Live Q&A with Miika Mahonen - Page 5

(Quote) 
That's a really good explanation, thanks.

Live Q&A with Miika Mahonen

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

As we now switched from dual camera to triple camera is set its own challenges and requirements for component placement, where round set up worked great on Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2  Nokia phones have been using iconic round camera design since Lumia devices like for example in 1020. Nokia 9 also uses round format even slightly in a different way. We spend a lot of time to get all details right. The phone it self is very simplified but when you take a closer look you can see all the carefully designed details like the camera modules that are crafted from metal in Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2. 
    That's a really good explanation, thanks. I remember reading that Nokia having cameras in the middle posed a problem for the PCB layout designers who would secretly curse you industrial designers! I didn't realise the camera modules are metal on the 6.2/7.2 as I've not yet had chance to see one of these phones in person.
    I'd like to know more about the simplification of the 6.2/7.2 design compared to earlier models if you can tell us more?
    Cheers :)
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 
    madbilly said:

We experimented with lots of colours and styles when designing Nokia 7.2 and Nokia 6.2. Our colours take a lot of inspiration of Finland. We are also very sensitive on colours and decide them carefully to have something that is timeless and not just seasonal. When we are selecting colour options for a new mobile phone, it must fit  the design and material technologies perfectly but also look consistent as a family.

I wish I could show you more of all the cool things we are working on now but we need to keep future designs as a secret and a surprise ;)  In the future you can see our new designs on our upcoming phone models ;)

A video of a prototype 6.2 in copper colours was posted on Youtube I think. Personally I think that colour didn't work too well, it was a a little brash, but that may have been the colour saturation in the video. The polished copper models from 2017 were stunning, but the fingerprints were an issue... although personally one I could live with :smiley: I think @Kartik Gada is right that metallic colours and the matte finish will work well - after all, the orange N8 was almost copper-looking, so a matte copper finish would be great!
    PS - you don't need to keep future design a complete surprise... you can show us some teasers to gauge our reaction before putting them into mass production ;)
    Yup, I saw that video but that was a very different shade of copper and was also a bit too dark in the video. I too didn't like that shade much but all other copper variants that HMD has released look beautiful. 

Nokia N8 — That's the phone from where I got the idea of metallic colours:with matte finish. 😁

HMD's 1st Nokia smartphone was the Nokia 6 and it was also the 1st phone that came in Copper colour with matte finish. I wanted to purchase that phone in Matte Copper but it was never released in India. So. Matte Black does look good and would look even better in this satin finish. 😊
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 
    madbilly said:

As we now switched from dual camera to triple camera is set its own challenges and requirements for component placement, where round set up worked great on Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2  Nokia phones have been using iconic round camera design since Lumia devices like for example in 1020. Nokia 9 also uses round format even slightly in a different way. We spend a lot of time to get all details right. The phone it self is very simplified but when you take a closer look you can see all the carefully designed details like the camera modules that are crafted from metal in Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2. 
    That's a really good explanation, thanks. I remember reading that Nokia having cameras in the middle posed a problem for the PCB layout designers who would secretly curse you industrial designers! I didn't realise the camera modules are metal on the 6.2/7.2 as I've not yet had chance to see one of these phones in person.
    I'd like to know more about the simplification of the 6.2/7.2 design compared to earlier models if you can tell us more?
    I guess he meant the camera housing. The external ring is metal. 😊
  • Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    Super User  / 
    Hello team,

Thanks a ton for this opportunity to communicate directly with designer of new Nokia phones.

I'm Nokia 6.1 plus user which having similar glass at back like new 7.2 & 6.2 having. In terms of design, curv and durability is awesome and can't be compared with phones of other brands. But only one small problem I felt is the glass at back is too sleepery. Why don't team think about some changes with existing design?

And why Nokia is still stucked on 30fps and 60fps slow motion? And that too with poor quality of video. This must need to look for upcoming phones. 

Hi @Lazysince1995  

Glass is non-conductive which means it is good for antenna performance. Also glass is more scratch resistant compared to current plastics and aluminum. In Nokia 7.2 we introduce new satin glass finish which will reduce visible fingerprints and feels great too. We are currently developing new material technologies to improve experiences even more. As always we welcome all the feedback and take it into consideration in new design projects :)  

By the way, have you thought about getting a Nokia case, this could improve the grip even more and also protect your phone?

Yes I got Nokia Case for my phone. But I hate to use that because I can't show off my phones premium feel.......... 
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Yes I got Nokia Case for my phone. But I hate to use that because I can't show off my phones premium feel.......... 
    I completely agree! What's the point in getting a super-smart phone then putting it in a boring case :grey_question:
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    madbilly said:
    Please can you talk us through the lifecycle of development for the 6.2 and getting them to market, and how they are managed once in the market? For example, how long ago were designs and specs for these phones first produced? When did hardware development begin? When were first prototypes produced? How did the specs change along the way, which features were dropped?
    Pleas can you also say how different parts of HMD are involved in this process? E.g. which departments are responsible for what?
    Once the phones are being sold and have been released in all markets what happens then? Which part of HMD is responsible for ongoing support, particularly monitoring hardware failures and producing software updates?

Normal development including hardware and design takes about 1 year to finish. We already had first design concepts for Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2 one year ago. Many departments of HMD work together to deliver a new product on the market. Including Industrial Design, mechanical engineering and software teams.

Quality teams supervise manufacturing and product quality. We make a lot of prototypes for testing design, hardware and software. In every project we produce hundreds of prototypes. In design we also make hundreds of material& colour testing samples and visual mock-ups to develop and lock down final design.

When products are launched to the market support teams are responsible for after sale maintenance and repairs. HMD promise of latest “Android that keeps getting better” means that you will get latest android security updates and and Android version updates.
    Wow, one year! Was that just the body of the phone or also the internals? Did these phones originally start on the drawing board intended to be mid-range designs with "older"chipsets or were there some changes on the specs during that year?
    I'm very interested to learn what tests the prototypes are put through by the quality team during development.
    When I was lucky enough to go meet several people from HMD in Barcelona the thing which struck me was how unaware those people were about of problems which customers were experiencing with software and hardware for phones which were more than a few months old. I appreciate that everyone has their own scope of work and can't be expected to know everything, so it would be good to know a bit more about the work of the support teams - which department are they in? Maybe @HMDLaura can find one of them, or their manager/director to do an AMA here?
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Thank you for your comments. I love hearing ideas and what our users would like to have for their next Nokia phone. Stay tuned, we might have surprises coming with our next models ;) 
    We like surprises! It gives us something new to talk about ;)
    If you're short of ideas I noted down a few...  :grin:
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Thank you for the ideas. I was actually a big fan of ExpressMusic phones design. We are always looking into improving the use cases and user experiences. That is an interesting idea :)  For OS, currently we are committed on using Android as our smartphone OS. And I am sure you have seen the new updates have started to roll out.
    Several of us here think that HMD need to use some more of Nokia's heritage in innovation, like PureView, and nostalgic brands like XpressMusic and Asha, to differentiate and stand out more. Nokia probably has the richest heritage of any smartphone brand, even more than Apple (who has a rich heritage but more in computers) and there's a lot to leverage there. I think if you took one of these old Nokia sub-brands and ideated about what it could mean today, with the intention of making it different, then you'd come up with some very popular designs - smartphones which highlight specific use cases as their raison d'etre could be a very effective way of breaking past the spec-comparison-wars and getting into the hearts and minds of customers.
    As for SailfishOS... there's definitely a market for a Nokia running that, so even if HMD don't want to do it directly at least please release a smartphone with half-decent specs which has an easily unlockable bootloader, provide usable source code and the driver binaries and we'll do the rest ;)
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @madbilly

Besides Nokia 6.2 and Nokia 7.2 I was involved with Nokia 800 Tough and Nokia 105. Nokia 2720 Flip was designed by our industrial designer Jonathan Lister.

Please excuse my mistake, I didn't check properly and may have misunderstood what Nokiamob wrote. :blush:
    Nokia 800 Tough was a long and challenging project. How to create the most durable phone and still keep good usability and Nokia identity. We are very proud of the outcome as it is very unique and functional. Super tough structure took a long time to develop.
    My understanding of that MIL-STD is that the manufacturer gets to choose which environmental conditions the device must survive, so which conditions did you select? Which test was your favourite?! :smiley:
  • Thanuj Thanuj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Reading this thread, I've never felt prouder before owning a Nokia/HMD device. It just feels great to see people directly working on HMD come here to communicate with the users... I'd love to see more Q/A sessions happen in the future!

Thanks @Miika Mahonen and @HMDLaura for organizing such an event!
This discussion has been closed.