ALL photo/video files randomly become corrupted

I just bought this phone and had it activated a few days ago. So far I'm loving it but there's a major setback I'm dealing with.

ALL photo/video files randomly become corrupted

dylly dylly
✭✭  /  edited November 2019
I just bought this phone and had it activated a few days ago. So far I'm loving it but there's a major setback I'm dealing with. All of the media I've downloaded through my browser, Reddit app, Tumblr app, etc. have become corrupted. Last night I attempted to download media again. At first it shows as normal in my Files app and Gallery app, but then eventually it ALL becomes corrupted and rendered useless. Luckily I haven't ported anything important yet, but what gives? I'm still on Android Pie and updated to most recent security update (Oct. 5, 2019).

Quick Edit: I downloaded a PDF earlier as well and the file was working. I just went back to the same PDF and it is already considered corrupted and refuses to load. This is extremely irregular...
Tagged:

Comments

• TheoSc TheoSc
    ✭✭  / 
    dylly said:
    I just bought this phone and had it activated a few days ago. So far I'm loving it but there's a major setback I'm dealing with. All of the media I've downloaded through my browser, Reddit app, Tumblr app, etc. have become corrupted. Last night I attempted to download media again. At first it shows as normal in my Files app and Gallery app, but then eventually it ALL becomes corrupted and rendered useless. Luckily I haven't ported anything important yet, but what gives? I'm still on Android Pie and updated to most recent security update (Oct. 5, 2019).

Quick Edit: I downloaded a PDF earlier as well and the file was working. I just went back to the same PDF and it is already considered corrupted and refuses to load. This is extremely irregular...
    I'm having the same problem with my Nokia 1. I don't know why this is happening ☹️☹️
  • dylly dylly
    ✭✭  / 
    TheoSc said:
    dylly said:

I'm having the same problem with my Nokia 1. I don't know why this is happening ☹️☹️
    I winded up doing a factory reset and so far, so good.

By any chance did you have an SD card paired to expand your storage? When I inserted mine, it gave me two options on how to proceed: use to extend storage and use only with that phone OR use to transfer media (being able to take the card out and insert in a different device). I initially used mine to extend storage and I believe that's when it started. The second time around after factory reset, I went with the second choice and it hasn't happened since. I can't say for sure that's what caused it though.
  • TheoSc TheoSc
    ✭✭  / 
    dylly said:
    TheoSc said:
    dylly said:

I winded up doing a factory reset and so far, so good.

By any chance did you have an SD card paired to expand your storage? When I inserted mine, it gave me two options on how to proceed: use to extend storage and use only with that phone OR use to transfer media (being able to take the card out and insert in a different device). I initially used mine to extend storage and I believe that's when it started. The second time around after factory reset, I went with the second choice and it hasn't happened since. I can't say for sure that's what caused it though.
    Yes, it's the data card that keeps "loosing" images or can't open them. If I transfer the image back to internal memory from data card it magically opens again. Weird to say the least.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@TheoSc

Sound like a bad SD card or ones starting to fail. If everything works on internal storage it's an issue with the Memory card. The format as internal storage option is not a reliable long term option. It's always best to use SD card as external storage.

• RemkoB RemkoB
    ✭✭  / 
    Hi,

(also posted in thread of nokia 7.2)

This weekend both my girlfriend and I installed a nokia 6.2 in the similar way. Some issues in regards to sd-card occured as well. Sd card (sandisk 64 gb), was installed as internal storage. Little help from Nokia support pointed out a direction by which sd-card was to accessed from computer, by setting transfer-possibillities via settings - developer - usb connection. In that way we were able to copy personal files from the computer to the sd card.

Despite this start, several issues at this moment:

1. my girlfriends phone doesn't recognize sd card anymore since this morning. Removing didn't help. Phone cannot open pictures from WA, since it's 'unable to store' (because somehow sd card is not recognized). Several apps crash (might be related)

2. Launcher 10 app and onedrive app keep crashing; I already removed onedrive, but I think it also has to do with the fact this app might be located at sd-card? Although i have not found an option within settings that clearly indicates primary storage location for apps....?

2. since installation, my phone did not show pictures (.jpg, not larger then 6MB) in a correct way. Some were shown, most of them have a grey colored rectangle on top and some of them are shown in very large pixels.

3. I believed the DCIM and picture folder as shown in windows explorer on my computer were at SD-card. Not.. So al pictures were copied to internal storage, ending up in taking up 18 gb of storage capacity . Looking into storage capacity, it shows 34gb used. when tapping the pictures, it shows 18gb of pictures, but when tapping the pictures it only shows some screenshots.. This could be right, since I was able to remove my personal pictures folders from the phone, but how on earth is the phone still recognizing this 18gb then..?

4. pictures were removed from sd card; this one shows 2,5 gb, but only shows 3 apps (not yet 100mb).

Several questions raised to nokia support via email before I found this thread; Received quick support from them so far, but when reading this, it looks like a big issue to the new 7.2 / 6.2 series.

Perhaps someone from Nokia can provide us with concrete answers for:
    1. what is best way to install sd-card; internal memory or removable files ?
    2. where to set up standard file location for apps, pictures etc? and what would be best set up for that?
    3. what causes the pictures not to show from both internal phone memory as sd-card?
    4. would this be items that can be covered by any software update at all or did we buy the wrong phone (hopefully not)...?
  • Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited December 2019

@RemkoB

I bought our lad a N6.2 about 2 weeks ago. Along with a 64GB Samsung Evo plus SD card.

Set the card up as removable storage, and changed the camera settings to save to the SD card.

All his pictures and videos are stored on there.

So far so good, just asked him and he said he has no problems.

Are you 100% certain that your cards are not fake, as this is the sort of problems that you get from fake cards

• RemkoB RemkoB
    ✭✭  /  edited December 2019
    @ MIck1965

HI, Card is definately not fake; i don't save money on such items, buy them in normal stores, etc. But most important, sd card functioned very very well in Lumia 550 for 3 years. Card was formated inside phone when first inserted.
  • jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It's best to use SD cards as external storage long-term. Also the age of the card is important as they only have so many read and write cycles. I would buy a new SD card with best speed you can find to use with a new phone and not use older used one

• RemkoB RemkoB
    ✭✭  / 

Just did a full factory reset. Installed phone front Scratch without SD card. Ran all updates, installed all of my apps. Then inserted sdcard, formatted to external storage, removed SD card and copied my picture, video's etc from computer to sdcard. Now IT seems to be Working quite well. All pictures are shown normally !!

• pjn123 pjn123
    ✭✭  / 

Also having the same issues. Thought is might be the card and bought a new one and the new one is now doing the same thing. Both cards 100/30mbps read/write. Will try and format it as a external storage and not expand phone memory. Hopefully that will do the trick.

But definitely not a problem with the card. Hopefully this will be fixed with an update soon.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Using sd as internal storage imo is not a good idea and will fail or corrupt at a very high rate. The hardware does not read/ write at same rate as the external card. As phones get faster the SD card speeds and quality can not keep up. Best leave them for external storage.

• Akitt Akitt
    ✭✭  / 

Hi,

We had three new 6.2 phones and installed brand new Samsung Evo Plus 128GB cards into all of them (official for sure). Formatted the SD cards as internal storage. All phones had similar problems with corrupt/lost photos and some crashing apps (which were likely trying to use those photos). Definitely there seems to be OS problem now with cards formatted as internal storage. Or then the phone HW just does not like Samsung cards.

Now formatted the cards as portable storage and hopefully the problem is resolved, initially seems fine. Just disappointed that the SD card is not now as useful as it would be as internal storage. For example, Google Photos and Whatsapp are using only internal storage for downloaded media files. So we’re left with just the Camera app using the SD card. Well, I guess it’s better than nothing...

• RemkoB RemkoB
    ✭✭  / 

One addition; when resetting phone of my girlfriend, the SD card was not recognized anymore by the phone. Also not in Windows computer.. so basically the phone formatting to internal storage at first ruined that card.

We had to buy a new one and that installation went fine.

But be warned when formatting to internal storage !!

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yes formatting as internal makes the card not readable in any other device. The card is not ruined it just needs reformatted so I can be used in other devices. The card could of also just failed.

• RemkoB RemkoB
    ✭✭  / 

Hi jdi, how to reformat when card is not recognized anymore by Nokia phone of Windows computer?

• Moonbaby Moonbaby
    ✭✭  / 

I wish I had known this when I formatted my SD card as internal memory. I have lost all of the photos I have taken on this phone - unless someone knows how to recover them.

• Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  /  edited January 2020

@Moonbaby

Assuming that you have not tried to format the card again, then remove the card from the phone, put it into an external card reader so that it can be accessed by a pc.

There are literally hundreds of programs that can recover images from corrupted memory cards.

Just Google recover images from SD card

Take your pick, load it up and scan your card.

It takes a long time.

• Just spent 4h of my time that I will never get back on this with Nokia "support".

Tested with 2 SD cards, different vendors (Integral/Samsung), different sizes (256GB/128GB). Cards were tested with my PC first with f3write/f3read, all OK. Again: the cards are not at fault, they work fine.

The round trip with the phone mounted as folder or with the ADB, or even with the files packed as an archive and downloaded from a browser is the same - files get corrupted (checked with md5, also diff-ed in hex), And not only the transferred files, but also unrelated files already present on the SD card. So - yeah, you copy your music collection, and your photos go "pooof!"

I'm seriously thinking about returning the phone(s), as they are clearly not tested at all. God knows what will happen next.

Oh, yeah - if the card is formatted as removable storage, it (most probably) works - I did not get any corrupted files, but this is obviously inconclusive. Nokia "support" suggested encrypting the files on the card with some 3'rd party tools. For some reason (metadata leak, trust) I do not consider it a viable solution.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It is best to use porable storage with an sd card if you have enough storage. The intent for internal was for phones with low storage like 8gb to be used. The card and the internal memory are not the same speed and it will most likely end up with a filed or corrupt card.

Why do you need to format as internal you have plenty of room and can use the SD card for music photos and movies ?

• Wolcendorf Wolcendorf
     /  edited February 2020

I hoped people can figure out the answer to that by themselves, but apparently not. Simple: because if I lose my phone or someone steals it, I do not want the pictures of my proverbial d.i.c.k. to flood the net. I do understand it is not the priority for some.

Other than that - because:

1. It is for me decide, how I want to use my phone and its available options,
    2. I do not want to take the card in and out every time I want to add some music to my phone,
    3. I have enough data do store, that 40GB does not cut it (maps, for example),
    4. I do not want to be bothered with "oh, too little space, I need to move things around",
    5. I did not buy an iPhone (yeah, I know - big mistake).

Sorry, if the intent is as you say it is, then WHY THE H.E.L.L. the option is still there?! And if it is, it is intended to be used. If it does not work, it is a bug, and this one is a serious one, as it leads to data loss.

My NVME SSD in my PC and my SATA SSD are a different speeds . My HDD and my SSD are very different speeds, they work together without an issue in one logical volume. You are talking BS. I understand Nokia needs an excuse for their screw-up, but your attempt is pathetic.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Sounds like a bug does exist but this could be Android 10, hardware, firmware, etc. For point 2 you do not need to take the card out to transfer stuff from a pc to the card, just plug your phone in. Point 3 offline maps can be stored to sd card. If you lose your phone that is a risk.

Speaking from experience a sd card formatted as internal has never lasted more than a couple of months before issues. This is technology created by Google but since they dont allow sd cards in pixels... There are literally an impossible amount of combinations of sd cards and sizes and settings to initially test for. Once the bug is reported it will be addressed if possible in Android 10 and it will be rolled out as an update. Alot of phone companies have disabled the options for internal format for a good reason.

Relax and use external storage in the meantime.

• Ad. 2 - OK, I could not see the internal SD card properly, the issue was on my PC's side.

I never really had any problems with SD cards, except when the connection was flaky.

How do I report this bug? So that something might be done :)

• ^I didn't even chosed LOL, but Like instead, but this site won't let me do anything about it. So, there's no LOL, just 1 Like coming from me. :)

• McUser McUser
    ✭✭  / 

I've just spent a week tracking this down.

There is a bug in the V10 version of Android One. It is tickled by formatting an SD card to be treated like Phone storage (rather than as a 'transfer' drive.

Android appears to either "compress in place" or "encrypt in place" files. I am betting on compression as the picture taken by the camera should be larger than it eventually ends up being. You can see this if you take a picture, it will show up in the raw/ directory and then get moved/changed into the upper level directory. If you look at a picture right after you take it, it looks fine. If you look at it an hour later it can't load. Similarly with transferring ringtones. Transfer it and immediately use it, okay. Then a bit later, the ringtone becomes "bong" (an error sound indicating the phone can't play the ringtone)

The workaround. You CANNOT use an SD card as phone storage. You have to remove the card, reformat it (which on Windows will require going into disk manager and wiping out the weird partition table) and on the phone you have to got to 'Storage' and tell it to "Forget" about the SD card you had used. (you will lose any apps and data that were put onto the card).

Then reinstall the SD card and tell it you want to use it as "portable storage" and then, and only then, you can move files to it from internal storage or from it to internal storage where photos and ringtones will continue to work.

What screws the testing up is that when you initially put the file there its fine. Only later does android come around and screw it up.

To recreate: put in a new SD and tell it to "use it for internal storage" Go into the "files" app and confirm that it shows only "Internal Storage". Now take a picture with the camera. Look at it, (do not upload to the cloud), come back every 2 hours and open the camera app, go into the gallery, and see if you can open the picture. After no more than 24 hours the picture will not load, it will simply give you a rotating arrow. Also try dropping in a new ringtone, use it right away (assign it to a contact), then wait 24 hours and have the contact call you (it won't be the ring tone).

During recreation you can plug in the phone to USB can copy the files off in "File transfer mode", do it while the file is working, and then do it again after it stops working. You will see the files are now different.

• ninok ninok
    ✭✭  /  edited January 30

Hi @McUser ,

did you create a bug in the Android source bug tracker?

Also wondering if the corruption is deterministic or if random bytes are written to the files. In the first case there might be a chance to recover the files by undoing whatever Android is doing with the files.

• ninok ninok
    ✭✭  /  edited January 30

Hi @TheoSc,

how did you transfer the images back to internal memory? I lost some photos b/c of this bug and I would like to get them back somehow.

• idraws1 idraws1
     / 

I'm sorry but this phone, Is ****. I'd rather have 200$ then this crap. My files are corrupted, my phone lags to point where it reset's it's self and everything will **** up in a second. There is no way to fix any of it which is bullshit, What the **** am i supposed to do with my camera roll? Now it **** up even more and I cant even save anything so now the hours of work for my comic's are just down the gutters. I will never ever buy this product again and will tell everyone I know to not buy this worthless garbage, I hope I can take this phone back because I cant deal with any of this. My life is already so messed up and this phones **** has sent me to tears because I am so frustrated. Once again this phone is ****, and buyer beware.