Nokia 9 Pureview New Buyer Asks Questions + Software Update Query

I am looking into purchasing the Nokia 9 Pureview. But I have read more negative issues than positives. Until the latest update.

Nokia 9 Pureview New Buyer Asks Questions + Software Update Query

Gino76ph Gino76ph
✭✭  / 
I am looking into purchasing the Nokia 9 Pureview. But I have read more negative issues than positives. Until the latest update.

The July update (ver 4.27C) supposedly included performance updates to the fingerprint sensor and the processing of photos.

May I ask anyone if the actual speed of the fingerprint sensor and processing of photos has improved incrementally (maybe 2x better), much much better (3x or more faster) or the improvements is almost non-existent?

Any thoughts and comments please?

Comments

• stetre76 stetre76
    ✭✭  / 
    It might be that with the July update the fingerprint sensor got a bit faster and it also might be that the processing of the photos got a bit faster as well...still the performance speed of both is really not flag-ship worthy/like and far too slow to be of any good use...

The fingerprint sensor is simply slow to react and more often than not you get the message "could not read the print" or "you have to push harder". 
    I've stopped to use the fingerprint sensor altogether and switched to face-unlock, which works pretty well and reliable. 

The performance of the camera is quite ok, especially when shooting in Pro mode and if you know how to work the settings. 
    But - the start-up speed of the camera is inferior to pretty much any phone I know (and which is used in my family); switching the modes within the camera app is also painstakingly slow and the processing time of the photos is also pretty slow, even when shooting jpg
    Yes, i am aware that the N9PV hast to process the data of 5 lenses, still, the performance is simply not up to a flagship device. 

Nevertheless, the N9PV is a decent phone and a good day-to-day rocker, but the if your main focus is on the fingerprint sensor and the camera then I'd say there are better phones around...
  • Tim9 Tim9
    ✭✭  / 
    The fingerprint reader often needs you to move your finger and try again. The on screen instructions are wrong. It is a far from satisfying experience.
    Face unlock is also unreliable.
    Camera speed isn't a big issue but changing modes is incredibly slow.
    There is a focus bug if you use motion pictures which means the video is in focus but the picture is often not.
  • Gino76ph Gino76ph
    ✭✭  / 
    Thank you for all the comments.
    It would seem the July updates did not helped a lot with the fingerprint sensor and processing of photos speed. And even worse the camera bootup and changing of modes is a deal breaker to possibly almost all of us who owns a smartphone in the year 2019.
    If Nokia/HMD Global is like this in 2019 and is not pro-active in resolving software issues then I would rather go to a company that does take things seriously in this department albeit slow with updates. 
  • Ethan_MS-DOS Ethan_MS-DOS
    ✭✭  / 
    The fingerprint reader is still finicky. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Never is it fast though and you have to be very precise when using it (you have to look at the phone to make sure if you're exactly on the sensor - not easy when out and about).

The processing of the camera got a little faster. But, if the battery is less than 40% it usually takes 3-5 minutes for a photo. I could handle that if it took good pictures. But, it struggles to out do my four year old Lumia 950 XL. My six year old Lumia 1020 is better in low light than it is. You'd also need a tripod if it's dark out because there's no stabilization (pictures come out blurry without a tripod in low light).

Honestly, aside from how beautiful and fascinating the phone looks (the camera design is awesome), it's not a flagship in my opinion. I was looking forward to this phone and it let me down big time.
  • Gino76ph Gino76ph
    ✭✭  / 
    Wanting to buy the 9 Pureview TBH i wasn't expecting a flagship tier phone anyway. But atleast Nokia should have expected/forseen the issue and did not take advantage of the opportunity to prove/disprove the haters and various bugs & issues associated with it.
    After all the comments I have decided to erase the 9 Pureview from my choices of phones and instead switch interest to a Nokia 8.1 or a Moto G7 Plus which currently are my next top choices. 
    Thoughts?
  • youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭  / 
    I would say that's a wise move to leave the 9PV behind. Yes it's been slightly improved with some updates, however, when out and about and I need to quickly take a snap, the double pressing of the power button to load the camera is tiresome. Most of the time the moment has passed by the time the camera loads, also then I've got the chance that it will freeze up after taking the photo. 
    I've found the face unlock to be OK. The finger print reader is laughable. Only last week was I talking to someone who was interested in the phone, with all the negatives I had to offer I think they're having to think long and hard about what they want. 
  • As Nokia lover and owner of Nokia 9
    .of you love photography and not just shot impressive photos go for it..if you don't go for xiaomi... 
  • Gino76ph Gino76ph
    ✭✭  / 
    youhippy said:
    I would say that's a wise move to leave the 9PV behind. Yes it's been slightly improved with some updates, however, when out and about and I need to quickly take a snap, the double pressing of the power button to load the camera is tiresome. Most of the time the moment has passed by the time the camera loads, also then I've got the chance that it will freeze up after taking the photo. 
    I've found the face unlock to be OK. The finger print reader is laughable. Only last week was I talking to someone who was interested in the phone, with all the negatives I had to offer I think they're having to think long and hard about what they want. 
    You know I can live with a slow UD fingerprint scanner but the face unlock (or iris scanner) has to be crazy fast. I also can't live with a slow processing of photos. 
    My decision remains. Trying for a Nokia 8.1. or Moto G7 Plus.