Severe privacy vulnerability discovered in Android

Hello folks, Even if I no longer have the 8, I'd like to let you know of a severe vulnerability found in Android.

Severe privacy vulnerability discovered in Android

marsic marsic
✭✭✭✭  / 

Hello folks,

Even if I no longer have the 8, I'd like to let you know of a severe vulnerability found in Android. Basically, any app could access your cameras and microphones even without the required permissions granted... So before asking for Android 10, you'd rather ask them (hmd) whether they've applied the fix for this. Also watch what Google camera ports you install, it seems to have been part of the problem (if I understood correctly).

Comments

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Better request and read the original article instead, if you are interested how vulnerabilities are researched and demonstrated, and want the whole story instead of the ... sensational news.

It was patched July 2019; It required the user to install a specially crafted app (not just 'any app'); The proof of concept is valid for Pixel and Samsung phones; It maybe only affects US users (they have more Google Assistant options) etc.

- I agree that average users should avoid installing apps from unofficial sources, and avoid rooting or messing with developer options, to avoid this and other security and integrity issues.

I'm confident HMD is serious about their up-to-date promise on this.

-- Hans