Still on May security update

Using 3.1 in US and it's still on May security update. Is anyone else having this issue?

Still on May security update

nokiafanboy nokiafanboy
 /  edited September 14
Using 3.1 in US and it's still on May security update. Is anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• user1530748712610 user1530748712610
     /  edited August 13
    Same here. Kind of aggravating considering I left Motorola because of the slow updates and went with an Android One Nokia device and I'm still getting slow updates and almost three months behind on security patches. Considering this phone has A-B treble support you'd think that updates would be pretty quick but I guess you get what you pay for a sub $200 phone with buggy lagging software with no updates.
  • robinwood robinwood
     /  edited August 13

Hi, it should be a bug because others phone like mine (Nokia 3.1 model TA-1063, in Europe) are receiving updates : It received the July update as soon as it was turned on and connected during the middle of July.

May be Nokia should become aware of your problem and do something to solve it ?

Also, if you are comfortable with Android settings and data backup, you can try to factory reset it but I'm not sure of seeing why this would change something, apart from the fact that out of the box, mine did the update without any problem.

It would be interesting to discover what is blocking your updates !

• user1530748712610 user1530748712610
     /  edited August 13
    Yeah if it's true and something is blocking updates that would be interesting to know why. I've factory reseted my phone 2-3 times already due to some bugs I've encountered but still not receiving any updates. Still on may security patch as well
  • robinwood robinwood
     /  edited August 13

If the "Over The Air" way is broken then Nokia should seriously consider
    making an official USB way to upgrade/reinstall the phone.

There is 3 ways I know about flashing an Android phone's firmware

• The first one is the "Android way" (adb reboot bootloader, fastboot oem unlock, then a "flash all" script facilitating the work...), used by Google themselves for giving their users a way of upgrading or reinstalling their products. I think this mode exists on every Android smartphone, isn't it ? : https://developers.google.com/android/images
    • The second one is the Download mode. It depend of the model and brand but I think we can find this special mode on almost every android phone. It's used with a "patched" software that can be found on the Internet, but it's a dirty hacker way to do something using software that nobody knows the source, so it's clearly something that everyone should dislike.
    • The third one depends of the chipset : it's using the MediaTek PreLoader USB VCOM : while the phone is off, if you connect it to a computer, it appears during few seconds as a COM Port. Software like SP Flash Tool is then able to catch it, take it, and rewrite it with a selected firmware. But I'm not sure about where does "SP Flash Tool" comes from, and where do we found the last updated Nokia firmware of the phone without anything that would be undesired into it.

On Sony Ericsson and now Sony the phone is factory rewritten by their software using their own variant of the 3rd way, you connect the phone while pressing a button and the phone is instantly in a special "SEMC mode" allowing to flash it while the screen remain turned off.

Anyway, it would be really awesome and useful if Nokia could give an official
    way of putting the phone into the "last up to date brand new state" through a computer

• robinwood robinwood
     /  edited August 13

It would be really awesome and useful if Nokia could give an official way of putting the phone into the "last up to date brand new state" through USB

• robinwood robinwood
     /  edited August 13

One last thing, did you enter the "Developper mode", then "OEM unlock", USB Debugging or this kind of setting ? Don't know if it can block or unblock the update mechanism, but there isn't a lot of things that can be related to the updates.

Available memory ? After a factory reset I think this cannot be a problem.

Also I put an SD card into it and it's used as Internal Storage extension, and it's encrypted (it seems that the phone is encrypted and that it don't want to be unencrypted, so for using the SD card that way it asked me to encrypt the SD card too). I made it after the update, don't know if the following ones will be available for me too ?

• Seismal Seismal
     /  edited August 13

Yep, still on May.  I was hoping that the next update would fix the background app issues.

• nokiafanboy nokiafanboy
     /  edited August 13
    Could someone with Nokia support give some input on this please?
     /  edited August 13
    Bueller?

Bueller??
  • robinwood robinwood
     /  edited August 13

12 month ago, a thread started about bringing back Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

Even if there is a lot of ways or sometimes some unclear utilities to flash Android phones, what would be really needed here, is a way to flash the phone with the last version. Even if there is several utilities depending on the model's chipset or I don't know but I think the "Product feature ideas" thread "Nokia Software Recovery Tool for Nokia phones" is missing some votes !

/  edited August 13
    Is anyone from Nokia monitoring this forum?
  • spulci spulci
     /  edited August 26

I can confirm that Europe version has July Security Update at the moment of writing this message (August the 20th).

I suppose they have no bugs in releasing updates to this phone. They may have encountered some issues they are fixing before proceeding to regular release. IMHO I expect the August update to come up with a Maintenance Release to fix some bugs discussed in this forum too. It's clear that the first build needs a lot of fixes. Let's wait and see

• Seismal Seismal
     /  edited August 22

Just a data point.  I have a US 3.1 (TA-1049) on AT&T.  My security patch is May 5th.

• lazeefrog lazeefrog
     /  edited August 22

I asked this question on the Amazon.com Nokia 3.1 product page:

"Is this phone supposed to ship with android 8.1? i received mine with 8.0.0 and may 5th security patch level. it has not updated since."

It received this answer from Nokia Mobile [Manufacturer]:

"Hi there! Yes, we've looked into this and it seems that testing caused some delays in the roll-out of these updates. The team has begun releasing the July update at this time and you should be receiving that relatively soon.

Thanks!"

I guess that means 'please wait patiently'.

• robinwood robinwood
     /  edited August 22

I guess it's not surprising when a new model is freshly released on the market and when a lot of bug feedbacks and things to correct are reported before the first or second update, worst if some tests are showing some unexpected failures that should require an unexpected new iteration of corrections and testings while already in late.

But yeah, let's hope that the fulfillment to the Android One concept of "last version of Android monthly updated" will be improved :) I'm confident that Nokia will try to work on it since it's a matter of reputation and accountability, and I'm ok to show some patience if teams are working honestly for having this improved on the future.

Does anybody know the difference between TA-1063, and TA-1049 or others Nokia 3.1 variants ? Radio frequencies maybe ? Some drivers or kernel changes ?

/  edited August 23
    Almost three weeks and still no updates..
  • clino clino
     /  edited August 23

But now we've been promised last month's update is really truly rolling out!

At least that's what I was told in my Amazon review, much like lazeefrog reports above. I keep pressing the update button and it keeps telling me that SP May 5 is "up to date." TA-1049, direct from Amazon, listed at the time as an official Nokia partner. I've tried the tricks listed in the other threads for their other phones that also didn't get multiple Security Updates, but no joy.

• Seismal Seismal
     /  edited August 26
    I'm in the US and was stuck on the May update, I just got the July 5 update. Not sure yet if it has fixed any issues but I have noticed my background apps seem to stay alive longer. We'll see.
  • clino clino
     / 

Same, about an hour ago, 5 July Security Update, in the US, TA-1049 (the official US model,) direct from "Amazon com Services, Inc", they were listed as Nokia Partners at the time, even though it was a week after the Best Buy debut before they shipped phones.

I'm glad for signs of progress.

• user1528385072407 user1528385072407
     /  edited August 25

Here in EU (Italy) still on July security patches, still waiting for August. Someone from the EU has received them?

• robinwood robinwood
     /  edited August 26

Hi, mine (TA-1063, France) is still 5 July too (on August 25), and I didn't see anybody saying that he received the "xx August" security patch so I guess nobody received it.

TA-1049 (which seems to be US) got the 5 July update today (August 24 or 25) so I guess there is few chances for having an August security update on any of them ! That's disappointing but if Android 9 is coming for the next update (let's say during September ?), may be we can forgive and forget about all of the delays ;)

Not sure of how it's running inside HMD but I guess the team working on the software update should be extended a little bit.

/  edited August 26
    Thanks for the reply. So I guess we just have to wait. Yes, Android P update will be great, maybe that's the reason for the delay and if HMD want to keep up to date all the devices maybe has extend his software team
     /  edited August 26
    Finally got July security update. Since it hasn't updated since I bought the phone, I wasn't sure if the problem was on my end or Nokia's. I haven't altered any settings that I'm aware of, so it appears we can conclude the following:

1. OEM unlock shouldn't impact security updates because mine isn't unlocked;

2. Google certification doesn't impact it either (my ta-1049 is listed as uncertified);

3. Obviously deployment must vary between phone varient and likely also geography.
     /  edited August 26
    Correction from my previous post: my phone now lists being certified in Google play store's settings. Not sure when this changed except for with the security update.
  • lazeefrog lazeefrog
     /  edited August 28

Has anyone in Canada received the update? I still have not on my TA-1049.

• clino clino
     /  edited August 28

@lazeefrog There's extensive discussion in other Nokia phone threads (because long delayed first updates seems to be a theme,) about using a VPN and letting your phone think it's in the country that's getting updates. No idea if it'll work, but there's probably a few free trial VPNs you could use to check.

/  edited August 30

I just want to say that my Nokia 3.1 has just received August security patches. I'm from the EU.

/  edited August 30
    TA-1049, US varient just received August update. Thank you HMD for getting us caught up.
  • clino clino
     / 

That's unpossible, the official updates page says it's not out yet! https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/security-updates

That said, I've gotten August SU as well, US TA-1049, immediately after I saw these updates. I wonder if you'd consider leaving the question marked unanswered, though, as a convenient location for 3.1 update questions. The next Google SU will come out in about a week, after all, and someone will just (rightfully,) start a new thread in two weeks if you close this one.

/  edited August 30
    Fair point. Done!
Prev1