SD card issue with nokia 7.2

When i am using SD card in my new nokia 7.2 the phone is not working properly and is showing lot of bugs in the photos app and when trying to play music in SD…

SD card issue with nokia 7.2

When i am using SD card in my new nokia 7.2 the phone is not working properly and is showing lot of bugs in the photos app and when trying to play music in SD card it is skipping automatically to the next songs and unable to play a single file and shows music play back erroe finished...Kindly go though the discussion forums in Nokia 7.2 with screenshot uploads ...If the memory card was not inserted the phone is working fine and and I think there is an SD card readability issue with the new NOKIA 7.2
I tried factory reset and also all the possible methods of clearing cache etc....NOthing has worked out....Expecting a solution in the next update

Comments

• Nelle3001 Nelle3001
    ✭✭  / 
    I have this same issue. I thought it was the phone until I connected it to my computer and I couldn't open a single file.
  • Same issue found in nokia 6.1 plus local music files can't be seen in google play music.
  • yodaphone yodaphone
    ✭✭  / 
    When i am using SD card in my new nokia 7.2 the phone is not working properly and is showing lot of bugs in the photos app and when trying to play music in SD card it is skipping automatically to the next songs and unable to play a single file and shows music play back erroe finished...Kindly go though the discussion forums in Nokia 7.2 with screenshot uploads ...If the memory card was not inserted the phone is working fine and and I think there is an SD card readability issue with the new NOKIA 7.2
    I tried factory reset and also all the possible methods of clearing cache etc....NOthing has worked out....Expecting a solution in the next update
    have you tried using the SD card on a pc or another phone? try formatting the SD Card & use again.

are you using the SD Card as "Portable" or "extended storage"?
  • Jaxto Jaxto
    ✭✭  / 

I also had problems with my SD card, mostly in relation to camera.. I couldn't open any of the photos I made. Since I removed the card and set back to factory settings the problem is gone.

• Any updates?

Having same problem in Russia. Any resets/formats/otheres SD-s not working.

Music/photos are crashed (same description https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/52376/photos-problem )
  • According to support -

At the moment we do not have the information about when you could use it as internal, however, you can transfer all multimedia with the steps on the last email in order to get more storage, however, at the moment, the best way to your SD works properly with the phone is as portable an this is to avoid that the apps crashed as it is happening.

So enjoy my gif for this situation.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

SD cards can be bad, has anyone tried using a different or new SD card?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I am using a SD card and it works great! All I did was to freshly format it when I inserted it to the phone and it is doing great!

• Nakagawa Nakagawa
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2019
    same issue with Samsung EVO Plus card and SanDisk. Both cards are fine. There are no issue with other device. Just quite intermitted with this phone.
  • RemkoB RemkoB
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi,

This weekend both my girlfriend and I installed a nokia 6.2 in the similar way. Some issues in regards to sd-card occured as well. Sd card (sandisk 64 gb), was installed as internal storage. Little help from Nokia support pointed out a direction by which sd-card was to accessed from computer, by setting transfer-possibillities via settings - developer - usb connection. In that way we were able to copy personal files from the computer to the sd card.

Despite this start, several issues at this moment:

1. my girlfriends phone doesn't recognize sd card anymore since this morning. Removing didn't help. Phone cannot open pictures from WA, since it's 'unable to store' (because somehow sd card is not recognized). Several apps crash (might be related)

2. Launcher 10 app and onedrive app keep crashing; I already removed onedrive, but I think it also has to do with the fact this app might be located at sd-card? Although i have not found an option within settings that clearly indicates primary storage location for apps....?

2. since installation, my phone did not show pictures (.jpg, not larger then 6MB) in a correct way. Some were shown, most of them have a grey colored rectangle on top and some of them are shown in very large pixels.

3. I believed the DCIM and picture folder as shown in windows explorer on my computer were at SD-card. Not.. So al pictures were copied to internal storage, ending up in taking up 18 gb of storage capacity . Looking into storage capacity, it shows 34gb used. when tapping the pictures, it shows 18gb of pictures, but when tapping the pictures it only shows some screenshots.. This could be right, since I was able to remove my personal pictures folders from the phone, but how on earth is the phone still recognizing this 18gb then..?

4. pictures were removed from sd card; this one shows 2,5 gb, but only shows 3 apps (not yet 100mb).

Several questions raised to nokia support via email before I found this thread; Received quick support from them so far, but when reading this, it looks like a big issue to the new 7.2 / 6.2 series.

Perhaps someone from Nokia can provide us with concrete answers for:
    1. what is best way to install sd-card; internal memory or removable files ?
    2. where to set up standard file location for apps, pictures etc? and what would be best set up for that?
    3. what causes the pictures not to show from both internal phone memory as sd-card?
    4. would this be items that can be covered by any software update at all or did we buy the wrong phone (hopefully not)...?
  • I'm a little bit late, but yeah, the struggle is real yet
    at the moment the only way to use any MicroSD is as side storage, and not as extension, which is pretty bad (my previous Nokia 4.2 could do it without issues)
    and as someone noticed, no it's not the SD that has problems, I tried with an A2 and the problem remains. I hope they fix it...
  • RemkoB RemkoB
    ✭✭  / 

Just did a full factory reset. Installed phone front Scratch without SD card. Ran all updates, installed all of my apps. Then inserted sdcard, formatted tot external storage, removed SD card and copied my picture, video's etc from computer to sdcard. Now IT seems to be Working quite well. All pictures are shown normally !!

• Lazerphazer Lazerphazer
    ✭✭  / 

I had the same issue but I bought a new SD card and I can see it on my PC but any mp3 music files I upload either skip after 21 seconds or skips instantly on ANY music player I install (google Play, VLC, Poweramp) but I can stream from google play OK but that takes data. Very bad experience so far

• Lexir78 Lexir78
    ✭✭  / 

Same prob here. Brand new Nokia 7.2

Tested with 2 SDCards(SanDisk) one that was working in my old phone one that is brand new.

Problems with both.

App downloads that are broken (Audible audiofiles, Pics from the Twitter cache, and so on...)

Cards are both working an my pc and my old phone without an error.

• Ghoort Ghoort
    ✭✭  / 

I have got the same problem with Nokia 6.2 and the latest updates. Files become unreadable in SD card. I made the simple investigation

1. SD card works well on PC, I tested it with different utils and programs. All files from the card are readable.
    2. SD card works well on the phone if used as removable storage. All files are readable too.
    3. It's possible to format the card to internal storage and use it. For an example, if I move individual app to the card then I can use the app without an issue.

The problem comes from Move Content to SD card function. As well I move the phone content to the card, the phone cannot read files from card or sometimes from its internal memory. This is definitely software bug.

• roger o'donnell roger o'donnell
    ✭✭  /  edited February 9

Im having the same issues : random corruption of files on sd for Audible on a brand new Nokia 6.2

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Can audible save files in internal memory instead of sd card? How is the sd card formated as removable storage or as internal ?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

How did you format the sd card as internal or external storage?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

How is the sd card formatted internal or external storage?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

The formatting as internal storage sems to be the issue,. If the sd card is formatted as external storage do you have any issues at all. Formatting as internal has never been a good long-term option as it is risky as any slight prob with the card can cause everything to be corrupted.

• Okay, I'm late to this little party but better late than never. I waited and waited for the 7.2 to come out and then had to wait some more until I moved to Singapore to get one. So, long story 'short' I got my 7.2 last week. Set up went fine and I had a nice fresh 128GB SD card, fast one too, which I installed & formatted and that's when the 'dumb' began.

The phone recognized it as a 256GB card - first thing wrong.

Then the phone said that 131GB of the "256gb" card was used for a handful of system files.

The camera, recognizing the storage switched to it and all images taken became inaccessible to other apps. Now, as an experiment I removed the SD card; had to reinstall a few apps, but what's a few reinstalls? And now, there's 100GB of free space but the phone won't take pictures because it reports there's no storage space.

Nokia, you pile of fin-loving muppets - was this device ever tested? I'd like a few colorful words with your design, development and testing teams.

So, I've got what on paper looks like a great phone - and frankly it makes a nice looking paperweight.

So, Nokia - what's the deal? You going to fix this or are we all going to slap you around on social media until you run back to mama?

Not Lord Byron

• As a follow up - I reset the phone to factory defaults and am restoring from a google backup of my old phone. The update to the latest release of Android is automatic - can't stop it.

Now I wait for the phone to be restored and see what happens. No SD card in, just 2 SIMs -

tick tock...

• Follow up to my follow up - removed the 128GB SD card did a factory reset and restoring a backup of my old phone on the Nokia 7.2 and so far the device is behaving; I still won't risk installing an SD card until Nokia issues a fix for the issue - a 128GB card should NOT be recognized as an 256GB card and there should NOT be 131GB of data used on the card for a handfull of 'system files'

So, over to you Nokia. When's the patch for the failed SD card handling coming out?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@Byron-Not-Lord-Byron Try not to format the SD card as internal storage. I use it as standard portable storage and it works fine. I believe there's some bug with the way device mounts SD as internal storage.

Worth mentioning that I use a 64GB card though.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Don't format the card as internal storage and you should be fine.

• I"m going to get a new SD card and re-try it without formatting as internal storage as you suggest. Got to admit - a bug like this is a major oversight. Stand by.

• A follow-up to my follow-up to my follow-up re: comments on formatting. Yes, if you format for data sharing (not internal storage) device performance seems unaffected.

I will say this: Come on Nokia. How could this get out into the wild and you still haven't managed to patch it? Sure, I can - once in a while - push files from the internal storage to the SD card manually - but why?

Why in the name of Wotan's beardy beard should anyone have to do this when the device should handle an SD card as internal storage from the get-go?

It's a beautiful phone. The camera (one of the main reasons I bought the phone) is excellent. But storage is super important - so, when we going to hear from someone at Nokia?

~~sound of crickets~~

sigh...

• i have nokia 6 and have some issue with sd card every time i turn on it tells me to tap to fix which means i have to format it every time my phone baterry die

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Google added the internal storage for phones with small storage like 8 gb. It is really not a good process when your phone has plenty of storage. It's slower than the internal chips and it is dependant on the life and stabiliy of the SD card. The SD card is really a different type storage and is really meant for storage of pics movies music etc. Not really the best practice to run apps off of in 2020.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

You should not let your phone battery go to zero and you risk corrupting the SD card and losing data. Best to keep you battery at 80-20 percent range. As for the SD card it could be starting to have issues and could fail backup all your data and look at getting a new SD card.