No. It's not capturing 48 MP images.

I setted the photo resolution to 4:3 48 MP from camera settings, and took some photos from Nokia 7.2. here is what I got. (Image)

No. It's not capturing 48 MP images.

shaikh amaan fm shaikh amaan fm
✭✭  /  edited November 3
I setted the photo resolution to 4:3 48 MP from camera settings, and took some photos from Nokia 7.2.
here is what I got.

Earlier I had taken a photo from my Nokia Lumia 1020, a 41 MP sensor, and here it is,

Yeah the moon is full here in 1020, but still you can compare and see that Lumia 1020 got drastically more detailed image than the Nokia 7.2 even when it has a 41 MP sensor as compared to the 48 MP in Nokia 7.2

Strangely, when I setted the resolution to 16:9 9 MP, I got comparatively better photo,

Im confused. :confused: 

Is there any software thing doing this or is the sensor actually not capable of taking 48 MP pictures. If it is not capable, then it is a clear gimmick from Samsung, and not Nokia.

Comments

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No matter what Nokia device you use (41mp or 48mp), all you need is proper focus on subject. So then only you should comment or decide the quality of picture.

Nokia 7.2 click is not focus at any. And that last pic is lil blur which is slightly focus before subject. That's the problem.

Go to pro mode. Set everything auto. And mandatory to keep Focus on infinity (100%) then only it will be properly focused. Try experimenting with steady hands you will notice the difference. 

4:3 is best to get full resolution. 
  • shaikh amaan fm shaikh amaan fm
    ✭✭  /  edited November 3
    No matter what Nokia device you use (41mp or 48mp), all you need is proper focus on subject. So then only you should comment or decide the quality of picture.

Nokia 7.2 click is not focus at any. And that last pic is lil blur which is slightly focus before subject. That's the problem.

Go to pro mode. Set everything auto. And mandatory to keep Focus on infinity (100%) then only it will be properly focused. Try experimenting with steady hands you will notice the difference. 

4:3 is best to get full resolution. 
    That blur you talked about is not because of focus, focus is already setted to infinity. and I have captured all the photos above in pro mode, in the lumia 1020 as well. Steady hands are not required here as the shutter speed was 1/500 s, still my hands were steady enough. And I'm not stupid to comment about the quality, without looking at focus. You should have easily judged this with the photos I took. Atleast with the one from Lumia. You can't capture moon that way without some manual settings.
    Waiting for your Reply...
    ✭✭✭  / 
    If you have correctly focused then camera failed to captures that's it. 

And From that resolution  6000 X 8000 = 48mp
    7712 x 4352 = 33.6 mp
    2250 x 4000 = 9 mp 

As per my experience Lumia performs much better than current nokia camera (to be specific camera app)

✭✭  /  edited November 3
    If you have correctly focused then camera failed to captures that's it. 

And From that resolution  6000 X 8000 = 48mp
    7712 x 4352 = 33.6 mp
    2250 x 4000 = 9 mp 

As per my experience Lumia performs much better than current nokia camera (to be specific camera app)

I have tried with the open camera with camera2 api enabled, but that didn't fixed the quality as well. And as far as I have readed, the Samsung sensor GM1 does not actually uses 48 MP to capture image, it takes 12 MP image and makes it a 48 MP one using AI. The camera is capable in other departments though, I just got quite disappointed with the absence of a true 48 MP capture.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    here i got some info regarding camera sensor of nokia 7.2 -

https://gizmodo.com/nokia-put-a-huge-48mp-camera-on-its-newest-midrange-pho-1837820638

https://www.digit.in/features/mobile-phones/explained-pixel-binning-in-smartphone-camera-sensors-43278.html

Go to links one by one.

When lumia  1020 launched back in 2013 that time we don't had one technique called Pixel Binning. But now a days every smartphone or specially mid range phones having this technique for low light. We know this or call this as Night mode.

Suppose one phone having 40mp camera but want to give better results at night then it will use this pixel binning technique (which reduce quality of picture about 70-75%). So that phone will give you only 10mp resolution using same camera sensor.

In Lumia we directly used to set higher ISO or low shutter speed to overcome low light.
  • here i got some info regarding camera sensor of nokia 7.2 -

https://gizmodo.com/nokia-put-a-huge-48mp-camera-on-its-newest-midrange-pho-1837820638

https://www.digit.in/features/mobile-phones/explained-pixel-binning-in-smartphone-camera-sensors-43278.html

Go to links one by one.

When lumia  1020 launched back in 2013 that time we don't had one technique called Pixel Binning. But now a days every smartphone or specially mid range phones having this technique for low light. We know this or call this as Night mode.

Suppose one phone having 40mp camera but want to give better results at night then it will use this pixel binning technique (which reduce quality of picture about 70-75%). So that phone will give you only 10mp resolution using same camera sensor.

In Lumia we directly used to set higher ISO or low shutter speed to overcome low light.
    Yeah I know about this technique, but the sony imx sensor is able to break in to actual 48 MP, so it takes actual 48 MP photos.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Yes that sony imx is good in terms of actual 48mp output
  • Yes that sony imx is good in terms of actual 48mp output
    Have a look, I just captured this from my Nokia 7.2 in Mumbai, which is a heavily light polluted area. I was not able to see these many stars, but my phone saw a lot 🤩

Zoom into this photo to see what is captured.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Damn its awesome...
    How much shutter speed it supports?
    1/500 to how much?
  • Damn its awesome...
    1/500 to how much?
    In the stock camera app the shutter speed can go till 20 seconds. In open camera with camera2 api enabled, it offered 32 seconds of shutter speed. Other phones with the same image sensor, that is the Redmi Note 7s that I saw offered 0.5 seconds in the same app 🤭. 
  • Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited November 4
    Hi @shaikh amaan fm 
    Nokia 7.2 does have a "48MP" sensor but it uses pixel binning. So, the actual output will be 12MP after combining 4 pixels into 1. Now, here's the main issue. Nokia Lumia 1020 has a very big sensor along with such high resolution. So, the pixel size was naturally bigger. This helped the phone capture some amazing photos that look much better than some budget point and shoot cameras. Even, the phones with Sony IMX586 cannot match the quality of Lumia 1020 if you switch to full resolution. PureView was at another level :)

I suggest you don't enable the 48MP mode as it just stretches the 12MP image to 48MP using the software.

Other manufacturers do not allow to shoot 48MP images in auto mode (I have tried Oneplus 7 which allowed capturing 48MP images only in Pro Mode)

Edit: I just saw both of your images and they look out of focus too.
  • Hi @shaikh amaan fm 
    Nokia 7.2 does have a "48MP" sensor but it uses pixel binning. So, the actual output will be 12MP after combining 4 pixels into 1. Now, here's the main issue. Nokia Lumia 1020 has a very big sensor along with such high resolution. So, the pixel size was naturally bigger. This helped the phone capture some amazing photos that look much better than some budget point and shoot cameras. Even, the phones with Sony IMX586 cannot match the quality of Lumia 1020 if you switch to full resolution. PureView was at another level :)

I suggest you don't enable the 48MP mode as it just stretches the 12MP image to 48MP using the software.

Other manufacturers do not allow to shoot 48MP images in auto mode (I have tried Oneplus 7 which allowed capturing 48MP images only in Pro Mode)

That info about your experience with other phones was very helpful for me 😄. I'll consider your edit part, as now two people have complaint about it. Waiting for the arrival of moon here, So I can put my phone to test again. Will let you know what does it results in. If you have a 7.2 and can sight moon tonight, I would love to see results from your side as well.
    Hi @shaikh amaan fm 

That info about your experience with other phones was very helpful for me 😄. I'll consider your edit part, as now two people have complaint about it. Waiting for the arrival of moon here, So I can put my phone to test again. Will let you know what does it results in. If you have a 7.2 and can sight moon tonight, I would love to see results from your side as well.
    Yeah, the sky is clear today in Mumbai. Try it 😉

Edit: I have always failed to capture the moon. All I get is a white dot. :D
  • Yeah, the sky is clear today in Mumbai. Try it 😉

Edit: I have always failed to capture the moon. All I get is a white dot. :D
    Try pro mode, keep iso at 100, Shutter speed around 1/500 (play with it to get better results) , and focus obviously to furthest, hope it will help you to capture a good pic of moon.
    ✭✭  /  edited November 4
    @Kartik Gada  @Lazysince1995
    I captured the photo of moon again and can assure you it's not a focus problem.

This photo came after a bit of editing to reduce heavy noice.

@Kartik Gada  @Lazysince1995

I was out clicking photos in Mumbai and it wasn't so dark. Where did you get night in Mumbai at this time. 🤔

Btw, I just noticed that infinity focus doesn't work and just blurs the moon. Set the focus just below infinity and try. Also, it seems you are using digital zoom which will further reduce the quality.  

Honestly speaking it isn't easy to click photos of moon. 😅
  • @Kartik Gada  @Lazysince1995

I was out clicking photos in Mumbai ans it wasn't so dark. How did you get night so early. 🤔

Btw, I just noticed that infinity focus doesn't work and just blurs the moon. Set the focus just below infinity and try.

Honestly speaking it isn't easy to click photos of moon. 😅
    Yeah I know that infinity doesn't works well, I adjusted the best I could see, which was just before the infinity, btw, the photo wasn't that dark, I edited it and put the black level to all the way.
     The original photo:

✭✭✭  /  edited November 4
    To remove noise you can increase color noise and luminance noise in photoshop express (app). And this app is really good for long exposure shots. 
  • To remove noise you can increase color noise and luminance noise in photoshop express (app). And this app is really good for long exposure shots. 
    Thanks for suggestions 😊
  • Ashutoshh Ashutoshh
    ✭✭  / 
    Damn its awesome...
    1/500 to how much?
    In the stock camera app the shutter speed can go till 20 seconds. In open camera with camera2 api enabled, it offered 32 seconds of shutter speed. Other phones with the same image sensor, that is the Redmi Note 7s that I saw offered 0.5 seconds in the same app 🤭. 
    Once i rooted my redmi 7 for high shutter speed. But found that supports 1s something. Nokia is much better at least they give 4sec on phones. 

But now a days most of phones coming with 32 sec exposure. 
  • Ashutoshh Ashutoshh
    ✭✭  / 
    @Lazysince1995 I think after increasing both noise option will make picture smooth. What to do then? 
  • er.photo er.photo
    ✭✭  / 
    @Lazysince1995 @Ashutoshh
    yes that looks like filtered one. 
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Ashutoshh said:
    @Lazysince1995 I think after increasing both noise option will make picture smooth. What to do then? 
    No its not true always.
    If you try to over reduce noise then only it looks much smoother. So keep slider below 60% and increase lil bit sharpness. 
    @er.photo
  • Ashutoshh said: 
    Once i rooted my redmi 7 for high shutter speed. But found that supports 1s something. Nokia is much better at least they give 4sec on phones. 

But now a days most of phones coming with 32 sec exposure. 
    My Nokia 7.2 have 32 Seconds of shutter speed, no need to root or do any other suspicious thing. The stock camera in my Phone gives 20 seconds of shutter speed and open camera app gets 32 seconds of shutter speed.

• @Ashutoshh @er.photo @Lazysince1995

I got a better photo of moon last night

• @Ashutoshh @er.photo @Lazysince1995

I got a better photo of moo...

Results are getting better as the moon is getting more full.

✭✭✭  / 
    @Ashutoshh @er.photo @Lazysince1995

I got a better photo of moo...

Results are getting better as the moon is getting more full.

This one is stunning