Festive Mood - Comparing the images from Nokia 7.2

A few days ago I got my hands on the Nokia 7.2 and I thought of comparing its camera and sharing the comparison shots here on the forum for all of you to check it out.

Festive Mood - Comparing the images from Nokia 7.2

Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
✭✭✭✭  /  edited October 7
A few days ago I got my hands on the Nokia 7.2 and I thought of comparing its camera and sharing the comparison shots here on the forum for all of you to check it out. In case you missed it, I already shared the >>Nokia 7.2 Indoor light camera comparison<< which you can check out. :)

It is almost the end of Navratri (a nine days long Hindu festival in India) and I was able to click a couple of pictures of the idol of Maa Durga with Nokia 7.2 and Vivo Z1 Pro. To make it easy I combined the shots from both the phones and labelled each of them with the phone model it was captured with. Nokia 7.2 images are captured at default pixel binned 12MP resolution and Vivo Z1 Pro images are captured at its default 16MP resolution. All images are captured in Auto Mode and I haven't used Tap to focus at all.

Sample 1

As you might have noticed, the image from the Nokia 7.2 is colourful and also warm where required and also keeps the blue shade coming from the LED focus lamps intact in places like the background and the walls. The hair and face of the lion, the face of the idol (Maa Durga) looks much better in the image taken from Nokia as compared to the image from Vivo Z1 Pro. Nokia 7.2 preserves a lot of details in such harsh conditions. More on this below:

Sample 1 Cropped

I cropped both the images to the same level and you will now see the details preserved by the Nokia 7.2. The design on the Garba (clay pot behind the lamp) is much clearer in the image taken from Nokia 7.2 and one can easily identify the image of Maa Durga on the Garba. I noticed that the structure of the image is boosted a bit to improve the details. Coming to the colour you can get an idea by looking at the flame of the diya (lamp) in both the images. I feel the warmer tone of the Nokia 7.2 does justice to the copper lamp as well as the flame. 

Sample 2

Marigold. An important and sacred part of Navratri and Dusshera. You will find this flower on every street during the festive season. I captured these images under direct sunlight and the shadows you see are of the tree branches. I don't see much difference in these two images except that the Vivo Z1 Pro captured a bit darker image as compared to the Nokia 7.2. The flowers look good in both the images.

Sample 2 Cropped

I did a bit of pixel peeping and noticed that the 12MP image from Nokia 7.2 preserves more details in the shadow areas compared to the Vivo Z1 Pro. This could be due to the pixel binning technique that combines the data from 4 pixel to form one superpixel. You can check out the crops below.

Sample 3

So, this image is the same as the Sample 1 but I captured this in portrait orientation. Again, you will notice the cooler colour tone in the image taken from Vivo Z1 Pro. The image from Nokia 7.2 looks vibrant at first glance and captures the attention. 

Sample 3 Cropped

I again cropped the image. Now, Look at the hands of the idol. Nokia 7.2 has controlled the exposure preserving the details and colour of the hands. Also, different weapons in hands of Maa Durga look much cleaner even after zooming in. Look at the Trishul's arm which has preserved the design details going around it along with the colour at the top. Also, the Gadda and its arm are full of amazing details. Nokia 7.2 definitely performed better than the Vivo Z1 pro.

So, these were the few images I was able to capture with both the phones. If I get to capture more with both phones then I'll share them in the comments or at least try to share more images taken from the Nokia 7.2. :)

Did you like the images from the Nokia 7.2? Share what you think. :)

Comments

• Arcadiy Kalugin Arcadiy Kalugin
    ✭✭  / 
    Like, like ;)
  • Game14644 Game14644
    ✭✭✭  /  edited October 7
    Nokia 7.2 has better exposure, details, dynamic range and color control but noise grain control doesn't as good as Z1 pro.
  • Vinokia_7_2 Vinokia_7_2
    ✭✭  / 
    Do you face an oversaturation of display in Nokia 7.2, for youtube videos? Esp after turning to Pure Display [Dynamic mode or SDR to HDR] the color saturation is too much that it looks like 50's era handpainted super noisy posters. .

Did you notice any such issue? Please respond.

PS - attached sample poster's colors is what Pure Display makes the display to be. I mean it's not exactly like that but oversaturated on similar lines.
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Do you face an oversaturation of display in Nokia 7.2, for youtube videos? Esp after turning to Pure Display [Dynamic mode or SDR to HDR] the color saturation is too much that it looks like 50's era handpainted super noisy posters. .

Did you notice any such issue? Please respond.

PS - attached sample poster's colors is what Pure Display makes the display to be. I mean it's not exactly like that but oversaturated on similar lines.
    I tried watching a couple of youtube videos where one video was HDR10 and the other was standard and noticed that the human faces look muvh warm then they should be in the standard video which was converted to HDR. The HDR video was mostly animals and I preferred the colourful video. But, most of the time my PureDisplay is turned off so I don't notice much of it. BTW if you have enabled the Dynamic mode of PureDisplay then see what happens when you turn it off. I noticed that it makes the colours much warm sometimes. 
  • Michael1994 Michael1994
    ✭✭  / 
    Great article, like it 👍👍👍
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Great article, like it 👍👍👍
    Thanks. 😊