Notification issue with Google Calandar

I've been having an issue on my cell phone the last few weeks that I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing.

Notification issue with Google Calandar

mikedig mikedig
✭✭  / 
I've been having an issue on my cell phone the last few weeks that I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing.

I've stopped receiving notifications on my cell phone of Google Calendar reminders.  I don't know if the issue is with Google Calendar itself, the Calendar app, or the Nokia 7.1 specifically.  As around the time this issue started, both the Google Calendar app had been updated, as well as receiving the latest Android update for my phone.

To be clear, I still get email notifications for events.  But for the reminders I have set to notify me on my cell phone, it stopped about 3 weeks ago.

I've checked all of the notification settings I could think of (both in the Google Calendar app and in Android itself).  I've also deleted the events and re-added them.  As well as uninstalling the Google Calendar app and re-installing.

But the issue remains.

Comments

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @mikedig.  Now that you mention that I will have to check but I don't think I have been seeing the calendar notifications.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Tested it on my 5.1 plus it's ok.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    @mikedig

Tested it on 7.1 and it came up ok.   I will set more for tomorrow at different times.  What type of event calendar , task or goal ?  

• mikedig mikedig
    ✭✭  / 
    Thanks for the reply.

I have it set as an Event.

Can I ask if, when it did work for you with your test, did you have the screen on when it worked?  The reason being that I've run my own tests during this time, and I have received notifications for some of the tests.  And it might be only when the screen is on at the time of the notification, but I'm not sure.

In any event, the fact that I had some test notifications work led me to believe perhaps the Google Calendar app was going to sleep for some reason.  So I checked those settings and made sure it wouldn't get put to sleep.  But it's still not working.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mikedig said:
    Thanks for the reply.

I have it set as an Event.

Can I ask if, when it did work for you with your test, did you have the screen on when it worked?  The reason being that I've run my own tests during this time, and I have received notifications for some of the tests.  And it might be only when the screen is on at the time of the notification, but I'm not sure.

In any event, the fact that I had some test notifications work led me to believe perhaps the Google Calendar app was going to sleep for some reason.  So I checked those settings and made sure it wouldn't get put to sleep.  But it's still not working.
    @mikedig

Yes the screen was off and my event notification popped up and made notification sound and popped on the screen.  So calendar is not being battery optimized?  Are you using more than one calendar at a time?
  • mikedig mikedig
    ✭✭  / 
    jdi000 said:
    Yes the screen was off and my event notification popped up and made notification sound and popped on the screen.  So calendar is not being battery optimized?  Are you using more than one calendar at a time?
    Not sure if you mean more than one calendar *app* or if Google calendar has an option to have more than one calendar.  But the answer to either is no.

I use Google calendar for only four recurring reminders--two of which I have set to come through email, and two of which I have set to notify me on my cell phone.

I've had it set up this way for well over a year without making any changes.  It is only the cell notifications that have stopped coming through in the past few weeks. 

So I'm going to try to switch my cell notification reminders over to email.  And we'll see if they come through that way.  Other than that, I'm at a loss as to the cause.
  • mikedig mikedig
    ✭✭  / 
    Actually, I'm going to try one more thing before I go the email route...

I've always had the cell notifications set to come in "0 minutes" before the event, so I'll get notified at the exact time.  But perhaps Google changed something so that "0" means no notification is sent.  So I'll change it to "1 minute" before to see if that makes any difference.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mikedig said:
    Actually, I'm going to try one more thing before I go the email route...

I've always had the cell notifications set to come in "0 minutes" before the event, so I'll get notified at the exact time.  But perhaps Google changed something so that "0" means no notification is sent.  So I'll change it to "1 minute" before to see if that makes any difference.
    Try adding more than one notification to each one that is not working. 
  • mikedig mikedig
    ✭✭  / 
    omg, success!!  So I had an 8:00 pm event set to notify me 1 minute early, and my cell received a notification at 7:59 pm.  So it seems the issue is that sometime earlier this month, Google calendar stopped sending notifications when set to "0 minutes early."  No idea if that was intentional or an issue somewhere, but that seems to be the case.

Anyway, thanks for your help!