Nokia 8.1 freezing issue

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031042/uploads/476/U7ACVV9XIFU3.jpg

Nokia 8.1 freezing issue

Cristi Trohin Cristi Trohin
✭✭  /  edited January 16

This title may seem like clickbait(original title was DO NO BUY Nokia 8.1, but it seems Nokia forum admins didn't like it, so they changed it), but it's not. It's just my experience with the current Nokia, not the old Nokia which was miles better at everything.

So... I bought my Nokia 8.1 in August 2019. Everything worked perfectly.... In November, I was happy to receive the Android 10 update, but the happiness did not last long... Shortly after the Android 10 update, I began having what I thought were freeze issues. Of course, I attributed the issues to the Android 10 update, thinking that this initial update was bound to have some minor issues... I waited for the next update, and when I got it, I hoped that it would end all these issues I've had. Little did I know... I figured out that the freezing issues were not actually freeze issues (by freezing phone I understand a phone that has it's CPU or GPU floored so it can't do anything else at some point). I saw that while the phone appeared frozen, you could use the fingerprint sensor to slide down the notifications area (you can clearly see that in the videos I'll attach). 

So I talked to a Nokia Care rep, who said I should send the phone to service, which I did. I described the issue in all the possible detail, especially since I found that many others had this issue, even since Android 9. Those people also posted on this community page, you can find their posts if you search freezes randomly. So the service received the phone, replaced the charging port for some reason(not needed btw, not the reason I sent it to service in the first place) and returned the phone to me.

Once I got the phone back, I set it up and to my surprise, the issue re-appeared within 10 minutes of me booting the phone. The phone wasn't even set up when the issue re-appeared.

I thought I was going to go nuts when I saw that, but decided to keep my calm and contact Nokia Care again. I told them I was having the same issue, and they said to send it to service AGAIN. At this point I kinda lost my temper and asked why I should do that? They weren't able to repair it the first time, so what would I expect from them this time? I asked for a refund, but they said that is not possible.

So I did the only thing I could do, I sent the phone to Nokia Care again, in January, because there was no point sending it during the holidays. And from here on, it all goes downhill... I got it back from the service in a week with a NF service code, which means NO FAULT. They could not find the fault with the phone. I asked more Nokia Care reps what am I supposed to do now? You can guess the answer: Send it back to service. At this point I was thinking this cannot be real, this is a bad dream... I went to the store I bought the phone with, and the freeze issue occured while the sales rep was looking at the phone, but he said that since the phone is in warranty, and it's already been serviced by Nokia twice, I should just send it to Nokia Care again. The worst part is, that now, after the phone's second trip to the service, I am getting even more issues, not just the one with the frozen touchscreen. Now I get problems with launching the camera, as well as losing network signal frequently. I'll attach the videos to this post.

So, to conclude this post, please save your money and get yourself another brand of phone. Nokia is not what it's used to be. These guys just piggyback on the glory of the former Nokia, but are nothing like those guys.

Tagged:

Comments

• Cristi Trohin Cristi Trohin
    ✭✭  / 

Well.... Ain't it fun... Nokia forum admins just edited my post... Unbelievable....

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The Nokia 8.1 sales have already been stopped in most of the globe as we await a successor to launch at MWC 2020 towards the end of February.

I've owned a 8.1 too and for most of my journey, it was all smooth. I have had issues with camera crashing in certain situations. But nothing beyond that. The UI never froze to a point that I need to start being bothered. But I'll have to mention that I barely used it after the Android 10 stable was introduced.

And if your issues started after the Android 10 release, then it is all software. So far there haven't been a maintenance release on the Android 10 builds. We have only received security patches which don't mainly target bug fixes.

For the repairs, it's a bad experience indeed. But they likely couldn't find what to fix. The software team is entirely different and regular care channels can only give you the software as developed by those who work at the software level. They cannot fix it if it is not related to a specific physical component. Since there was nothing in their hands. And similarly, the verbal and online care can't really do anything other than suggesting you common fixes and then to send for service and then the service team doesn't have anything to do. It is like an infinite loop. The most ideal way of help is experience centers or care points where you can actually meet a technician and discuss your problems. Also, repairs generally always leave their signs. And you likely got into the same. As a consumer, I always aim at not having my products opened up unless it is absolutely needed. I know your case was beyond your control as it was being dealt by somebody with whom you couldn't directly communicate.

And indeed, HMD Global has to do lot more to come to the quality that the original Nokia was delivering. The only reason why I give them time and a soft corner is because they are a new company, in fact a startup. And I cannot instantly expect them to be doing things at the scale of a company which was running for decades or compare them to companies having a big pile of cash to spend (example the new Asian phone-makers). They are still doing fairly well in terms of making a footprint and getting the sales and support channels working properly. I believe every new brand/company goes through this phase.

Lastly, since this is an informal peer to peer forum, you won't find much help here. I'd recommend that you send the phone to Nokia Care again with a written letter to explain what issues you are facing. The network issue is one of the more serious ones. Probably a damaged cable or antenna or something interfering with it. And I'm sure they will be able to fix this one up. On nearly all FIH devices, the network chip is a part of the USB-C assembly sub-board and it must be that replacement when the things went wrong.I really do not know why they decided to change it.. Ah! It is just disappointing. I hope that this final trip to the care will at least bring it to the state as it was before it was first sent.

• HMDLaura HMDLaura
    Staff member  / 

@Cristi Trohin

First of all I'm sorry for your experiences but the title was against our community rules you can find -here- . We could have deleted the whole post but since we respect every opinion and experience we kept the post and just edited it accordingly.

Br,

Laura

• Sanjayparsi Sanjayparsi
    ✭✭  / 

I can totally understand you, but the issue is totally from the software side. We can't do anything unless we get an maintenance update. I'm also facing a issue but with the proximity sensor, my phone automatically turns on for every minute when it's locked. I should cover the proximity sensor to avoid that issue. And service centers are gonna do nothing with the issue that you're facing. They'll just factory reset your mobile and give back to you after 10 days. I think you'll have to wait until a maintenance update releases.

✭✭  / 

I totally get your point, I'm a software engineer myself, and I know how this works :) I guess it's a driver issue or something, otherwise the phone would not recover by lock/unlock. The thing is that my wife's phone, which is also a Nokia 8.1, doesn't have this issue. When I sent it to service the first time, I specifically asked for a re-flash, since that would have probably fixed my issue (since factory reset didn't), but instead of reflashing the phone, they replaced the charging port, which was working perfectly, and did a factory reset.

Now, my wife's phone is the older of the two, the one that works perfectly, so my guess is they switched digitizer providers in the meantime, and the driver for the new provider is screwed. It's not the only model exhibiting this issue, but this is all just guesswork, since nobody at Nokia will admit they actually have a problem.

✭✭  / 

@singhnsk In terms of just starting up, I completely understand your point, but what every company on every market should understand is that they need to own their mistakes when they make them. Samsung didn't just ship faulty Folds when they saw they have a problem. I even asked for a rollback to Pie, and they said it's not possible. I remember when Motorola updated the Milestone from Android 2.1 Eclair to 2.2 Froyo, and they realized how bad a 256MB RAM phone was handling the newer OS, they gave the users the posibility rollback to a usable version. Nokia is still maintaining Pie for markets where 10 is not yet released, so device security would not be an issue. This kind of decisions I don't understand. I asked them to give me a way to re-flash my phone, but they wouldn't "I'll void your warranty" they said. Now I ask you this: Would you rather have a phone void of warranty, but working, or one in warranty that the service is unable to fix?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I agree. I see quite a lot of gap and communication issues between their different divisions. Such that most of the times I don't think the issues reported here or via the support chat/emails actually end up on the developer's table for them to fix.

And the ability to reflash the devices is something I and a lot of people have been asking for long already. The old Nokia offered Nokia Software Recovery Tool which was the only thing any user needed to re-write the ROM partitions on the device while sitting at home. I'm still hoping that one fine day they will start working on the many important things that they have paid no attention to.

• I bought a Nokia 8.1 on April 10, 2019. I bought it for 27000 in a showroom(cell point) in my hometown. Within 1 month, the price dropped to 20,000 and later now came to nearly 11 to 12 thousand. It gave me a great loss. your company lost my trust in your product. Now due to money problem, I cant able to buy a new mobile and also my mobile is performance is not good at all. Battery performance bad, RAM and ROM are not deserved for the price, no face detection, face detection feature too bad, fingerprint performance bad, mobile working slow, heating up fastly.

Tell me how can I use my mobile with these many problems and how you will deserve your responsibility for my 27000. I became a big fool by choosing your product as my first mobile in my life. I became the most unsatisfied customer in your service. please tell me how can we set right my issue. As a big mighty and customer loving and the responsible company you must solve the customer problem

✭✭  / 

So, another bug just popped in... The homescreen this time...

• dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

Face unlock deleted by Google. Already told many times at this community.

About ROM and RAM. You could known before you bought the phones by reading specifications.

If your phone still has warranty, you have legal rights to claim a good working product.

So get up and stand up for your right.

Complaints on this community won't help.

✭✭  / 

Unfortunately, the service people are completely unprepared. They do not thoroughly test the devices they get in warranty. As I mentioned in the opening post, the second time I sent the device to service, they returned to me with a "No Fault" code. As you can see in the attached videos, the faults are there, and they appeared within minutes of booting the phone. A 5 minutes test may not reveal all faults, in which case, the phone needs to be tested for more than a split second. But, they simply do not care... So, you're left with little to do. Just send the phone continuously to service, until they either refund you or replace the device, in which case, you're left without a phone. A week for each service trip...

• dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 

I do not know how it is regulated by law in your country. I am referring to consumer rights. But if Nokia cannot offer you a working device, they are obliged to offer you an alternative. At least that is arranged in my country.

So my advice, inquire about your rights and make use of it.

✭✭  / 

You are absolutely right, and I plan to do exactly that. The law in my country states that if a product has been repaired for 3 times or more in the last 6 months I am entitled to a replacement or refund. The retailer where I bought this phone is no longer selling Nokia 8.1(they have about 40 re-sealed units, which were actually returned by customers within 30 days). Since I sent it a third time to Nokia Care, this time with the video evidence found in this post, I expect they will either replace the screen, or mainboard, or whatever is wrong with it, or I will exercise my right for a refund.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

Just check the device info in about page. Check touchscreen fw and panel revision. If it's same it could be some buggy app

Nokia has silently revised few faults with newer hardware and fixed most issues. This pattern is followed by most companies.

✭✭  / 

I can't remember the panel version to be completely honest, but what I can tell you is that my wife's 8.1, which we bought 6 months before, does not exhibit these issues, and I compared all hardware versions, and they were the same. I even used her's for a week and had no issues, and she used mine with the same problems I encountered.

• I have the same issues and this is turning me nuts. I didn't send it back because I knew they wouldn't do anything.

I have the same touch-screen firmware version as stated above.

What can I do?

• dray78 dray78
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • Mayukh Mayukh
    ✭✭  / 

Mine seems to be different.

✭✭  / 

Mine is the same as yours, Gx-4. However, after the third trip to service, the issue doesn't seem to appear anymore. They changed the screen on this last trip, after I sent them the videos from this post. Only one touchscreen glitch so far, when I tried to accept an incoming call, the screen was not responsive, but nothing to the extend it happened before. However, if I get one more freeze, I think I will ask for a refund.

• Axlon Axlon
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia fixed my freezing issue on my Nokia 8.1 by replacing the display+touch screen on my Nokia 8.1 at the servicecenter

😀