Nokia 8.1 Buyer asks technical questions

Planning on getting a Nokia 8.1 especially knowing Android 10 is coming up Q4 2019. But I would like to ask:  1.

Nokia 8.1 Buyer asks technical questions

Gino76ph Gino76ph
✭✭  /  edited September 15
Planning on getting a Nokia 8.1 especially knowing Android 10 is coming up Q4 2019. But I would like to ask: 
1. Approximately which month will the Android 10 be arriving for the 8.1? 
2. Does the phone support Dolby Atmos or hi-res audio i.e. 24-bit/192kHz audio? Does the phone have built-in equalisers? 
Can the Dolby Atmos be turned on manually or automatically?
3. Is the 8.1 splash-resistant &/or safe in light rain or those accidental splashes?( A phone with basic IP-rating or splash resistant powers should be made mandatory for ALL Nokia phones) 
4. Does it have stereo speakers? How loud (in dB) can the speakers go up to?
5. Does it have screen flash when taking selfies in low-light? 
6. Option to turn on or off various Android 9/10 gesture navigations? 
7. Does it have options for different screen display modes? e.g. Basic, Vibrant, Saturated, etc.
8. Does it have Google Chromecast support & compatibility? 
9. Does it support apt-X or apt-X HD Bluetooth profile?
10. Does the front and rear cameras have a wide angle lens i.e. 26mm & above? 
11. IS there an option to hide the notch?
Also, A dedicated Twitter Support account would be a big help for us who wants instant help or have a technical query as some of us don't have Facebook or access to a PC all the time. 
Thank you.

Comments

• GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 
    1. No idea 
    2. Only the LG's have a DAC
    3. Yes
    4. No 
    5. Depends on camera app
    6. Partially 
    7. Yes
    8. Yes, all Androids do 🤔
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    1] Q4 2019.
    2] I use Poweramp and that has an equaliser and you can enabled hi res audio.
    3] There is a video of bloke shoving it in a bowl of water and it survives, i would not try it though.
    4] As GTR12 said.
    5] As GTR12 said.
    6] As GTR12 said.
    7] As GTR12 said.
    8] As GTR12 said.
    9] Yes.
    10] Dunno the actual focal length but it looks the equivalent of 24mm'ish to me (rear).
    11] Yes, although it depends on the market you live in as to how you go about hiding or enabling it.

• Gino76ph Gino76ph
    ✭✭  /  edited September 15
    Many thanks for the (almost) extensive comments and advice.
    I'm very excited to be buying the Nokia 8.1 but i would like to learn more about it. (My other choice is a 9 Pureview which I will raise up in another thread)
    Re the audio (Dolby Atmos) just to clarify if a music player support hi-res audio such as PowerAmp is the 8.1 "capable" of supporting it?
    If it only outputs mono approx how loud it can go in dB? And is it known/not known to distort in high volumes?
    RE the screen flash i would mostly be using the Nokia one. So, does it have screen flash if enabled or supported?
    RE the gesture navigations what exactly can i turn off or turn on?
    I live in the UK. Does that mean UK/EU Nokia 8.1 has the ability to hide the notch under the Settings?
    A focal length of 24mm or 25mm mean it is considered as "wide angle" lens?
    Re apt-X support I can't find that tech spec in the official UK website. (unless I am turning blind)
    N.B. My other choice for a phone is the Moto G7 Plus which has "proper" Dolby Atmos sound (albeit no in-phone equalisers), Stereo speakers, "officially" splash-resistant, somewhat bigger screen-to-body ratio and a lot faster charging.
    Thoughts and comments please?

• Valiente Valiente
    ✭✭  / 
    Hello, may ask why my nokia 8 doesnt have notification indicator for its app itself. It was startes when i update this into pie...

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Gino76ph said:
    Many thanks for the (almost) extensive comments and advice.
    I'm very excited to be buying the Nokia 8.1 but i would like to learn more about it. (My other choice is a 9 Pureview which I will raise up in another thread)
    Re the audio (Dolby Atmos) just to clarify if a music player support hi-res audio such as PowerAmp is the 8.1 "capable" of supporting it?
    If it only outputs mono approx how loud it can go in dB? And is it known/not known to distort in high volumes?
    RE the screen flash i would mostly be using the Nokia one. So, does it have screen flash if enabled or supported?
    RE the gesture navigations what exactly can i turn off or turn on?
    I live in the UK. Does that mean UK/EU Nokia 8.1 has the ability to hide the notch under the Settings?
    A focal length of 24mm or 25mm mean it is considered as "wide angle" lens?
    Re apt-X support I can't find that tech spec in the official UK website. (unless I am turning blind)
    N.B. My other choice for a phone is the Moto G7 Plus which has "proper" Dolby Atmos sound (albeit no in-phone equalisers), Stereo speakers, "officially" splash-resistant, somewhat bigger screen-to-body ratio and a lot faster charging.
    Thoughts and comments please?

I don't know if the 8.1 has Dolby Atmos, i just know Poweramp has the ability to enable hires audio but i cant see the point myself, it sounds OK at the default to my cloth ears.

I don't use the inbuilt speaker for anything other than notifications and the odd YouTube video, i use headphones most of the time, sounds OK for casual listening, i have never thought it is crap.

You can set the screen flash to on/off/auto i have it off all the time, pixel binning works a treat and unless you are hiding in coal bunker i don't think the screen flash is necessary.

Gesture navigation is either the normal 3 Android buttons as it has been since the dawn of time or in Android 9 it is the pill and a back button and in Android 10 it is just the pill.

In the UK (& EU) the notch is hidden by default and there is no obvious way to turn it back on, i much prefer it on and did it via the Nova launcher trick, i also think the phone is smoother having the notch enabled.

24mm to 35mm is considered a wide angle lens, less than 24mm is considered ultra wide.

When you connect a peripheral capable of using apt-x the apt-x logo is displayed on the screen once the handshake is over.

Regarding the Moto G7 Plus, it is probably a great phone but unless Lenovo have changed their policy it will only get 1 letter update (or number update i guess we should call them now) So the G7 Plus will get Android 10 and stay there, it will not get Android 11 and it will not get monthly security patches.

• Gino76ph Gino76ph
    ✭✭  / 
    RE the gesture navigations is there an option to use the 3 buttons system or the pill/back button system on the 8.1?

Have you actually listened to a track on PowerAmp player with the "hi-res" setting turned on? If yes would you say the track plays much better and there is no distortion or "clipping" or gaps?

I always taught there is an option to hide the notch. But what makes you say the phone feels smoother with the notch on?

When i connect my in-ear earphones to my S9+ after turning on the bluetooth on my phone it just says "Power On" and then "Connected" and it displays the percentage of my earphones and the last known or current volume it was set on. Does the 8.1 also behaves like this?

When taking a photo in Auto mode can you see a single pine tree anda double pine tree underneath the screen that would indicate it is set to wide and not wide?

I understand the G7 Plus is a mixed bag and has had mixed reviews since coming out. I know (and I hope) it will get Android 10 eventually but Motorola has not made public its roadmap yet unlike Nokia. And the security updates sometimes can be every other months, sometimes after 3-4 months. But as I mentioned previously I could those things that i can't with the Nokia 8.1 but is it a good compromise or is the 8.1 a better investment?

I also heard of atrocious customer support for Nokia. It is not known for great after sales
    and customer support especially with being clear with warranty covers (is it a standard 12-months or "does it depend on the which store you bought it" which frankly is just confusing) or what the warranty covers, sending it for repairs, etc.