Simplifying Naming Scheme

Since the very first announcement of HMD's first smartphone Nokia 6, there were speculations that at some point HMD would face the problem of messy model names. Models like 5.1, 5.1 Plus, 6.1, 6.1 Plus then making 6.2 successor of 5 series and 7.2 successor of 6 series, making 7 plus a successor of Nokia 8 and so on...

Simplifying Naming Scheme

Viccky Viccky
✭✭✭  / 
Since the very first announcement of HMD's first smartphone Nokia 6, there were speculations that at some point HMD would face the problem of messy model names. 
Models like 5.1, 5.1 Plus, 6.1, 6.1 Plus then making 6.2 successor of 5 series and 7.2 successor of 6 series, making 7 plus a successor of Nokia 8 and so on... 😟
This is apparently a bad nomenclature and needs to be sorted out. Even HMD officials have acknowledged it but they have done nothing to get out of this quagmire.

Here is me, giving my 2 cents in what nomenclature HMD should follow-

Nokia C series under $150/ Rs. 10,000 
Processor- SD 4xx 
Eg.-C1, C2, C3...

Nokia E series under $300/ Rs. 20,000
Processor- SD 6xx 
Eg.- E1, E2, E3...

- Least focus should be given in this series. (Let Xioami, Oppo etc fight in this range)

Nokia N series under $550/ Rs. 35,000 
Processor- SD 7xx series 
Eg.- N1,N1 Pro, N2, N3...

-N series should start offering advanced stuffs like PureView, PureDisplay etc.

Nokia X series under $800/ Rs. 50,000
Processor- SD 8xx 
Eg. X1, X1 Pro, X2, X2 Pro...

Nokia 'Edge' or 'Radiant' Series above $800 phones
Processor- SD 8xx
Eg.- Edge 1, Edge 2...

-An extremely high end series with all the latest innovations and techs (dont expect from HMD 😉)
-There should also be an EDGE /Radiant 1000 series only for camera centric phones like Lumia 1020 was.

*None of phones under these series should run on stock android.
* Processors must be latest.

What are your opinion on the current naming of HMD phones? How would you sort that out? 😀

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 18
    There's an absolute need for different series to deliver different experiences to the users. Given HMD's commitment to Android One, I also want a series which is not Android One.
    While an ideal option would be just one Android One series, but with closed years like that of HMD, even having one non-Android One series will be a big step forward.
    Edit: Ah yeah you already included that none would have Android One.

And one more, an online-only series which is more specs, less price since market is moving towards that and it would be a bad idea to not realize the potential of that market. It is not necessary that they should be selling the same phones all across the globe. They can develop different products for different markets too.
  • Godwine Godwine
    ✭✭  / 
    Your naming proposal is very reminiscent of the good old Nokia days. I actually like the fact you pointed that at least one of the series shouldn't be an Android One pledgee.
    I support this...