4G+ cannot be established

i was in japan last may and had a tourist data sim.

4G+ cannot be established

Lendl Payabyab Lendl Payabyab
✭✭  /  edited September 3
i was in japan last may and had a tourist data sim. i had 4G+ my whole stay but when i got back to philippines, my phone cannot establish 4G+ to my local carriers. is there any way to check if it has issues?

was on oreo during my Japan trip
im using pie right now

tested 2 sim both slots, tested one sim both slots, 2 carriers even reverse order. same result.

Answers

  • bump
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    You will only get 4g+ when 4g+ is available to the phone as the strongest signal from all the cells the phone has contact with, if it isn't in your local area you wont see it. Network Cell Info will tell you what the phone is up to.
  • friend's phones get the signal tho. mine doesn't.
  • jkdlhtlr jkdlhtlr
    ✭✭  / 
    I only get a 4G+ signal on the 1st boot of the phone, I mean out of the box after buying it and then boot, open data then boom 4G+ after that it turns to 4G and never came back. Hahaha

    I'm also in the philippines and I can say 4G+ is not stable, My Girlfriend is using A7 2017 it supports 4G+ but the data connection is too slow and sometimes it cant connect to the internet.
  • okay. it seems like it's a bug from Pie. the indicator for 4G+ doesn't show up even if i do have 4G+ based from Network Cell Info
  • 4G+ is showing just fine on my Nokia 8 with Pie as I write this, haven't noticed any problems personally while in Finland on when I visited Ireland last month.
  • Lendl Payabyab Lendl Payabyab
    ✭✭  /  edited September 19
    4G+ is showing just fine on my Nokia 8 with Pie as I write this, haven't noticed any problems personally while in Finland on when I visited Ireland last month.
    i also saw from the screenshots of net monster app in the play store having LTE-A coverage but only 4G showing in the indicator. are you using ta-1004? i might try to reformat my phone in the future to see it if fixes the issue. thanks for your feedback!

    edit: im using august sp right now
  • 4G+ is showing just fine on my Nokia 8 with Pie as I write this, haven't noticed any problems personally while in Finland on when I visited Ireland last month.
    i also saw from the screenshots of net monster app in the play store having LTE-A coverage but only 4G showing in the indicator. are you using ta-1004? i might try to reformat my phone in the future to see it if fixes the issue. thanks for your feedback!

    edit: im using august sp right now
    Yes, TA-1004. August SP here too.
  • how does the indicator work? for anyone who knows please enlighten me. how does it choose what to display? does the carrier affect it? maybe im getting 4g+ but the carrier doesn't send the info so it only displays 4g? Net Monster shows im using 3 bandwidths. id id like to know if my phone is working properly or should i do something to fix it if it has an issue. thanks in advance!
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @Lendl Payabyab
    First, your mobile operator(s) should have a coverage map online, to show what speed is theoretically available at different locations in your country and area?

    The 4G+ indicator is only displayed on my Nokia 8 when there are active MIMO data connections, typically when outdoors and in between multiple cell towers nearby.
    At home indoors it's always just 4G (but still around 40Mbps both up and down).

    I suggest not worry about the + but compare the actual data speed with other phones at the same location and the same operator?

    More about LTE MIMO:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

    -- 
    Hans
  • user389 said:
    @Lendl Payabyab
    First, your mobile operator(s) should have a coverage map online, to show what speed is theoretically available at different locations in your country and area?

    The 4G+ indicator is only displayed on my Nokia 8 when there are active MIMO data connections, typically when outdoors and in between multiple cell towers nearby.
    At home indoors it's always just 4G (but still around 40Mbps both up and down).

    I suggest not worry about the + but compare the actual data speed with other phones at the same location and the same operator?

    More about LTE MIMO:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO

    -- 
    Hans
    so is this different than LTE-A or LTE+ when i am getting 2CC/3CC connections? even if i see them in the network monitors, my device still display only 4G.
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 30
    All that matters is the actual data speed.
    4G can be slow or fast and 4G+ can be slow or fast.
    The available data speed depends on your mobile operator's network setup, distance to the nearest cell tower, how busy the cell is, weather conditions etc.
    It's always 'best effort' at a particular location, that's why I suggest refer to your mobile operator's coverage map to see what speed is theoretically available at your specific location before making further speculations.

    At the motocross race track 10 km south of the city 10-20 Mbps theoretically, but hundreds of people and their phones choking the network:


    At home, early morning indoors, everybody else asleep:


    Outdoors near the football stadium in my city, with at least 3 base station cell towers visible within a distance of 1 km:

  • Lendl Payabyab Lendl Payabyab
    ✭✭  / 
    user389 said:
    All that matters is the actual data speed.
    4G can be slow or fast and 4G+ can be slow or fast.
    The available data speed depends on your mobile operator's network setup, distance to the nearest cell tower, how busy the cell is, weather conditions etc.
    It's always 'best effort' at a particular location, that's why I suggest refer to your mobile operator's coverage map to see what speed is theoretically available at your specific location before making further speculations.

    At the motocross race track 10 km south of the city 10-20 Mbps theoretically, but hundreds of people and their phones choking the network:


    At home, early morning indoors, everybody else asleep:


    Outdoors near the football stadium in my city, with at least 3 base station cell towers visible within a distance of 1 km:

    im more concerened with the phone functions rather than speed. id want my phone to be fixed if it has issues. not displaying 4g+ on a 4g+ coverage seems like an issue to me. all i want to know is the factors involved in the indicator. 

    LTE+ and 3CC state indicated by multiple network monitor apps and still displays only 4g. does your network send the info on what the indicator displays? or is my phone software/hardware faulty?
  • Lendl Payabyab Lendl Payabyab
    ✭✭  / 
    here i have LTE-A connection with 3 bands. i still see only 4G. is LTE-A not the same with MIMO? im confused. network cell info also shows LTE+. so why does my indicator tell me otherwise?
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 3
    Please refer to your mobile operator / SIM provider. Ask them if carrier aggregation is available in your area, and if carrier aggregation is enabled in your mobile data plan on the phone.
  • Lendl Payabyab Lendl Payabyab
    ✭✭  / 
    user389 said:
    Please refer to your mobile operator / SIM provider. Ask them if carrier aggregation is available in your area, and if carrier aggregation is enabled in your mobile data plan on the phone.

    this picture should already indicate that carrier aggregation is indeed working and available. im concerned about the indicator beside the signal level. man we are running around in circles. 😂
Sign In or Register to comment.