What happened to the promise of Clean Android?

Hey all,  Yesterday due to some reasons I had to perform a factory reset.

What happened to the promise of Clean Android?

Thanuj Thanuj
✭✭✭  / 
Hey all, 

Yesterday due to some reasons I had to perform a factory reset. After setting the device up, I noticed there were some additional apps installed other than the stock Google apps that Nokia phones come with. They were Phone Pe, Dailyhunt and Sharechat.

While Phone Pe and Sharechat were PWAs that were installed from Chrome, Dailyhunt was installed as a full app. 

Moreover, These apps were conveniently placed on the second page of the Homescreen which will not be visible untill the user swipes to go to the next page.

While these apps are still un-installable, I do not expect such bloatapps to be there in the first place. What happened to your promise of Clean and Secure software Nokia?

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    My initial check suggests that these apps are coming from Google and not from HMD. Because it was marked as "From Google". Now only if I had root, I could have jumped into the OS to check if a placeholder existed already. It could be a part of QuickStep or maybe Play Services. It is also possible that HMD bundled it.
  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 3
    I did reset Nokia 2,Nokia 6.1,Nokia 8.1 couple of time i didn't see any application pre installed on those phones.
    Might you set some settings to your Google Account/Google Drive which install those application while adding Google account.
    Are you tried set up new device without adding Google account?
    If not try it without adding any Google account.
    Tell me which model you are using right now?
  • mekiahmadsakti97 mekiahmadsakti97
    ✭✭  /  edited November 7
    why my Nokia 2 can be like this, even though what I did was renew the security system because a notification came up with a security system update, but after I downloaded what happened instead my Nokia 2 android smartphone could not be used anymore.  I want a solution to fix it?
  • Thanuj Thanuj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    I did reset Nokia 2,Nokia 6.1,Nokia 8.1 couple of time i didn't see any application pre installed on those phones.
    Might you set some settings to your Google Account/Google Drive which install those application while adding Google account.
    Are you tried set up new device without adding Google account?
    If not try it without adding any Google account.
    Tell me which model you are using right now?
    Hello, Well I specifically chose the option not to restore apps and settings because I wanted a clean start. Moreover I set up my phone with Mobile Data which makes GMS to not download apps during setup without a WiFi Connection or unless I get to the homescreen and explicitly give permission to allow download of apps through WiFi.

I am using a Nokia 6.1 plus
  • Thanuj Thanuj
    ✭✭✭  /  edited November 7
    singhnsk said:
    My initial check suggests that these apps are coming from Google and not from HMD. Because it was marked as "From Google". Now only if I had root, I could have jumped into the OS to check if a placeholder existed already. It could be a part of QuickStep or maybe Play Services. It is also possible that HMD bundled it.
    As I said, 2 of the apps were from Chrome, Installed as PWAs and DailyHunt was installed as user-app even before I opened Google Play for the first time after the setup. Could be either Google or HMD.

But if it was Google, Then other phones in the IN region should be affected to no?
  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanuj said:
    singhnsk said:
    As I said, 2 of the apps were from Chrome, Installed as PWAs and DailyHunt was installed as user-app even before I opened Google Play for the first time after the setup. Could be either Google or HMD.

But if it was Google, Then other phones in the IN region should be affected to no?
    Why don't you try without using any sim in device and wifi to setup your device.I mean skip everything in new setup i.e.google, data,wifi network in process untill get to the home screen and then even if you found such application then it's might your device get affected or something wrong with Software.
  • Thanuj Thanuj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Thanuj said:
    singhnsk said:

Why don't you try without using any sim in device and wifi to setup your device.I mean skip everything in new setup i.e.google, data,wifi network in process untill get to the home screen and then even if you found such application then it's might your device get affected or something wrong with Software.

singhnsk said:
    Unfortunately that's not possible because of FRP lock. I will require Internet Connection if I choose the factory reset and setup my device.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanuj said:
    singhnsk said:

Other phones are affected too. I checked it for myself and only then I confirmed it. During the initial setup, you will see the DailyHunt app marked as "From Google" and alongside Play Books, Files Go, Play Games and other native Google apps. Sure this is not Google alone, instead Google and HMD are together doing something. Probably to open up a new revenue stream xD
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Thanuj said:
    Thanuj said:
    singhnsk said:

singhnsk said:
    Unfortunately that's not possible because of FRP lock. I will require Internet Connection if I choose the factory reset and setup my device.

You can remove Google account before reset to avoid FRP. But as I have already tested, the DailyHunt will still get installed whenever you will connect to data/WiFi and finish the setup process. The other 2 shortcuts to Chrome will not be installed though.