Flashing plug icon upon charging. Not holding a charge.

My wife's 6.1 didn't charge last night. This morning it didn't boot and all I got was a battery symbol with a flashing plug icon in the middle.

Flashing plug icon upon charging. Not holding a charge.

thusband thusband
✭✭  / 

My wife's 6.1 didn't charge last night. This morning it didn't boot and all I got was a battery symbol with a flashing plug icon in the middle. I haven't seen that before. What does it mean?

I tried a different charge plug and cable and it's charging but very slowly.

After almost three hours charging the battery read only 16%. Now still plugged in the battery has dropped to 13%. After several attempts getting it to reboot (power + volume down) it finally booted up but that doesn't look good does it? Battery issue?

Comments

• whatever9 whatever9
    ✭✭  /  edited September 8
    The battery with flashing plug icon means that the battery is too dead to turn on the device, needs charge first. Since you mentioned that it's already at 13-16%, I guess you already managed that part.

When it is plugged in, the battery icon on the top bar will have a small thunder icon, showing that it is charging. Do you see the "Charging" text also on the lock screen?

My charging port is not in the best shape. When I plug it in, I get the thunder icon on the top bar, but still, it won't charge anything. I have to plug it in in a very specific position to have the "Charging" text appear also on the lock screen - and this is when it actually charges.

If you don't see the "Charging" text, first check if there is any garbage in the charging socket - blow into it hard (without spitting), maybe try gently sweeping it with something pointy that fits into the hole, and still won't tear the connections apart (so a needle is not the best choice).
    After this try again. If still nothing, you can try massaging the charging plug a bit (while plugged in push down-up gently), and check if the "Charging" text appears on the lockscreen at any point.

If you are missing now the text, and it appears randomly after this process, then congrats, you are now the proud owner of a faulty charging port. Mazel tov! (Or if it was only gunk, and cleaning fixed it, then it is not faulty, just clean)

Otherwise, if you have the "Charging" text already, ignore this post completely.
  • thusband thusband
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks, yes I see the lightning/thunder bolt charge icon and the "charging" text on the lock screen. It has been charging for almost fours, though, and is showing only 13%. Shouldn't it be fully charged by now? Even if the battery was completely drained would it take this long to recharge?

Thanks again for the explanation.
  • whatever9 whatever9
    ✭✭  /  edited September 8
    Yeah, then it will be something else, could be the battery, though my previous post was my only shot - hopefully someone has a better idea. From 0 to hero it takes about 3 hours and 20 minutes for me to charge, without fast-charging. (For me it charges 1 percent every two minutes, when the screen is off.)
  • sammy sammy
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Many HMD nokia devices suffer from charging port issues. Get your phone checked at nokia care.
  • sammy sammy
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Battery issue might be present but it's rare compared to charging port issue.
  • thusband thusband
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, thanks all. I'll be returning it to Nokia for warranty repair. 
  • my nokia 6.1 was also having charging port issue and changed it while in warranty period.
  • thusband thusband
    ✭✭  / 
    Yes, I got an authorisation from Nokia to send it back. Funny thing is I printed out the shipping label fixed it to the carton and took it to W.H. Smith, the DHL agent, here in the UK. They wouldn't take it without an account number. The email from Nokia made no mention of an account number. I took it back and have now requested a pickup at my home tomorrow. I guess we'll see.