trouble getting software updates

hi Nokia! i have a question. hoping that someone will reply.

trouble getting software updates

ronn0120 ronn0120
 /  edited November 7
hi Nokia! i have a question. hoping that someone will reply. I havr trouble getting updates (MR and SP) for my nokia 6.1 every time i check it always says system up to date. im stuck with the june sec patch and build 2.22A which causes the rebooting. i tried contacting support and followed each instructions but to no avail still no update. is there something wrong with the device? it's august now. 2 months I've been experiencing the reboot and it's making me **** actually.

Comments

• Same here stuck on June update here in the UK tried everything ppl have said on these forums but still stuck on the same update
  • ronn0120 ronn0120
     / 
    damnn. not the only one. i thought that there's something wrong with my phone. are you still on build 2.22A? i'm wondering why some of us here already received the v2.22E and the july sec with same carrier and location. i feel bad because we can't do anything but wait.
  • user1531487969843 user1531487969843
    ✭✭  /  edited August 6
    Model-ta1050
    Android version-8.1.0
    Build number-00ww_2_22A_SP01
    Android security patch level-1june 2018
  • nicos18 nicos18
     / 

I am stuck on 1st June patch, model TA-1043, build 22A

• nicos18 nicos18
     / 

I also am stuck on 1st June patch, build 2.22A, model TA-1043. What's going on?

• user1529883076460 user1529883076460
    ✭✭  /  edited August 9
    The original Nokia 6 just got the August update. It seems the 6.1 may be proving problematic for them, considering being Android One of should be easier. I suspect the August update will also bring a build update, and possibly updated firmware (phone side not OS).
  • The original Nokia 6 just got the August update. It seems the 6.1 may be proving problematic for them, considering being Android One of should be easier. I suspect the August update will also bring a build update, and possibly updated firmware (phone side not OS).

On 1 July patch did me, build 2.22H.
  • Kriskuthu Kriskuthu
     / 
    Change the sim carriers you are using they may the reason to stop the update, use different sim operator and check for a update, I am also stuck in the same way before even I am having an Indian model,,..
    ✭✭  /  edited August 9
    If the provider has to approve the updates we might as well sell these phones and get something else. The whole point of Android One is to be independent and up to date. Microsoft enabled it on Windows Phones to get the Insider updates directly and immediately, and since the phones are not getting the update from the carrier, but from Nokia, that is just an invalid excuse. It used to be the case and still is on non-Android One, carrier locked devices, but not on these. I'd like to reiterate Nokia 6 are already getting the August update. It could be a firmware or software bug preventing updates, hopefully it is fixed with the August update. I suspect though we, or at least some of us, may be waiting a while.
  • Kriskuthu Kriskuthu
     / 
    Nothing can be certain in technology, confidence is OK, but do not be certain
  • user1531487969843 user1531487969843
    ✭✭  /  edited August 9
    @user1529883076460 what you said is very true I used to belong to the Microsoft insider program and got new updates as soon as they were released, but if nokia are saying its down to the carrier you are using what is the point of androidone and why advertise as androidone for timely updates
  • Snacko Snacko
     /  edited August 9

> Nothing can be certain in technology, confidence is OK, but do not be certain

I'm certain about at least two things: Nokia says that they released July patches a few weeks ago [1] and I didn't get it.

[1] https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/security-updates

• I see nokiamob.net have said some 6.1 have not received the July update at least someone acknowledges we have got the July update
  • ronn0120 ronn0120
     /  edited August 9
    I think we should just wait before throwing our phones to trash cans. Many of us here in the philippines haven't receive the update and is still stuck on june sec. It's not on the carrier, i tried switching and nothing happened. there must be some problematic bug of the build for sure. i hope that nokia is fixing this now. this also happened last year on the Nokia 6 device but they fixed it.
  • The original Nokia 6 has consistently received the monthly updates well before the Nokia 6.1, despite the 6.1 being an Android One device. Let's see how long it takes from today, when the August update is available for the Nokia 6, until its available for the 6.1 if at all for some people. Let's just hope they update to the currently latest r43 build of Oreo if it's a maintenance release also.
  • That's strange. I have the same TA-1043 model but I am on July secuty patch.
  • @user12906 what build are you on
  • user1531487969843 I am on 00WW_2_22E_SP01
  • @durr-e-adan The build you are on got the July update ppl like myself on build 00WW_2_22A_SP01 are stuck on the June update
  • nicos18 nicos18
     / 

I am also stuck on build 00WW_2_22A_SP01, and I didn't receive the July update. My problem is that, with this build, my phone lags and freezes itself, so I hope that with the new build, my phone could do bettere

• This is happening across different countries ppl with that build number are stuck on the June update even with different model numbers, I'm in the UK and model number ta-1050
  • Hmm, I hope you guys get the update soon and your problems get fixed.
    I only got my phone yesterday, hoping for the best.
  • nicos18 nicos18
     / 

@Durr-e-Adan: I also hope so, but if HMD gives some info about this issue, it would be better

• Snacko Snacko
     /  edited August 10

@nicos18 Exactly. Something went wrong? This is a special slow rollout for whatever reason? Ok, **** happens. Whatever. But communicate with your customers! Obviously something is not right at the moment or at least it is perceived that way.

• As I pointed out, the original Nokia 6 has been getting the monthly updates typically well before the 6.1, despite the 6.1 being an Android One device that is meant to speed up releases, the Nokia 6 isn't. All points to an issue with the 6.1. The OS is meant to be completely separate to the vendor layer, meaning you should be able to apply any newer build or update of Android without any modification needed. It seems they have to add modifications to each release which likely holding up the builds, that the Nokia 6 probably doesn't require.

To add insult to injury, Google releases the information to the Android One partners at least a month before release, they've already had 5 weeks at least to get the August release ready (same as previous months).
    ✭✭  /  edited August 10
    There seems to be three firmware variants, A, B, and E. For the June release, the E variant was a MR (maintebance release) as well as the security release. The A and B variants were only security updates. The E variant phones seem to have got the July update but the A and B haven't.

Not sure what the update version variants differences are, but the E release only started to show in June. It could be regional, or it could be they updated or changed some hardware that was causing issues?
  • user1528904812111 user1528904812111
    ✭✭  /  edited August 10

I've posted this repeatedly but my phone is on wifi only and it didn't get the July update.  So how is it a carrier-issue?

And as someone already posted, if it is indeed carrier-dependent then I will never factor in Android One as a decision to buy ever again.  Because what's the point? 

• we didn't receive the update yet not because of the carrier. because of our build. 2.2A and 2.2B did not receive the july update. unfortunately the 2.2A build have serious issues like the reboot.
  • It's quite possible the E variant monthly updates are being held up by the A and B variants, maybe even for July the B and/or A variant updates simply don't work so you're not getting them? If a by of this is the case, what does it mean for the future? The phone is promised to have (including the hopefully upcoming August update) at least anther 32 months of 'on time' security updates and any major releases released in the next 20 months. This means Android 10, just missing out on Android 11. However by Android 10 it may be simper to update to Android 11 and patch the software universally, much like Windows.

In any case, they've had so much troubles delivering the first 5 updates, I'm including this August update seeing as the Nokia 6 already has this, I don't see them delivering another 31 updates and two major releases on time. They'll probably do the bare minimum as required by the Android One programme to keep that status.

On the news sites for Nokia like nokiamob and nokiapoweruser there are numerous new unreleased model types reported for different markets. If you consider the addition of the 5.1 Plus, 6.1 Plus, all the variants for the remaining part of 2018, 2019, and 2020, and first part of 2021 which covers the stated support period, and that there seems to be multiple versions of the firmware covering different ages of hardware (as we suspect with the A, B, and E firmware on this device), I highly doubt monthly security updates will be a huge concern on a device causing issues with these in a year's time, let alone getting at least Android 10 if not 11, and the full promised security update support time through to mid 2021.
  • Auki Auki
    ✭✭  / 
    Thez. Time when people complain about updates some jokers trolled those who complained about it that they are addicted to updates ,am glad this update issues is affecting majority of you ,,it's unfortunate that non android one fons are always upto date and the android one version is worst optimised I told u guys to expect 9.0 April next year and August 1security patch to come 24-28th of August 2018 and even that not everyone will have it
Prev1