7.2 - 48MP on an SD 660?

How is this achieved when the SnapDragon 660 supports 25MP single/16MP dual cameras?

7.2 - 48MP on an SD 660?

matthewkuhl matthewkuhl ✭✭
✭✭  / 
How is this achieved when the SnapDragon 660 supports 25MP single/16MP dual cameras?

Answers

• chiraggohil chiraggohil ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    its a pixle binning technology
  • matthewkuhl matthewkuhl ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    Is there a slightly more technical answer or any documentation on the technology? That is akin to an answer to a question by a parent who doesn't know the answer to a question asked by their child.
  • singhnsk singhnsk ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 7
    Same question here. And @Kartik Gada asked me the same a while ago too. I planned to ask @madbilly, but I have found this thread earlier than that. I will push it to the questions thread where Miika Mahonen is supposed to answer a few questions. Not sure if this will suit a design guy though.
    If anybody finds more details, please share it in this thread.

Edit: Asked it here. Likes appreciated (since it was said that questions with more likes will be more likely to be answered).
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I think other manufacturers have done this before, a 48MP camera with a 660 SoC (Xiaomi?) and I think that they tell the camera to run in pixel-binning mode which means it outputs 12MP photos which the ISP can handle.
    But this theory is not quite right if the 7.2 can take RAW images - can it? If so then I don't know how it works, but probably the same way other manufacturers got it to work in the past two years.
    Cheers :)
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I think other manufacturers have done this before, a 48MP camera with a 660 SoC (Xiaomi?) and I think that they tell the camera to run in pixel-binning mode which means it outputs 12MP photos which the ISP can handle.
    But this theory is not quite right if the 7.2 can take RAW images - can it? If so then I don't know how it works, but probably the same way other manufacturers got it to work in the past two years.
    Even if the image produced is of 12MP in resolution the actual sensor itself is 48MP and the phone also has an option to output 48MP images. I am wondering how is this actually working. Is there any way to check if these sesnors are true 48MP sensors and not just some fake marketing scam by Samsung? 😅
  • singhnsk singhnsk ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Even if the image produced is of 12MP in resolution the actual sensor itself is 48MP and the phone also has an option to output 48MP images. I am wondering how is this actually working. Is there any way to check if these sesnors are true 48MP sensors and not just some fake marketing scam by Samsung? 😅

Looks like a scam to me 😅. Were you able to figure out the exact sensor model used? Might find some info from the specifications.
  • matthewkuhl matthewkuhl ✭✭
    ✭✭  /  edited October 8
    Found this article for people like me who are unfamiliar with the process
    https://www.androidauthority.com/what-is-pixel-binning-966179/
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 8
    singhnsk said:
    madbilly said:

Looks like a scam to me 😅. Were you able to figure out the exact sensor model used? Might find some info from the specifications.
    Couldn't. 😅 But i guess it is the Samsung one because the Sony IMX586 can't be used on a phone with SD660. 
  • hikari calyx hikari calyx ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    The predecessor of Nokia 7.2 is actually Nokia X71.
    I'm not surprised at all if they choose IMX586 as main sensor.
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 8
    The predecessor of Nokia 7.2 is actually Nokia X71.
    I'm not surprised at all if they choose IMX586 as main sensor.
    How can it be the IMX586? It's technically not possible at all.
    AFAIK even the Nokia X71 had Samsung GM1 sensor.
  • madbilly madbilly ✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Hi @Kartik Gada, why isn't it possible? I think @hikari calyx makes a good point - the hardware of both phones is almost identical!
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @Kartik Gada, why isn't it possible? I think @hikari calyx makes a good point - the hardware of both phones is almost identical!
    Yes, both have exact same hardware and both have a 48MP main sensor. And this brings us to the question of this thread. How 48MP on an SD660? 😅
  • fahad fahad ✭✭
    ✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    I believe it's more of a software limitation too. The Nokia 7 Plus with SDM660 can take RAW images with the Google Camera port. They eventually added support for Motion Photos to the Nokia Camera App which earlier was limited to Google Camera too. 
    Moreoever, it could also be possible that the SDM660 used in 7.2 is an upgraded version over the one used in Nokia 7 Plus.