New pie update V5. 15G - Page 2

@madbilly You're right about shooting video in monochrome, it's not possible with stock camera app. You're wrong about 60fps recording.

New pie update V5. 15G

Comments

• potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    The standard camera app doesn't allow recording video in monochrome, does it? I think 1080p and 720p are already in 60fps aren't they?
    Cheers :)
    @madbilly You're right about shooting video in monochrome, it's not possible with stock camera app. You're wrong about 60fps recording. This flagship phone doesn't support recording video in more than 30fps.
  • It's just a merciful update for a dying phone that is connected to the basic life support system, nothing more ... :/
  • Also got the update yesterday in Finland. No any visible changes, although to be honest I didn't really expect any either at this point of the device's life.

(incidentally, it seems that after becoming temporary firm after warranty repair about half a year ago, the USB port on my device is becoming somewhat loose again, so I guess my device is reminding me that it is fairly far on its life... Not problematic yet, but I kind of suspect I'll end up looking for something else before it actually runs out of updates in about a year)
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I kind of get the impression they changed something about the evenwell apps: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/comment/136509#Comment_136509
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    According to that thread, they're supposed to be "completely disabled" especially the battery protection app which is the one that  closes the apps in the background.
    On my phone the battery protection app is still running since the the update.
    Whether it's doing anything  is another question.
    5 apps and 5 hours if I remember right, ie it would only leave the last 5 apps in the task switcher after 5 hours and close the rest.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yep Still closing apps aggressively.
    Left 12 apps open, last night before bed.
    This morning only the last 5 were still there.
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2019
    Yes, @Mick1965 you're right ... too early too happy :/
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Keeping apps in the recent app list is not a quality in itself. Android 9 came with several changes regarding app behaviour and new restrictions, so an app has to do something useful to keep running in the background.
    https://developer.android.com/docs/quality-guidelines/core-app-quality?hl=en

I don't have issues with apps like Mozilla Stumbler, Sports Tracker, Google Music, a Bluetooth heartrate monitor, Maps navigation etc. - They keep running in the background (and are allowed to drain the battery as needed).

So, get used to tap the app's icon to start or continue using an app and all is well. Right?

-- 
    Hans
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I know how it works.
    Just because the app is not currently running, doesn't mean the state it was left in isn't useful.
    And having to start again is a pain in the **** when it decides to close the app for no good reason, other than to prolong the battery life another few minutes.

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Mick1965 said:
    I know how it works.
    Just because the app is not currently running, doesn't mean the state it was left in isn't useful.
    And having to start again is a pain in the **** when it decides to close the app for no good reason, other than to prolong the battery life another few minutes.
    So, you already compared the behaviour of the Nokia 8 with for example a Pixel phone on Android 9, to make sure that you are barking up the right tree? 
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Good point, but no not compared with any other phone.
    Could well be an android 9 issue if that's what you are suggesting.
    Just venting really, the statement by hmdlaura seemed to point to the evenwell apps, which was doing this.
    Being as these supposed to be completely disabled now and certainly are not.
    We can't really find out if it is these evenwell apps until they "actually" do "completely disable" them.

• uzair ahmed uzair ahmed
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Received but nothing to see new here.....
  • Received from Turkey
  • drwig drwig
    ✭✭  / 
    Anyone noticed that Bluetooth audio is really flaky after this update? I'm having terrible dropouts and rate adaption after this update....... 
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I was using the phone as sat nav and internet radio for a few hours yesterday connnected to the cars blue tooth.
    Can't  say I noticed anything different to before the update.
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Music listening over BT headphones just like before the update here ...
  • Duskoan Duskoan
    ✭✭  / 
    I have noticed several things after update to 5.15G:

1. Google Maps are now way faster than before. I don't know what is changed here but this is awesome. You can see this too if you go to Google Maps app, turn on the GPS radio button, wait for a button to become blue, and then tap again that same button. Turn around a bit and you will feel faster map rendering without some stuttering that occurred before.

2. There is no more slow connection to my home Wi-fi router. Turn on > instant connection is established. Turn off, turn on again, same happens (regardless of Wi-Fi scanning, I turned this off)

3. Third day has passed and I haven't seen that reddish tint around the screen. Yesterday morning, nothing, same was for the evening.
    It will be wise to wait and see later, maybe this relief is temporary or maybe they have actually fixed something?
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Does it fix the fingerprint bug? Contrary to popular belief there is still a long suffering Nokia 8 lives in my house.
  • ewange ewange
    ✭✭  / 
    Worst Android phone ever😩
  • AdrianoB AdrianoB
    ✭✭  / 
    still no update TA-1004 Italy
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @ewange, no, there are many Android phones which are worse than the Nokia 8. I think that probably most Android phones are worse than the Nokia 8. The Nokia 8 is probably even in the top 10% of Android phones, maybe higher.
    Note that I'm talking about total available Android phones, of which there are 12277 according to this website: phonedb.net. And most of then are Shenzhen-generic, operator-specific or local/regional brands which just take the Shenzhen-generic phones and rebrand them. The vast majority of Android phones are complete junk, and the Nokia 8 is not one of them.
    Still, it's not great either :D

• nokia 8 has top potential but has never been taken advantage of by hmd :(
  • abecedario abecedario
    ✭✭✭  / 
    AdrianoB said:
    still no update TA-1004 Italy
    received today ;)
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    madbilly said:
    Hi @ewange, no, there are many Android phones which are worse than the Nokia 8. I think that probably most Android phones are worse than the Nokia 8. The Nokia 8 is probably even in the top 10% of Android phones, maybe higher.
    Note that I'm talking about total available Android phones, of which there are 12277 according to this website: phonedb.net. And most of then are Shenzhen-generic, operator-specific or local/regional brands which just take the Shenzhen-generic phones and rebrand them. The vast majority of Android phones are complete junk, and the Nokia 8 is not one of them.

I bet it isn't even in the top 10% of the phones Nokia make @madbilly :D I got the love for it when it was launched i really did, i even said on here a few times it was probably the best Android phone i had owned but my god is it showing its age now and the camera and persistent OS bugs are absolutely inexcusable when both are proven to be fixable.
  • madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 
    Hi @MrBelter, I agree it probably isn't in the top 10% of phones that HMD/Nokia have made, but that doesn't mean it's not in the top 10% of Android phones overall.
    Lack of, or poor, maintenance is its downfall, definitely.
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited November 2019
    MrBelter said:
    madbilly said:

I bet it isn't even in the top 10% of the phones Nokia make @madbilly :D I got the love for it when it was launched i really did, i even said on here a few times it was probably the best Android phone i had owned but my god is it showing its age now and the camera and persistent OS bugs are absolutely inexcusable when both are proven to be fixable.
    How are you getting on with your OP7T?
    How does it compare to your old 8.1 and 8 ?
    Bugs, fixes updates etc, and mostly the camera and camera app, any clickyness etc etc
    Assuming that you are allowed to comment in this forum and not get deleted 😊
  • user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 2019
    My TA-1012 at Telenor DK keeps checking automatically for system updates several times a day after successfully installing 5.15G
    Did anybody else notice this?

With quarterly updates from now on, an update check once a day or even once a week is plenty good!

A mAh here and a mAh there - it soon adds up to several hours standby time wasted for nothing.

-- 
    Hans
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@user389 (Hans): where can i see how often it checks for updates? (My phone did the last check yesterday, i guess when switching it ...)

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Settings - System - Advanced - System updates ...

It used to do an automated check twice a day around 8am and 8pm during the summer, but it now checks more than 10 times per 24 hours.

The telemetry is on, and it's probably for Google to fix. I'm just curious if others see the same behaviour.

The phone otherwise works fine so I don't want to factory reset it. Soft reset is tried already.

Hans

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@user389 (Hans): Settings - System - Advanced - System updates ...

I knew - but I thought you'd found a way to display a date list or frequency or something 🤣

But back to your question: My Nokia 8 checks for updates about once a day

And then a completely different question: I can't find the "Answer to" button anymore ... where did that go?