Request for official rollback to Android 9

As already many of you noticed, Android 10 update is not good. It is known to cause more issues than any other major update.

Request for official rollback to Android 9

vanshee vanshee
✭✭  / 

As already many of you noticed, Android 10 update is not good. It is known to cause more issues than any other major update. Symptoms include general stuttering of the os, unresponsiveness, some people complain about losing completely data service, broken voice calls services. Also the performance of the camera is worse than the day the phone was revealed to the public. Camera is constantly freezing, stuttering and image fusion process is taking a lot more time than Android 9. I know because I have two Nokia 9 phones, mine and my gf's. Mine's with 10, her phone is with 9. The sound quality got worse than 9. It's more quiet, and the sound is muffed and flat. I believe there's a lot more issues I didn't know about yet. The update just landed. I really believe this makes the phone very hard to be used as a daily driver. With that being said, I do realize it's not only Nokia's fault. As far as I'm aware, other brands are struggling with Android 10 as well, pointing that the cause of the problem lies with Google itself. The thing is that some companies realized that Android 10 have a lot of issues and plan to release optional rollback to Android 9 OTA.

This is the reason for this request - if the new update is causing troubles there should be an option for the people to roll back to the previous version if they choose to do so. Otherwise the phone is rendered useless. If you can't use mobile data, make calls properly it's just a beautiful brick.

I ask again, please Nokia, do something about it, offer the people an option to go back to Android 9 so they can use their phones.

I really hope someone from Nokia reads this and at least comes forward with an answer.

Thanks!

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That's a valid request. But given this Android One situation, I'm quite sure Nokia will not provide a downgrade back to Android 9. You will have to contact a Nokia Care to flash the older full firmware package.

Also, try a factory reset. Maybe, just maybe your issues get sorted.

• Cody Mhoon Cody Mhoon
    ✭✭  /  edited December 2019

A factory reset fixed a couple of things for me. The camera in particular had issues after the update and corrected some of it. Still can't wait for the camera update coming soon.

I havent noticed a speaker downgrade (though I found it to be the worst of the year already), but stutters are still frequent in the lock screen ESPECIALLY with 1) gesture navigation on and 2) if I have a background service going like podcasts or music, the phone lags BIG time for a few seconds of using.

• Going on 48 hours here, zero issues here. Probably not related, but using Microsoft launcher here. Seriously, no errors or bugs. TA-1087. 00WW_5_13D.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

I've been using MS Launcher as well. I still do get very jittery apps. Even switching between apps, the graphics pause and there are some delays in actions. On the weekend I may just wipe the whole device and start it a fresh. See if that will do anything,

• charles charles
    ✭✭  / 

Try switching to 3-button navigation. It runs way more smoothly for me, for whatever reason.

It's under Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation.

Camera app still sucks, but that's no different than Android 9, I guess.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks @charles, will give this a go. Had forgotten how to get the 3 buttons back. I think I changed it when I first got the phone.

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

Something else I noticed. I don't know if anyone else have it. So basically the ram memory is not unloading in background. And I believe this is causing the stuttering. I installed a ram cleaner from the play store and when it cleans the ram memory phone becomes smooth as butter. But that's for a couple of hours and it's clogged again. Basically the memory management in background is not doing it's job properly.

• petaqui petaqui
    ✭✭  / 

Performance of Nokia 9 was bad, now, with Android 10 is even worse than before... how can Nokia deploy such a bad update? Can't understand

I want a mobile for photographers, not a "chinese" sluggish phone, and that's what I have now

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

Problem is that I have the feeling no one in Nokia is actually reading this forums. It's like we're on our own. Just trying to help each other.

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

Android 10 just landed for my old Nokia 7 Plus. It's a big 1422Mb update. In comparison A10 for Nokia 9 is just 800Mb. I know there's always difference, but that's almost double in size. I'm starting to wonder - did we get update to Android 10 or some "stripped" lite version of it. 😂

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

The phone runs fine after the update. Zero issues with my apps and data. After installing I performed a factory reset. I am running lawnchair2 launcher not the stock one. Not sure what specific performance is the issue for you. The ui is smooth and all apps function as expected.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Be careful with memory cleaners for malware, Android does its own memory management. What app usage is showing for memory? Does it do this if you boot into safe mode and use the phone like that? How often do you restart your phone? Seems like an app is causing a memory issue as I do not see this behavior.

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

Memory management is a nightmare even after factory reset, on a clean empty phone. Sadly it's not windows or something when if you have doubts about the installation you just format and reinstall. You can't do that with Android unfortunately. If factory reset doesn't solve my problems it could mean that the update got wrong somehow. Making my phone barely usable. Now if it's a software problem we rely on Nokia to have a look and if there's enough people with similar problems they can try to fix it. On the other hand I don't believe it's normal to perform a factory reset after updating the software.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

If it's specific to your device perform a factory reset or contact support so it can be looked at by a service center. There is nothing wrong with a factory reset as no one can control what apps and programs a user adds that could be causing issues

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

I already did a factory reset. It didn't help. And knowing the service capabilities in UK I'd rather sell this one and use the one that I bought off of eBay for spare parts.

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

Interesting enough, I spoke with Nokia support and they said there's no way to rollback to 9. Which is weird because if I remember correctly there was a program for beta testers to try the beta build of Android 10 and help eliminate bugs and such and there was an option for the beta testers to roll back to Android 9. Now they say it's impossible because of the new partition layout. Then how come you can be a beta tester and try out the A10 beta and rollback to A9 and now you can't?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Not sure what you have running apps and such but not seeing these issues, what exactly is the issue you are having and what apps?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

A beta build is not the same.ad a production build this is easily explainable. Why rollback there is no really good reason to go backwards.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Correct, but for stable releases, Google, or Nokia do not allow downgrades officially.So, they will no longer give you an option to downgrade back to Android 9. Nokia Care will be able to flash Android 9 though.

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 

Resetting my phone hasn't helped. Not worth the effort. We have to admit that hmd rolled out a bad version of Android 10.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 

@jdi000

Nokia 9. The animations are stuttering. I have to reboot the phone every couple of days or it gets laggy. But worst of all for me the Navigation commands change volume so some are inaudible and some are ok. You need to look at the phone screen as some commands will be missed. The glance screen constantly shows notifications that are false. For example shows the voice mail icon.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Google maps I used sat and half the commmands we're almost too quiet to hear. I believe this is a Google maps app issue and probably get resolved in an app update.

Did you try using another launcher?

I reboot every day or two on every phone I have every owned.

Glance I have not paid attention to as is does not seem to have much real value.

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 

@jdi000 I had no problems with the maps until the Android 10 update. By putting Gestures back to the three button type seems to keep the phone more responsive. Chrome browser also freezes for a while. Yes I believe there is a Google fault somewhere. That's why I am disappointed still being on November update which brought the Android 10 upgrade.

• Fox Fox
    ✭✭  / 

I had a similar problem... fixed it by:

• Enabling all the permissions for 'Device Personalization Services' (except Location and Physical activity)
  • Nokia 10 update is worse than anything.......i could'nt use my mobile properly......battery is gone bad.....even not using at night times charge is coming to 10% when i wake up mrng.......u nokia ppl must do something......other wise like me ppl will suggest not to buy nokia mobiles ever

• Sisu Matt Sisu Matt
    ✭✭✭  / 

We NEED a comprehensive quality update immediately or a roll back. Phone is even worse now than when I last posted after the update.

The notification tray and quick toggles barely work because of lag. The phone discharges faster than ever. It gets really hot. Lock screen freezes.

And this is even without trying to take a photo. If I take more than one everytime the app hangs for a very long time or crashes. And one photo when it hasn't crashed takes well over a minute to process. Simply unacceptable.

• Sisu Matt Sisu Matt
    ✭✭✭  / 

This is not a stable build. It is the complete opposite. And in UK and I'd wager nearly every country there is no Nokia Care.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

I do not see any of this . Do a factory reset without restore and then you won't have these issues. You could always try z different launcher as well.