Bootloader Unlock + Oreo + July update = bricked device (Qualcomm 900E mode)

So, we were playing with a Nokia 2.

Bootloader Unlock + Oreo + July update = bricked device (Qualcomm 900E mode)

singhnsk singhnsk
✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 23
So, we were playing with a Nokia 2. Did the bootloader unlock, and boom the device would only go to a black screen and PC can only recognize it as Quclomm USB Diagnostics 900E mode. The device can only be restarted to briefly access fastboot after which it will try to boot and get to the same state. The Nokia 2 was on Oreo and August update.

We decided to try the Nougat firmware, and all was working well till the Oreo update was installed and then updated to July 2019. The device, once again, only went to 900E mode. We locked down the bootloader, and it booted normally.

So, quite evident at this point that the bootloader shipped with July and August Oreo release breaks the boot chain if the bootloader is unlocked. I am not sure if that is a bug or done willingly. We did briefly flash the old bootloader and device worked on August update, but RIL didn't load and SIM cards weren't getting detected.
If somebody is unlocking the bootloader, then keep the above in mind. We ended up sticking to Oreo + June update and doing no further updates.

Comments

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk
    Looks Like Users might shift to nougat for doing bootloader unlock with NB1 collision right?
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk
    Looks Like Users might shift to nougat for doing bootloader unlock with NB1 collision right?

Yeah that's one possibility too. But after unlock the latest Oreo is a no go.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @singhnsk
    Well,they have customized it but it's still mysterious what components are modified and what changes are done because being a Fusion of Normal and Go edition making that unlocking process more complex and i think no one have V 1.15M build which i think it will unlock it smoothly.
  • manishh manishh
    ✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    @singhnsk

I am currently on may oreo sp with no further updates coming for past 4-5 months , i dnt need unlocked bootloader, is there is any way to back to nougat , i knw official ways doesnt work .
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @manishh
    You can do that still for now,using ADB tools or By Installing Via SD card through Android Recovery
    if you don't own PC then using SD card can do the downgrade to Oreo beta and then to Nougat 0.66A
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    manishh said:
    singhnsk said:
    @singhnsk

I am currently on may oreo sp with no further updates coming for past 4-5 months , i dnt need unlocked bootloader, is there is any way to back to nougat , i knw official ways doesnt work .

You can flash Nougat, but since the server has put you into Android Oreo channel, the updates that you'll get will be only Oreo eventually. You should try playing with a few VPNs to see if you get more Oreo updates instead. Because the person was from Kenya and he gets Oreo until August.
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 24
    @singhnsk
    Good Humor,As all users talking here are mostly from India then How come a citizen from Kenya Came here?looks like you do have software where invisible comments can also seen :lol:
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    @user1520881638007 Well buddy, not here. I met him on another platform for that bootloader unlocking. While unlocking, I discovered what I've mentioned in this thread.
  • UpdateNokia2 UpdateNokia2
    ✭✭✭  / 
    singhnsk said:
    So, we were playing with a Nokia 2. Did the bootloader unlock, and boom the device would only go to a black screen and PC can only recognize it as Quclomm USB Diagnostics 900E mode. The device can only be restarted to briefly access fastboot after which it will try to boot and get to the same state. The Nokia 2 was on Oreo and August update.

We decided to try the Nougat firmware, and all was working well till the Oreo update was installed and then updated to July 2019. The device, once again, only went to 900E mode. We locked down the bootloader, and it booted normally.

So, quite evident at this point that the bootloader shipped with July and August Oreo release breaks the boot chain if the bootloader is unlocked. I am not sure if that is a bug or done willingly. We did briefly flash the old bootloader and device worked on August update, but RIL didn't load and SIM cards weren't getting detected.
    If somebody is unlocking the bootloader, then keep the above in mind. We ended up sticking to Oreo + June update and doing no further updates.
    am sure now HMD put spyware in the device because they keep fighting bootloader unlocking and they don't want to fix the security flaws nokia 2 oreo has which making them total n00bs or they leave backdoors there for them to collect more data and activity while you are using the phone !