Nokia 8.1 over Nokia 7.2

I liked Nokia 8.1 over Nokia 7.2. Other than camera, what features would we miss out if we go with Nokia 8.1 instead of Nokia 7.2??

Nokia 8.1 over Nokia 7.2

EswarGade EswarGade
✭✭  / 
I liked Nokia 8.1 over Nokia 7.2. Other than camera, what features would we miss out if we go with Nokia 8.1 instead of Nokia 7.2??

Comments

• Argho Sarkar Argho Sarkar
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    EswarGade said:
    You won't miss out in the camera as well in Nokia 8.1 has OIS and with GCam, it's great
  • Rishi1405 Rishi1405
    ✭✭  / 
    @Argho Sarkar can you please tell me how to install gcam in nokia 8.1. Request you to kindly share a trusted link to download gcam.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 
    EswarGade said:
    You will miss out on the PureDisplay, a new camera UI, triple camera where one is a very useful wide-angle lens and trust me once you start shooting photos in wide-angle you are not going back. You will also miss out on a large 1/2" 48MP sensor, a better and more modern looking design. Yes, the processor is not as powerful as the SD710 but if you aren't a heavy gamer you won't notice any difference in day to day usage. Also, if you play PUBG you won't need to rely on the inbuilt HDR mode as PureDisplay on Nokia 7.2  can convert SDR content to HDR10 in real-time. :)
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    EswarGade said:
    You will miss out on the PureDisplay, a new camera UI, triple camera where one is a very useful wide-angle lens and trust me once you start shooting photos in wide-angle you are not going back. You will also miss out on a large 1/2" 48MP sensor, a better and more modern looking design. Yes, the processor is not as powerful as the SD710 but if you aren't a heavy gamer you won't notice any difference in day to day usage. Also, if you play PUBG you won't need to rely on the inbuilt HDR mode as PureDisplay on Nokia 7.2  can convert SDR content to HDR10 in real-time. :)
    Nokia 8.1 doesn't have pure display ???? Except for camera I don't see any major upgrade in Nokia 7.2 than Nokia 8.1 which has OIS infact in the rear camera
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Rishi1405 said:
    @Argho Sarkar can you please tell me how to install gcam in nokia 8.1. Request you to kindly share a trusted link to download gcam.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q6QaUjhSEgCcZQkkjhUsIWCic5tIXIE5/view?usp=drivesdk

This the link of GCam which I use, try opening the link in Google Chrome or Desktop(PC) if the link doesn't open directly
    Super User  /  edited September 2019
    EswarGade said:
    Nokia 8.1 doesn't have pure display ???? Except for camera I don't see any major upgrade in Nokia 7.2 than Nokia 8.1 which has OIS infact in the rear camera
    Nokia 8.1 has PureDisplay but it isn't the same. It cannot convert SDR content to HDR in real-time. The PureDisplay tech on Nokia 8.1 is different compared to that on the Nokia 7.1 which was the 1st phones with PureDisplay, Nokia 9 PureView and the newly launched Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2. :)
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 
    EswarGade said:
    Nokia 8.1 has PureDisplay but it isn't the same. It cannot convert SDR content to HDR in real-time. The PureDisplay tech on Nokia 8.1 is different compared to that on the Nokia 7.1 which was the 1st phones with PureDisplay, Nokia 9 PureView and the newly launched Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2. :)
    Nokia 9 also has Nokia 8.1 type HDR display, no real-time upscaling. That's only 7.1, 7.2 and 6.2.
    Super User  / 
    singhnsk said:
    EswarGade said:
    Nokia 9 also has Nokia 8.1 type HDR display, no real-time upscaling. That's only 7.1, 7.2 and 6.2.
    Wow didn't knew that. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Nokia 7.2 also has an early 2017 chipset and early hands on reports with it suggest the camera side of things suffers as a consequence. Given HMDs track record of never improving cameras once the handset has launched I'd be wary.

FWIW i do not think the Nokia 8.1 needs a gcam mod whatsoever, it takes generally excellent photos out of the box.

• mrbelter said:
    Nokia 7.2 also has an early 2017 chipset and early hands on reports with it suggest the camera side of things suffers as a consequence. Given HMDs track record of never improving cameras once the handset has launched I'd be wary.

FWIW i do not think the Nokia 8.1 needs a gcam mod whatsoever, it takes generally excellent photos out of the box.

I agree. The only downside with the stock cam app is that it is a bit laggy.
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:

Naa GCam is needed if person's like me who doesn't want to edit pics... GCam night sight is just super impressive
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    EswarGade said:
    I didn't knew that .. Thanks for information
  • seanetta seanetta
    ✭✭✭  / 
    EswarGade said:
    I don't think the 7.2 is a more modern design than the 8.1,just the massive notch is different. The 8.1 is very modern and stylish especially in my steel colour one
  • Raghven Raghven
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2019
    CHECK THE RAM MANAGEMENT IN NOKIA 8.1 COMPARED TO 7.2.

far better in 7.2(660) than 8.1(710).
    Nokia should improved this to increase performance gap between these two.
    Super User  / 
    seanetta said:
    EswarGade said:
    I don't think the 7.2 is a more modern design than the 8.1,just the massive notch is different. The 8.1 is very modern and stylish especially in my steel colour one
    The back panel of the Nokia 7.2 looks more modern with that light diffusing pattern. Looks more flashy and attractive. Will definitely start a conversation. Whereas, Nokia 8.1 is more classy looking design. 
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:

Naa GCam is needed if person's like me who doesn't want to edit pics... GCam night sight is just super impressive
    If you need to edit photos when you are using the standard app then you're doing it wrong mate that is all i can say.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Raghven said:
    CHECK THE RAM MANAGEMENT IN NOKIA 8.1 COMPARED TO 7.2.

far better in 7.2(660) than 8.1(710).
    Nokia should improved this to increase performance gap between these two.
    The RAM management has been sorted in Android 10 by all accounts, i guess HMD have finally dumped evenwell for the Nokia 8.1
  • sam000 sam000
    ✭✭  / 
    EswarGade said:
    7.2 is bluff the 48 Mp sensor is of Samsung not Sony sensor additionally it doesn't come with OIS support which 8.1 does. Only one thing in camera 7.2 has edge is wide angle camera lens. 7.2 uses 2 year old chipset where in other hand 8.1 is with much faster and battery efficient 710 chipset. In battery department both have same capacity batteries but 8.1 comes with fast charging and 18 W fast charger. On software both are launch with Android 9, I expected that 7.2 should launch with Android 10. And with today's price of both phones in India it is wise to go with Nokia 8.1 over 7.2. 
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Just to add the 48mp sensor will give 12mp results as well, you don't end up with a native 48mp image, although you can force it which all but defeats the point of having it in the first place.