Bootloader situation

Got my Nokia 8.1 just two weeks ago, first impressions:

Bootloader situation

hrwx hrwx
✭✭  / 
Got my Nokia 8.1 just two weeks ago, first impressions: damn good device, great build quality, Android One, etc.
One week after me buying my phone was just going through the bootloader unlock methodls available, and I was dammed to know its not supported and that Nokia is not even acknowledging the requests of the customers.
Google itself allows fairly easy bootloader unlocking and stuff, I dont really see a reason why Nokia is so reluctant. I went through the forums bootloader unlocking posts and everyone is ranting the same.
I really hope that Nokia just starts the unlocking service because the phones are good, hardware is great and Custom Rom support would be better if only they unlock the devices.
If this just goes onn and Nokia fails to provide any way to unlock the bootloader I am pretty much sure, people are not going to buy one.
Just admitting it, I brought my Nokia outta nostalgia, and its work every penny but the bootloader unlock situation is something I can't unsee.
Frankly I have never seen any companya deaf as Nokia to not listen to the customers. I really wish that I had brought a OnePlus instead just for the developer support and a Company that listens to the feedback and improves.

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    PSHND said:
    hrwx said:
     I really wish that I had brought a OnePlus instead just for the developer support and a Company that listens to the feedback and improves.
    Then sell this one and buy OnePlus. You should have informed yourself before buying and not just to go blindly and then complain because you don't like it. 
    Unfortuntely, the first result that comes up about bootloader unlocking is HMD's website. And that doesn't say that it doesn't unlock any phone. It boasts that HMD unlocks some phones whereas it unlocks none.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @hrwx I agree with all that you have said. OnePlus has been a company which actively listens to feedback and improves. Not that they have taken bad steps, but they listen.
    As for HMD's Nokia, they might be doing good phones, but feedback collection and actions on it is next to none. They would take some actions on widespread issues, but they will still never admit publicly that this is something they are aware of and will pay attention to. So, you can only hope that an update in a few months will fix your issue.
    As for Bootloader Unlocking, HMD doesn't have any interest in it. And it is now wasteful to expect or ask for it. They just won't care 🥶. You should have done a little more research before finalizing to buy it, but yeah nostalgia wins too. What's good is that you don't regret the device entirely.
  • Rahber Ali Rahber Ali
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Most people I know who own a smartphone have never ever given two hoots about any of that bootloader stuff. Most don't even know what it is. Maybe at the end of the day, if the phone works well and does what was advertised in the first place, most will give HMD a free pass. 
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Most people I know who own a smartphone have never ever given two hoots about any of that bootloader stuff. Most don't even know what it is. Maybe at the end of the day, if the phone works well and does what was advertised in the first place, most will give HMD a free pass. 
    Fair enough and agreed. That isn't a majority thing. But as @Juho framed it (I am trying to keep it as exact as possible, but excuse my memory) during our meet at Dubai last year:
    "These users are less, but they are very important to us. Maybe we should have one device per year dedicated to all the enthusiasts. And I might put a poll on Twitter to conclude what device we will unlock next.". And since then, the official Unlock for Nokia 8 is also broken.
    Having an active community is in all ways only helpful to HMD and does not have any negatives (as much as I can figure).
  • slrparser slrparser
    ✭✭  / 
    You are the most genuine guy in this forum bro, always helping others @singhnsk. Not using abusive words like @PSHND or @GTR12
  • hrwx hrwx
    ✭✭  / 
    PSHND said:
    hrwx said:
     I really wish that I had brought a OnePlus instead just for the developer support and a Company that listens to the feedback and improves.
    Then sell this one and buy OnePlus. You should have informed yourself before buying and not just to go blindly and then complain because you don't like it. 
    Well I am not ranting, I'm happy with the quality of device, its just that the website doesn't really convey the whole information. Will be trading this one for OnePlus five six months down the line. But till then happy with Android One