Nokia updates not available or slow?

Starting this about Nokia updates and new android. Did you get android 10?

Nokia updates not available or slow?

MRetnl MRetnl
✭✭  /  edited December 2019

Starting this about Nokia updates and new android. Did you get android 10? or did you get the November update on Nokia 8.1, even now the december update is being rolled out from google to pixel phones running android 10.

A lot off peolple with nokia 8.1 are still running Android 9 with October update. I still am.

Are nokia updates released slow?

Or is it something that has to with the type of 8.1 (TA-1119)

Maybe even the region where im at, Netherlands, Europe.

And is there maybe a way to speed up things or to force an update?

Any answer or experience is welcome.😄

Comments

• Nokia releases a quick update compared to others. I have samsung M20 received the August patch at the end of November

• I have the TA-1119, and I'm running Android 10 with the October security update. Android One requires security updates to be provided within 30 days of their release, which means that the November security update should arrive tomorrow. This of course depends on whether HMD actually cares about following the requirements set out to OEMs in the Android One program.

From what I understand you're running Android 9, right? And nothing happens when you check for updates? You should try to reboot and check for updates again.
  • Ronny2010 Ronny2010
    ✭✭✭  / 

When you buy a nokia Android one phone than you expect monthly patches and 2 updates. Unfortunately Nokia lose the right way and is the update policy from 7.2 realy crap. It is realy not normal that this phone is not out the box with Android 10 and also the updatepolicy is inacurate. In the official update roadmap is not an official sign that 6.2 and 7.2 get Android 10.

• Ronny2010 Ronny2010
    ✭✭✭  / 

• dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

You have a source that proves your claim that Android one phones must be updated security patches within 30 days after the release by Google?

Because it's not mentioned here.⬇️

• MRetnl MRetnl
    ✭✭  / 

Didnt do the trick for me, still on android nine with oktober patch

• Rashidk Rashidk
    ✭✭  / 

You should clear your google services cache and data and check for update again... And i don't think they will push update before nokia 8.2 launch...

• @dray78 The link* you posted is actually my source. The relevant section is:

All of these layers are reinforced by security updates. We have an established monthly update cycle for Pixel devices, as well as those under the Android One program. In addition, Android Enterprise Recommended devices are updated at least every 90 days.

It doesn't say 30 days explicitly, but I interpret monthly as 30 days, which might be wrong. I have been trying to find a more official document listing the requirement of the Android One programme in detail, but so far I've not found any.

* https://www.android.com/security-center/
  • dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

@elusivesuspect As i read that site from Android, what is my source to, the Android one phones are in the same cycle as the Pixel phones. That tells me that If i get the October patch in November, Nokia is to late. Must be same as Pixel or soon after, not a month later.

• @dray78 Honestly, I don't think that's a correct interpretation, but there's no way of knowing unless Google releases a more detailed list of requirements.
  • dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

All of these layers are reinforced by security updates. We have an established monthly update cycle for Pixel devices, as well as those under the Android One program.

This is a fact for me. Don't know how to read different.

• dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

That's not what is written there.

It's says as well.. If i translate it into my own language it says exactly what i am saying all along. If i change that site into my own language it says exactly what i am saying.

Reading comprehension is difficult, I know.

End of discusion

• MRetnl MRetnl
    ✭✭  / 

Time for an update.

Now Januari 6 2020. Stil no new updates for my Nokia 8.1 (TA-1119) resident of the netherlands (Amsterdam) Even after flushing the cashes, 2 x factory reset in the last few weeks. Now im wondering why some phones allready have more recent updates like android 10 and december update and some like me are still stuck on android 9 october update?

So hopefully Nokia itself can make things more clearly and maybe even make the most recent updates available for this phone..

I came from iPhone 6s which was receiving the most recent updates always imediatly when it came available, so android compared to iOS is really a big difference update wise.

• dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

@MRetnl

Like you i have the TA-1119 and it's fully up to date at the moment. The difference is to be found in the Build-number. I'm also from The Netherlands and bought my phone at Bol.com. Where did you bought it?

I have build-number: 00WW_4_15B_SP03

• MRetnl MRetnl
    ✭✭  / 

I have build number 00WW_2_59J_SP03 bought at belsimpel.nl . it sounds a bit weird to me that the difference in buildnumbers have an effect on updates, but I dont know the update policy HMD Nokia follows.

• Edjee1988 Edjee1988
    ✭✭  / 

Some problem here, 8.1 stuck on oct SP with Android 9. I hope Nokia will let us know something

• Invader Stef Invader Stef
    ✭✭  / 

Hello,

i am too still on Adnroid 9 with the September update.

The model number is TA-1119 and i'm located in Germany. The build number is 00WW_2_59J_SP02 .

I contacted support and they told me that according to this info-site my phone is on the latest update: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/security-updates .

Well, i'm not very satisfied with this :(

• Lampie Lampie
    ✭✭  / 

Same here, 00WW_2_59J_SP03 and still on Pie with october '19 patch, (bought via Bol).

Several questions asked and none are answered. So much for Android One. It is more like Android None.

• MRetnl MRetnl
    ✭✭  / 

I have asked Nokia support for information on the updates.

At this moment i'm still on Pie with October '19 patch on my Nokia 8.1 00WW_2_59J_SP03.

I asked if there will be an update to this phone or is this phone a bad buy.

The Nokia website regarding updates states that updates are depending on a region, so does this phone belong to an other region then the Netherlands? At the moment i think its a bad buy and will not recommend Nokia 8.1 to family or friends.

I wonder if they even read these community comments.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/security-updates

• MRetnl MRetnl
    ✭✭  /  edited January 17

Nokia 8.1 was released December 2018, I bought it August 2019 8 months after its release, now maybe discontinued but not really old I would say and certainly not obsolete and still should get updated, still on sale at several stores in the Netherlands.

I expect at least 2 years of full updates, so 10 months of updates doesn't cut it. I do not think that it's weird to expect a 2 year minimum of updates.

I came from apple iPhone, the iPhone 6s (2015) still received full updates and within a week after release of the update. Maybe this is why I expect more from Nokia.

• dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

I don't care if it's old stock what those (online) shops selling.

But i disagree on the fact it's not possible to buy.

• Mayukh Mayukh
    ✭✭  / 

Let it be old or new. The software support should be equal to all as all are Nokia 8.1