Nokia 6.1 giving Electric shock

I've been using Nokia 6.1 from past one month and I've noticed that the device is giving an Electric Shock from metallic back pannel while It's Charging.

Nokia 6.1 giving Electric shock

I've been using Nokia 6.1 from past one month and I've noticed that the device is giving an Electric Shock from metallic back pannel while It's Charging. I went to my nearby Service Centre and they checked it and some other device of same model and found that this problem exists in every Nokia 6.1 device. I think that there is a manufacturing defect in every Nokia device which has a metal unibody design.

Please check your device by following the instructions:
1) Remove plastic Case from your device and place it on a flat table with display facing downwards while It's Charging.
2) Remove your footwear and place your feet firmly on the ground.
3) Now, Gently move your finger on the metallic back pannel of your device. Try it on different areas of the metallic parts of your device.
4) You may feel a small Electric Shock.

I tested it with a neon tester and it showed that there is a leakage of voltage. I also tested it with a multimeter and found that there was 12V AC difference between the metallic parts of the device and an earth outlet while it's charging.

Comments

  • Has anyone tried the experiment.  I would but I sent my phone in for repair.  

  • Manish Manish
     /  edited August 11

    Yes, Notice while charging.

  • Tom88 Tom88
     / 
    Hi I believe the problem is with your charger; please get your charger replaced! Its faulty
  • @Tom88
    I've tried and tested with a different chargers, but the problem is there with the device. Here, in India we get 220V from the wall outlet. Maybe you're not facing this problem because of Lower Voltage from your wall outlet.
  • user1533618159385 user1533618159385
     /  edited August 13

    I have the same thing on mine in New Zealand. It doesn't shock you like a static shock sometimes does for example depending on what you wearing etc... With the phone facing down and charging without cover case if you drag your finger around you can feel slight vibration. I had the same thing on another phone that I had before though, which wasn't Nokia, i guess this is common? i donno.

  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Not in every phone I guess. I use my phone while charging and did not face this issue but sometimes it can occur if you don't have a proper earthing or grounding system in your house. So check for that as well. And maybe an extension board will help. And did they fix your device?
  • @D-Mi I've charged my phone from different sockets and there's not at all a problem with earthing at my home. I've even tried it in different house but still getting electrocuted. I'm an electrical Engineer and I can probably say that I've tested the earth connection and It's working fine. The problem is that the Charger should be given an extra earth terminal for safety because it's a metallic device and as per IE and IEC rules metal equipments like refrigerator, washing machine, TV's must be earthed to avoid Electric Shock but why don't chargers come under it. The genuine charger that we get here in our country India is IEC60950-1 certified and I don't know how they have certified this product without testing. You can only ignore the earthing from an electrical device only if it is made out of plastic or it is properly insulated and Neither this device has a proper grounding, nor it is properly insulated. This small shock can be dangerous for patients with cardiovascular diseases and those who rely on peacemakers.
  • Tom88 Tom88
     / 
    So issue is in the charger? Not on the phone? How about using an aftermarket charger from somw other vendor?
  • @Tom88 I've tried a few different chargers from Xiaomi, Samsung and few others and they all give an Electric shock because they do not come with Earth pin. Today it is not possible to find a three pin charger. The problem is both with the phone and charger. If the device is not to be earthed then It's metal body must be properly insulated from the electronic components to prevent leakage of current and if it is not properly insulated, then it must be properly earthed for safety. It neither have any one of these safety features. I can't believe that how can such a big organization like International electrotechnical commission approve such chargers that do not have these safety features.
  • d-mi d-mi
    ✭✭✭  / 
    You must have a defective phone just get it replaced.
  • Problem is there in every 6.1 device. Not only in my case. That's what I'm trying to say.
  • mr.dev78 mr.dev78
     / 
    It is not electric shock. When we slide our fingers on sides of 6.1 then I feel little vibration that is not electric current. It happens in some Mobiles due to full metal body. Don't think too much and don't use your engineering experiments
  • @Mr.Dev78 If it's not an Electric Shock then from where are we getting these 'vibrations'. Had the vibration motor gone mad? Or is there any hidden fan inside it for cooling it's radiator. Are you kidding an Electrical Engineer. Why you don't feel 'vibrations' when it's not charging. My multimeter has not got a supernatural powers to represent 'vibrations' in the form of Voltage I guess. Although it feels like 'vibrations' because we get 50-60Hz Alternating Current from our mains.
  • Nick Nick
     / 

    Could this indicate a bad earth in your electrical wiring?

  • Tom88 Tom88
     / 
    Again its the phone charging circuits duty to isolate your device/phone from AC mains? If there is any issue its with the charger and its a serious concern if this is true :(

    Btw i have gotten a electric shock before when my iphones charger had a melt down and was fixed wen i replaced my charger

    Also are you sure its not static electricity?
  • There's a 220 V AC potential difference between the earth and phase. That means Earth Circuit is working fine. It's not a static electricity. And now I've tested an another genuine Nokia charger borrowed from my friend and nothing happened.
  • Tom88 Tom88
     / 
    Do you mean there is no issues when you are you using your friends charger?

    If so as I suspected its a faulty charger.

    Because I dont think your phone can be grounded (not expert) but its duty of charger to isolate from mains
  • arakkal arakkal
     / 

    @user1529778850395

    do you still having the electric shock?


    is there any serious problem with your device regards the shock issue now a days?

  • arakkal arakkal
     / 

    hello all,,


    any body find electric shock issue worst than starting face?

  • nitin kachare nitin kachare
    ✭✭✭  / 
    No.I didn't find electric shock when my Nokia6.1 was charging.I am regularly used my phone while charging but sometimes it gets warm.So I used plastic back cover.I have computer so my home have earthing so may be that's why i didn't see.
  • Right, the mobile phone itself operates on DC not AC so I don't know how you managed to record 12v AC when touching the multimeter across the earth and the phone case. Plus the charger is an AC to DC converter converting 100-240v AC to 5v DC so the phone is on a completely isolated circuit to the AC that runs through your houses electrical system! Just for the record though, no DC circuits have an earth unless they're incredibly high voltages, 5v is not a big worry.

Sign In or Register to comment.