Petition - continue Nokia 2 security updates until "2 years from the time last market launched"

Hi everyone, I've just found out that HMD are cutting short the updates for the Nokia 2.

Petition - continue Nokia 2 security updates until "2 years from the time last market launched"

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 4

Hi everyone,

I've just found out that HMD are cutting short the updates for the Nokia 2. @HMDLaura wrote here about the end of updates for the first generation HMD Nokia phones: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/50979/two-years-of-delivering-on-our-pure-secure-and-up-to-date-android-promise

The general rule seems to be that each model should get updates until "2 years from the time last market launched these smartphones". The Nokia 2 was not launched in the UK until the 26th February 2018: https://www.techradar.com/news/nokia-2-get-a-uk-release-date-with-a-very-low-price

Therefore Nokia 2 updates should continue until at least February 2020 - two years after the device was launched in the UK. I don't know if it was launched even more recently in other markets, maybe other members of the community can confirm?

In this post I asked @HMDLaura to confirm the situation: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/comment/140221/#Comment_140221

In this thread you can sign the petition to ask HMD to provide updates for several more months, in line with the practice they have established for other models.

Things are already very disappointing for Nokia 2 owners, it would be nice for HMD to give you all a little Christmas present 🎁

Cheers 🙂

Comments

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I really don't think due to region loop hole asking the security update extension might not be the pin point comment

If we see the announcement of additional security for Nokia 6,they have shown the partiality for some variants and mostly Amazon based Nokia 6 are now affected on both indian as well US region ,based on this also asking might not get the valid point

As Nougat is gonna get end of support by 2019 so shifting the users to Oreo Build with some proper fix and providing the security updates may be valid point because Oreo build got only 8 patches on the same build version 1.15R and 5 patches for Indian variants and it has good chance to provide further security updates up to Feb 2020 or further as the stable build was made world wide availability from 23 Feb 2019 onwards

This point not only soothe the Owners of Nokia 2 but also fill those loop holes eventually.

• Gustnado Gustnado
    ✭✭✭  / 

Wow! HMD Censoring my comment!!!

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @gustnado what do you mean, what did you write?

@user1520881638007 the Nokia 6 Amazon edition was not the same software config as other global Nokia 6 versions, which is why I think HMD decided to stop support early.

I think the general principle is that if they advertise a phone as having x years of updates, it should have x years of updates from the first time you can buy it. Since, in the UK, the first time the Nokia 2 could be bought was February 2018 this means it should receive updates until 2 years after that, so February 2020.

The only potential hole in my logic is whether HMD did ever advertise 2 years of updates specifically for the Nokia 2. I know that they were talking about 2 years of updates in general at that time, but maybe they never explicitly said Nokia 2... can you find anything about this?

Cheers 🙂

• UpdateNokia2 UpdateNokia2
    ✭✭✭  / 

HMD treating it's customers like we are zombies will buy latest phones

As ahahahaple sheheheheples buhuhuhuhuy upgrahahahahade but guess them phones are buggy and they ignore bugs they even didnt try to fix Nokia 2 or at least they didn't ask developer from the community to help them

As a result am not gonna buy any HMD phone because simply they sucks !

In Nokia 2 case everybody knows it can perform better than HMD messware they compile for Nokia 2

• Vargasfranklin Vargasfranklin
    ✭✭  / 

Como le hago roll back a mi nokia 2, estoy en oreo y es muy inestable

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 6

@madbilly

Regarding that general principle of OS upgrades HMD has strongly maintaining only one thing and that is date of offering the updates not by region or some thing and Nokia 2 has got the first update on November it self and people who buy the device at any time they get the updates in MR only and that will push to latest build or else it may come with the latest available SP out of box

So if you have doubt on the OS upgrades then I can say to re construct the story of Nokia 2 starting from November 2017 and then after every investigation you will have a clear picture of what is going on,because the pain that we are facing is only known to that device owners not to blog writers and commenting users

Already we faced every thing and came to know that HMD has skipped this for doing Android 10 ground works ,if not why they don't use time from June-August 2019 for beta labs of Android 9 as only one device is in preview build program

Even it's clear in the latest Oreo build that they haven't worker well only they enabled after they got tons of tweets from users and there also he(CPO) diverts to say Nokia 8.1 instead of Android 8.1 for Nokia 2

• Gustnado Gustnado
    ✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly

Hi there, i wrote about HMD to extend more support to nokia 2 device!!! And advice them to Stop their stupid behaviour towards nokia 2 users, because they literally ignored and cheated nokia 2 Oreo beta testers!!! as a beta tester we using Oreo 8.1 build ( whether it's beta or stable ) since June 2018 and found that only july 2018 beta build ( V1.15M ) performed well because of bug free normal android ( without go optimize ) update and voted and recommended that build update but HMD didn't care us and continue injecting go edition codes to stock android device and completely messed!! and their android Oreo development team literally forgot and didn't understand that go edition codes doesn't dissolve with stock android devices!!!

Now our device main problem is we cannot perform wipe data/factory reset via android recovery mode because it's broken now if device freeze/stuck/hangs or if anyone using strong password and forgot then you literally know what happens!!!I In this condition ending support to nokia 2 device, it's utter nonsense!!! and the funny thing is still HMD didn't fix any bug related issues yet and gave last update also half baked buggy Oreo 8.1,So they released nokia 2 device as a stock android device, then every nokia 2 users deserve a normal android (without go optimization ) update and more support!!!

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Gustnado, @user1520881638007,

I didn't start this petition to annoy any of you, I did it to try and be helpful. I know that HMD are rubbish at fixing bugs. I know they screwed up the Android 8.1 update for the Nokia 2. The point of the petition is to try and highlight one other thing that HMD have got wrong with the Nokia 2 and try and encourage them to give you a few more security updates. I know that this is a tiny issue in comparison to everything else that is wrong with the software of the Nokia 2, but at least it would be something.

Maybe someone from HMD will read this and realise they've made a mistake?

Cheers 🙂