did ask my provider and what I got from there is basically what I wrote above: There is an operator-specific configuration which presumably has to be implemented on a firmware level by the phone makers (I'm not sure whether this means HMD/Nokia in this case or if this is something that's part of Android and comes from Google, but I presume it's the former). As soon as the operator determines that a specific phone model supports VoLTE on their network (after tests, I presume), they can activate it for you via a SIM update. That's what happenend in your case, I think. Did you buy your Nokia 8 from Telenor by chance? Because that's also something I got from my operator: They try to support all phones they sell themselves, but they never had any HMD/Nokia phones in their portfolio.
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I wonder why A1 Telekom Austria don't allow VoLTE on at least some of the current Nokia branded Android phones. In my opinion they need to work with a European based phone manufacturer while upgrading their network to 5G.
    The explanation you got were valid for Nokia's Lumia Windows phones. They should update their 'go fish' reply to something like 'we are constantly working with phone manufacturers to provide new features in our network!'
    Technically it's trivial to have a phone work on VoLTE when the phone is stationary. The challenge is to have it switch between 2G/3G/LTE when travelling between cells, in and out of mobile or WiFi coverage, and when roaming (handover).
    The main, everyday benefit of VoLTE is a much shorter wait when calling and receiving calls and better voice quality - but only if the other party also got VoLTE at their end. Calls from the bank, dentist, doctor etc. with old landline phone systems often has lousy call quality in comparison with friends on VoLTE.
    You probably already got 3G HQ voice (or how your operator branded it) so it's just the dial-up time.
    Operators in other parts of the world bundle VoLTE with more services and features to make it more attractive to purchase a supported device. I reckon 9 of 10 Danes don't care if they are able to use VoLTE or not (I'm 1 of 10) ;-)
    My Nokia 6 was purchased from the operator, Nokia 8 comes from elsewhere, so there's no pattern in my case.
    --
    Hans
  • sh84 sh84
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2
    user389 said:
    I wonder why A1 Telekom Austria don't allow VoLTE on at least some of the current Nokia branded Android phones. In my opinion they need to work with a European based phone manufacturer while upgrading their network to 5G.
    A1 even supports the Lumia 950 but no Android Nokia phones, and Magenta (formerly T-Mobile) supports the Nokia 8810 but also no Androids. 3 doesn't support any Nokia phones at all.

    user389 said:
    The explanation you got were valid for Nokia's Lumia Windows phones. They should update their 'go fish' reply to something like 'we are constantly working with phone manufacturers to provide new features in our network!'
    Technically it's trivial to have a phone work on VoLTE when the phone is stationary. The challenge is to have it switch between 2G/3G/LTE when travelling between cells, in and out of mobile or WiFi coverage, and when roaming (handover).
    The main, everyday benefit of VoLTE is a much shorter wait when calling and receiving calls and better voice quality - but only if the other party also got VoLTE at their end. Calls from the bank, dentist, doctor etc. with old landline phone systems often has lousy call quality in comparison with friends on VoLTE.
    You probably already got 3G HQ voice (or how your operator branded it) so it's just the dial-up time.
    Well, that and with the coming switch-off of 3G networks possibly also the ability to talk at all. :) But at least that's still several years away. The support guy I talked to was quite helpful in fact, and also very honest - he told me what I wrote above and also said that they are working with mulitple manufacturers, but that it is also unlikely that they will support VoLTE on Nokia phones soon.

    user389 said:
    Operators in other parts of the world bundle VoLTE with more services and features to make it more attractive to purchase a supported device. I reckon 9 of 10 Danes don't care if they are able to use VoLTE or not (I'm 1 of 10) ;-)

    My Nokia 6 was purchased from the operator, Nokia 8 comes from elsewhere, so there's no pattern in my case.
    --
    Hans
    I'm also part of the 1 percent. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.