Notification Light Not Working

How do you get the notification light to work? It is set to on, but doesn't seem light up when I get emails or plug the phone into the charger.

Notification Light Not Working

badger810 badger810
✭✭  / 
How do you get the notification light to work? It is set to on, but doesn't seem light up when I get emails or plug the phone into the charger.

Comments

• pneumatic pneumatic
    ✭✭  / 
    I've found that battery optimisation can interfere with notifications, so try turning off Battery Saver and Adaptive Battery.

For email notifications you'll need to ensure that "automatically sync data" is turned on under Settings: Accounts.

Each app also has its own notification light setting.  By default they are usually set to on, but I've found that some apps have bugged behaviour after toggling them off and back on again, so you can try a global reset through Settings: System: Reset Options: Reset app preferences.  

On my 4.2, notification light is working but only from certain apps like gmail, phone app, message app, and during charging.   Notification light is not working for other apps like Calendar app, Chrome, Play Store, Clock app.

The fact that your light doesn't come on during charging is most troubling - maybe the LED has physically failed?
  • badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks, tried that to no avail.It has worked once after a factory reset last week and I am reluctant to factory reset again. It could be a fault on the led I guess.
  • badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 
    I did another factory reset last night and it must be something in the setttings. As it was restoring data whilst on charge, the light was working, but not for message notificiations. This morning light not working, so guess the light is fine, but something isn't set correctly for it to work on emails and calls or charging today.
  • pneumatic pneumatic
    ✭✭  / 
    I found that notifications do not actually work at all in Battery Saver mode.  Previously I had observed that it was working in Battery Saver mode, but it turns out my testing methodology was wrong. 

The problem was that I was setting a notification in only 1-2 minutes time, but after a certain amount of time with screen off, Android goes into a deeper low power state where it stops checking notifications, and I missed an appointment because of it.   To clarify this is the behaviour I'm observing:

Battery Saver on -> notification set to arrive 1-2 minutes from now -> lock screen -> notification is posted on lock screen.

Batttery Saver on -> notification set in 30 minutes time -> lock screen -> notification doesn't arrive until manually opening the app which posted the notification.

Battery Saver off -> notification set in 30 minutes time -> lock screen -> notification posted on lock screen.

Under no scenario can I get the notification light to work consistently for all apps.  Never have I ever been able to get the notification light working for Calendar app.   

Conclusion: battery saver mode is not a viable option if you need notifications (which I'm guessing most of us do, and this makes it a pretty big drawback for me as battery saver mode nets me an extra 33% standby time).

As to OP's problem, I can't replicate it on my unit (Australian version sold at Officeworks).  I always consistently get the notification light when charging (regardless of battery saver mode).  With battery saver off I consistently get notification light for phone calls and SMS messages, but for all other apps, the notification light is completely hit and miss.

• I am finding that notification sounds don't work at all for text messages or calendar alerts on my Nokia 1+
  • badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 
    @pneumatic the light only works when screen is locked and I get WhatsApp message, rather than when it is charging or other notifications. I have tried with and without battery saving and have checked that the apps aren't optimized for battery in the settings and the data is unrestricted.
  • Having read the other posts here I found that turning off battery manager the notifications did work. While the associated note does explain that some apps may not work fully with BM on, it could provide more detail. No one would expect notifications to be disabled.  This is a critical feature of Notifications and diary events.
  • badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 
    @Blackwell if you go into the app settings, for the apps you want notifications for straight away, you can check they have unrestricted data set and that they are optimized for the battery optimization
  • mailphone mailphone
    ✭✭  / 
    How can I disable the notification light when the phone is charging?
  • pneumatic pneumatic
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2019

>How can I disable the notification light when the phone is charging?

After searching settings, it seems there is no built in option to do that. Pretty annoying if you sleep in the same room as the phone when it charges :/

I speculate that a system app might be posting a notification when charging which causes the light to illuminate. In that case open Apps and Notifications and list all system apps, and try disabling notification light for ones that sound like system apps which might control charging, eg. Android System, Android Services Library etc.

• Hanczvikkel Hanczvikkel
    ✭✭  /  edited March 4

If you use the ambient display is automatically turn off. I think, this LED only works if you don't want to use battery for ambient display, because have options for the charging, and for the notifications in the ambient display settings... And are separated. I use the LED light for the notifications, but I like the charging ambient display.