This is innovation that HMD could have continued

Hi all,Some of you may have noticed that Microsoft revealed a prototype folding Android device (not a phone, apparently, even though it can make phone calls...

This is innovation that HMD could have continued

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 3
Hi all,
Some of you may have noticed that Microsoft revealed a prototype folding Android device (not a phone, apparently, even though it can make phone calls... :D) recently, the Surface Duo.
This is what innovation looks like and since the HMD team spent a long time within Microsoft as part of Microsoft Mobile they obviously knew that this was coming, that it was only a matter of time before MS announced this (it was previously project Andromeda in 2016-17 I think).
HMD needs to make Nokia phones stand out, it needs truly headline-grabbing flagship features. I and others suggested several times on this forum over the past two years that HMD could make a folding device like this - much easier to make than one of the risky bendy OLED screen devices from Samsung and Huawei. But for whatever reason HMD decided not to try and do this, or anything else particularly innovative, only derivative.
Except the 9PV, which was brave and risky and I give them credit for trying. But in the course of almost 3 years that remains the only true innovation they've brought to the smartphone space, and so far we've seen no further development of that idea nor any meaningful improvement to the camera software. Is it a dead end?
HMD don't actually need to do the innovation themselves, because there's a huge catalogue of patents they can licence from Nokia (well, I hope they weren't transferred to MS during the sale). Why haven't HMD implemented the original PureView algorithms in its cameras? For me, this is a wasted opportunity; HMD could have continued with those algorithms alongside using the PureView brand and people would have known that the camera was great, but instead HMD's cameras have all been almost-but-not-quite-as-good-as-we-expected-them-to-be.
HMD could maybe also have continued the 3D touch development which was prototyped on the never released Lummia 1030 McLaren.
There are so many things HMD could do, I know they can't do them all, but they could at least try reuse some earlier innovation, otherwise they really are just Shenzhen-generic.
Cheers :smile: