How to make your Nokia the ideal Dinner guest!

Hi y’all Festive season is usually also a season of Dinner parties. Dinner parties are great events.

How to make your Nokia the ideal Dinner guest!

HMDLaura HMDLaura
Staff member  /  edited January 10

Hi y’all

Festive season is usually also a season of Dinner parties. Dinner parties are great events. The chance to catch up with family and friends, have fun and generally relax. There would be a time when Boardgames would be pulled out of the closet or a classic game of charades would ensue. Whilst there is always a place for those types of games, in today’s world the mobile phone has opened a pathway into different types of dinner party games that can be enjoyed with the use of your Nokia phone.

There’s so much choice in the realm of dinner party apps that it can be difficult to know which ones to download and which ones aren’t for you. We don’t know what sort of games you enjoy playing at dinner parties, but we’ve compiled a small list of some of our favorite apps that are sure to keep the night’s entertainment going!

1: Heads Up

With over 10 million downloads on Google Play, Heads Up, is already an instant classic. Played on the Ellen DeGeneres show, the mobile game consists of one person holding the phone to their forehead whilst others try to describe the phrase, object or name that appears on the list. It’s a really fun game that even records your reactions. It’s fantastic for large or small dinner parties and will have you entertained for a long time.

2: Sing! Karaoke

Just as the title suggests, Sing! Karaoke, turns your Nokia phone into your very own karaoke screen. There’s no need to venture out of the house anymore as you and your friends can enjoy belting out your favorite songs from the comfort of your own home. The app is free to download and is also compatible with Google Chromecast so you can use your TV as your screen. 

3: Psych!

This game is from the creators of Heads Up, and they’ve seemingly cracked the code on how to make fun and addictive party games. In this game your friends all type an answer to a question into the app and then you have to guess at the end which one you think is the correct answer. Points are scored based on which answers are picked and it can lead to hours of hilarious fun. We’d definitely suggest giving this app a try. It’s free to download on the Google Play store.

4: Who Can’t Draw?

In this app, the starting person is given an item to draw and when they finish it the phone is passed on to someone else who must guess what it is that’s been drawn and must try to do their best to draw/or copy the image. It’s a great way to flex some creative muscles or just to have fun with your friends if no-one can draw! The app is free to download from the Google Play Store.

There are so many apps available in the Google Play Store that it would take a lot of time to mention them all. Have you got any favorites that you turn to when you’re entertaining guests or just simply having fun with your friends? Let us know in the comments if you’ve played any of our favorites and which ones you regularly play.

Comments

• Thanuj Thanuj
    ✭✭✭  / 

Quite a Nice post this is. I don't celebrate christmas, But these apps are awesome when friends have getoghethers and parties!

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

For me it is "Call of Duty Mobile" for the past few months now. Whenever friends meet up (1, 2 or a full group), there's definitely some time going into the battle mode and shooting some enemies.

Yeah not the classic group entertainer, but that works for us. Ain't gonna sing Karaoke now! xD

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well, if you comment anywhere like how you just did, even I'd wanna delete it off. I have not seen the mods deleting genuine user complaints no matter how harsh they become, unless they are just randomly thrown anywhere.

As for the Camera2 API, I believe it is not happening. Even if it does, the last time I heard was that Gcam ports do not work on Mediatek chipsets. I am not sure if things have changed over time.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

So, you will make me install COD again. 😅

Downloading..... 😁

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Oh well.. You'll go away again. So, better keep firing the tanks 😁😛

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited December 2019

Oh yeah the tanks have now grown and come with double barrels and there's a special christmas event too. You should join tanks as well. 🤪

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

So over the Xmas period my Nokia 8 was the ideal dinner guest by:

1. Not interrupting! No notifications or audible vibration.
    2. Taking good photos, although I should say that I generally have HDR and flash off even for indoor photos, as the 8 doesn't seem to cope well with either on even if in auto mode.

Cheers 🙂

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The loudspeaker in my Nokia 8 broke a week ago so its now the ideal guest for any social gathering! :-\

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @user389, it broke?! Wow... stopped working, or is very distorted? I presume you mean stopped working. Do headphones still work? If so, maybe it's a loose connection... but to fix it you'd need to crack open the casing :(

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly , The loudspeaker went mute while playing a long video. Everything else works. One of the tasks for my phones since Nokia N8-00 is to wake me up in the morning, so something has to be done.

It's a < €10 spare part if MyTrendyPhone can acquire it. The repair will be done privately, to see if tender loving care (== compressed air at the right spot!) can resolve the nasty 'tics' in OZO audio that's become worse over time.

On the topic: There are so many options to chat and play games with online friends that nobody I know want to play games on the phone with people sitting next to them.

Board games, cards, dice, darts and billiard still works best in real life, and it's time for me to go home when they start singing karaoke at the pub!

-- Hans

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @user389,

I hope you're still having fun down the pub 😉 and I hope the repair goes well, otherwise, I fear that phone will be sent for recycling 😔

I agree, I don't think that a smartphone can yet replace "traditional" games, but that may be a generational thing. Sharing photos or videos is quite nice to do between courses at a meal, which a smartphone is handy for. If I found a game which is fun to play when in a big social group then I'd be interested. I suppose I should try the ones which @HMDLaura suggested!

Cheers 🙂

• jon11 jon11
    ✭✭  / 

I have a Nokia 1 plus. It's a good phone but has 2 niggles. Firstly when someone rings me the screen doesn't always light up which means I can't answer and secondly the video/camera sometimes lags. I would say the battery doesn't last however it is a smartphone so obviously it works hard.