Cairo Announcement and Livestream - Page 2

So the livestream starts at 17:00 GMT? I'm sure I read on one Nokia news site that the event will start at 10:30 pm... but I've no idea what timezone that was.

Cairo Announcement and Livestream

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

So the livestream starts at 17:00 GMT? I'm sure I read on one Nokia news site that the event will start at 10:30 pm... but I've no idea what timezone that was.

Since it will be 1800 where I am I won't be able to join. Have fun 😀

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Then it will jump directly to 9.4 instead of 9.1... Since 4.2 happened without any base 😂

I have mixed opinion. I know it's only 2.3, but then the teasers look like something better than that at least. Who spends so much effort teasing an entry-level device 🤷‍♂️ Or are they gonna give a killer 2.3 that outclasses their 3.2 and 4.2?

I'll just sleep and wake up tomorrow night and I'll know everything 😝. Will it be bad to announce the 5G device which @juho teased yesterday and mark is as available in Feb 2019? I mean.. Come on.. If they announce in Feb, it'll come in April anyways 🤔 Just like how Moto played with the new Razr or Tesla played with their truck? At least hmd will secure some buyers who are considering to buy a 5g phone and have them wait a little longer 🙃

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

We share exact same thoughts about the launch and availability of the "Nokia 8.2 5G".

• Andycool24 Andycool24
    ✭✭✭  / 

EDITED 😍😍

Super User  / 

BTW They cannot make it available from Feb2019. 🤣

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

I wanna press disagree on you 🤣🤣 But unfortunately you are right 😫

• nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

New Nokia Mobile & TV Launching Today 😍

Double Excitement 😊

• chiraggohil chiraggohil
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah.. very excited ☺️ combo of happiness

• nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

But I Think Only One Phone is Launching Today 😔

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi all 😃

I think the new 2.3 will be better than the current 3.2 and 4.2. That the way with low end models, there's not much room for improvement without making previous higher range models obsolete. E.g. Nokia 2 almost immediately superseded by Nokia 1. 🤔

HMD might announce the 5G phone tomorrow but I doubt it. It's possible they may tease it some more... or maybe show a real prototype model without telling us any specs? 🤗

But I still think it's unlikely, the focus of the event tomorrow will be the phones they are actually announcing - the 2.3 and at least one other feature phone. 📱🖱️

And why do you think the 5G phone can't be available in February? If Qualcomm already released samples to customers and can supply in volume next quarter, and HMD are at the front of the queue then the phone can be available in February. It's possible, but not necessarily probable 😉

I will have to ask my family if they mind we watching the event live when I get home, but I think I already know the answer 😆

Continue the speculation, only 5 hours to go! 😀

Cheers 🙂

• wilson shrestha wilson shrestha
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I think I'm more excited for the Nokia Smart TV than any of their upcoming smartphones. 😂 Just imagine a Nokia Smart TV with 2 years of timely OS updates and 3 years of monthly security patches. 😆

✭✭✭✭  / 

😂😂😂 @wilson shrestha ... That's be great if they provide.. but the specifications are amazing at price it comes

• thanoofnaina thanoofnaina
    ✭✭✭  / 

DECEMBER 5th 2018 @dubai NOKIA 8.1

DECEMBER 5th 2019 @cairo NOKIA ??

✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2019

All new Nokia 2.3 😍✌️

Good phone with some new camera feature and bokeh effects ☺️

• thanoofnaina thanoofnaina
    ✭✭✭  / 

loved the design.

and the new camera feature.

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    Super User  / 

As Nokia said at event only. Nokia is in top 5 smartphone brand in Middle Africa & East. Every 1 out of 4 person in this region have nokia phone ( to be specific budget phone). So to make it buzz nokia didn't wanted to loose this opportunity to make some noise. And finally it's really great to see that Nokia is now listing to us and making better phone as they given 4000mah battery and camera feature.

@Kartik Gada

Super User  /  edited December 2019

Nokia 5G smartphone would have helped create that buzz. 😉

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited December 2019

Whilst it is for their financial managers and event organizers to decide, I'm still not getting why they spent so dearly on an event to launch just a budget phone. Events cost a lot, especially for hosting all the media and even the employees. The 2.3 is a sweet nice phone, but could have been a lot affordable for them launching it from within their HQ in Finland or London via a live steam only instead of being in Cairo. Xiaomi does exactly that for their phones in the lower price segment. Such budgets should instead be transferred to the device's costs, making it a more sweeter deal.

I also saw a lack of interest in the audience. HMD's announcement seemed like an artist performing in a rooftop restaurant, where his performance is not the prime importance. IDK, it only seemed like there was nobody present there.

Another disappointment is that the live stream faced connectivity issues at least thrice. While we were discussing of 5G here, that stream failed to upload even a 720p without interruptions. I also saw more than 1 slide with errors.

I'll await for the regional pricing of the device for more details. For now it does look better than my Nokia 2.2. I'm hoping the 2.3 is better made because my 2.2 is has such a light back cover that it makes cracking sounds very easily. Again, I'm glad to see a bigger batter, bigger display and also some effort being done to make a slightly better camera experience.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

After reading all that, then yes, an event in ciaro makes a bit more sense... It was just all this hype they kept announcing it globally. A lot of bucks spent for a low-mid phone. Not sure if that's a great choice.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

It may be cheaper to have the event in Cairo than Espoo or London, so much cheaper at even flying people there does not make it more expensive. There's a big HMD office in Dubai as well, so many people probably came from there and there is a huge media/fan base in Egypt, so it makes good PR sense to hold an event there. If the device being launched is applicable to the typical budget of potential buyers in the market where the launch is hosted then it all connects and makes sense.

Makes more sense than the 2.2 launch which was impossible to find out anything about! 😆

Cheers 🙂

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi all,

I'm just watching the recording of the livestream during my lunch break...

• Wow, great view of the pyramids! Is that real? 😲
    • They had dinner served at tables? Wow, this was a big event. 😃
    • And yet it seems only half full! 🤔
    • And the sound quality seems quite poor.... oh dear, where's my OZO Audio?! 😕
    • Does that designer drawing on the perspex still work for HMD? 😉
    • "Unique" take on Android? Er, is it really still unique? 🤨
    • "Just keeps getting better" is a matter of opinion.... staying still would be a bonus for some of the models 🙁
    • If the battery life is really two days with reasonable use (Pranav suggested 2 hours + screen-on time each day) then that's pretty good 😃
    • Or even with "binge-watching" as they say!😅
    • Nice explanation of the display tech, but is this really new, or ground-breaking, at this price?🤔
    • "Encouraged by your feedback"! Nice spin on negative feedback 😂
    • I still don't know why HMD don't update the camera apps on previous models with the features of new models, surely that's what "just keeps getting better" should mean, right?! 😡
    • The return of Nokia Smart Cam from Lumia is a great thing though, I'm super pleased to see this! 🤩
    • The suggested best shot is also cool, I wonder if they are tracking how many people agree with the result to "train" their learning model?😃
    • These bokeh modes are hilarious! Not for serious photographers, but definitely fun!😁
    • Face unlock on a 2-series?! What happened to HMD's "promise" to bring this to Nokia 6.1, 7 plus, 8 and 8 Sirocco over a year ago? https://twitter.com/Nokiamobile/status/1010367104728563712 🤐
    • But it still comes with Android 9! Seriously?! So "two years of OS updates" really means one, in this case. 😫
    • Dedicated google assistant key, but still not remappable I bet. 😞
    • And here comes @Miika Mahonen ! 🤗
    • Comfortable grip is something that is important on a camera-centric phone, it would be nice to get this on higher-range models too 😉
    • So the colour is flip paint, like on some sports/super cars?! 😆
    • Oooo! 😮 Streaming problems, we seem to have missed something, like...
    • ...Who is this lady? Nice to hear what she has to say anyway. 🙂
    • I agree that cyan green is nice 😁
    • First time I think I've heard Sanmeet speaking live... shame that the sound quality keeps getting worse... What is that buzzing? Honestly... 😔
    • "Insert title here"! 🤣
    • And I don't think he's saying anything different from Pranav, is he?😴
    • Oh boy somebody fix that sound!😣
    • Ah, she's called Ameera, or something like that 😃

Well, as streams go, that was poor. As a product, the 2.3 looks quite nice. I've not paid much attention to the reviews yet though.

Cheers 🙂

• Wanderlust Wanderlust
    ✭✭✭  / 

what a commentary @madbilly

• Esinam Esinam
    ✭✭  / 

Affordable with price distinctions! Congratulations.

• andigruber02 andigruber02
    ✭✭✭  / 

Here are the Short Version from Nokia themselve with much better Quality 😂