Comments

• GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Good, wait. 
  • Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Dhupe said:
    Taking 3hrs to charge the battery 
    Nokia 8.1 does support fast charging using Qualcomm Quickcharge 3.0. So, any QC3 adapter will be able to fast charge the Nokia 8.1. However, do note that the device only takes faster charging when the screen is turned off. Usually your phone will be charged in 1Hr 40min. It will charge slowly when the device is in use.
  • where is it mentioned that screen must be off to enable quick charge? and is there some reason for having the charging behaving like that?
  • GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 
    where is it mentioned that screen must be off to enable quick charge? and is there some reason for having the charging behaving like that?
    Read the manual, its to prevent overheating. 
  • Vicky 54321 Vicky 54321
    ✭✭  / 
    Just charged the phone in switch off mode and then check how much time now required?
  • GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Just charged the phone in switch off mode and then check how much time now required?
    Look at a clock and time it yourself, no-one is going to do your homework for you. 
  • couldn't find it in the online manual of nokia 8.1 (my phone --> support). could you help how to navigate to that statement, please? i have browsed through the manual and couldn't find it there.

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭  / 

Well no offence but it is **** obvious. If you have the screen on which requires power (i.e. the battery) it will take longer to charge as the screen draws power from the battery!! who would have known?

• GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 

If you think you are right, go ahead, Nokia phones ONLY fast charge when the screen is off.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Don't forget the battery needs to be quite flat to start with to get the fastest charging, the fuller it gets the slower it becomes so you're only going to see the fastest part of the charge at sub 50 or 60% with the lower the starting charge the faster the charge rate but even then if you unlock the phone and use it the charge rate will drop to 1A to prevent the battery succumbing to excessive heat.

• Alex10 Alex10
    ✭✭  / 

I've been facing same issue. It slows charging speed and even does decrease percentage of battery while screen on.

• Nokia 8 charged quickly even with the screen on. too bad that it had display issues (half screen failure) and they didn't have spare parts for it) so i got 8.1 to replace it.

anyway if there is such a note in the manual as is claimed, please.. i would like to see it.

• i did not find any hits on nokia.com addresses. all of those were some third hand sites. i believe that nokia 8.1 does not support fast charging while screen is on. i just wish to see that in offficial nokia.com instructions and not just rely on some random george or naveen on internet.

• GTR12 GTR12
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nokia isn't going to list everything, it's to be expected by the user.

Do you also want them to list the exact amplitude it charges at every 30 seconds?

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Good on you but you are wrong, it doesn't support fast charging while the screen is on, this isn't unique to the Nokia 8.1 other makes and models also do the same thing to preserve the battery. It is fairly easy to work out given just how fast it does charge when the battery is low and the screen is off.

• i think that it is very relevant information to provide. if the vendor says that the phone supports fast charging, i would expect it would really use the higher voltages and amps even when the screen is on, and if necessary based on real temperature, it would restrict the charging voltages. and that it would be mentioned in the instructions, and not just in the rumours section on internet. if it is not mentioned in the instructions, i would consider it a fault.

i had no problems with nokia 8 (which had android 9). it really used fast charging also while screen was on. i have a charging cable which has voltage and amp meter on it, so it is easy to see if it charges well. i did not notice any issues with nokia 8.1 while it had android 9 (however it was quite short time). i only noticed this problem with nokia 8.1 when it was upgraded to android 10.

so i have no issues with anything else than fast charging support, don't try to put words in my mouth. i agree that the phone don't use fast charging, i have seen it myself. since nokia (hmd) only says that fast charging is supported on the provided manuals and their own sites on internet, i would expect the phone would support the fast charging in any situation.

but i think the answer to my question is very clear. nokia does not have that in any of their own manuals. the information is revealed by the users.

shameful, nokia/hmd.

• btw, i have several other phones and other devices at home which support fast charging also while screen is on (moto x force, sony z3 phone, z3 tablet, nokia 8, honor and huawei phones), so other makes and models really support fast charging while screen is on. nokia 8.1 was the first phone in a long line of android phones/devices which i have had with such an issue with the fast charging.