FIH Mobile are still involved with Nokia phones somehow...?

Hi all, I had a quick look to see if FIH Mobile had released their preliminary annual report yet (they haven't) but I did notice they issued two notices that they are investing money in subsidiaries which are involved in smartphones:

FIH Mobile are still involved with Nokia phones somehow...?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi all,

I had a quick look to see if FIH Mobile had released their preliminary annual report yet (they haven't) but I did notice they issued two notices that they are investing money in subsidiaries which are involved in smartphones:

TNS Mobile India:

Rising Stars Mobile India:

TNS Mobile is a not-well-known but very important part of the revival of Nokia phones by HMD Global. When Microsoft sold their mobile division, they sold a small part to HMD and a much larger part (~90% IIRC) to FIH Mobile. FIH Mobile established TNS Mobile as a subsidiary to what they had purchased from Microsoft, except possibly the phone factories (I don't know exactly which company owns the phone factories). FIH Mobile is also a significant investor in HMD.

This time last year, HMD and FIH Mobile revealed that they were changing their strategy and from then on, not all Nokia smartphones would be produced by FIH Mobile. In fact, since the 9 PureView, I don't think any Nokia smartphones have been made by FIH Mobile; I think this is also why Nokia appear to have completely disappeared from the market in China. FIH Mobile announced they were stopping their logistics and distribution business, which I and others assumed meant that TNS Mobile was being shut down... but it appears that this is not the case! So, what are TNS still doing in India? Are TNS still active elsewhere? 🤨

Rising Stars is an electronics manufacturer and they manufacture various things including phones. Maybe they own the phone factories? They are part of another subsidiary of FIH Mobile called Wonderful Stars, and honestly the corporate structure of FIH Mobile and the wider Hon Hai group (Foxconn) probably needs a PhD to understand! 😫

FIH Mobile also own Sharp and InFocus brands for smartphones, neither of which are as well known as Nokia but maybe FIH is using TNS to support development of those brands? 🤔

Please all share your ideas and speculation about what these activities by FIH Mobile mean for Nokia phones - no matter how wild! 😂

Cheers 🙂

Tagged:

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Nice observation. Ironically, it is only a few days that I was fiddling with their website and looking for new financial reports. Guess we still need to wait more on that.

From the PDF: The principal activities of TNS Mobile India are sales, import and export, distribution, repair and handling of consumer electronics for mobile and communications (including, but not limited to, communications equipment, wearable devices, e books, and wireless and radio frequency devices).

But I have seen that Nokia Support email replies no longer come from TNS addresses. Moreover, the direct sales (via Nokia's digital platforms) are handled by HCL Infosystems Ltd (Dynamic Trade Solution Services Private Limited; Digilife Distribution and Marketing Services Ltd. c/o Innovative Tradelinks Services Pvt. Ltd.). It seems whenever we start peeking into a big corporate, they mostly always have just too many sister companies to distribute different areas of operations).

HCL used to handle support (care center operations) for the former Nokia (in its last years). So, I believe HCL now handles customer support and distribution for HMD in India. HCL handles care for a lot of other smartphone companies as well.

That brings me to the outcome that TNS is no longer a HMD partner in India as well. TNS could be using the base which it has already setup to provide services to the other companies or new startups. And maybe they are planning an expansion given the fact that India is a growing market for electronics.

However, for now, they do not mention Nokia on their website(s). Which can also mean that the service and offline distribution is still being handled by TNS Mobile.

HCL provides Repair & Service Centre support for Lava, Philips, Acer Mobile, OnePlus, Samsung, Lenovo Smartphones, Xiaomi, Coolpad, Omi.

As far as imports of Nokia branded products is concerned, it is directly managed by HMD Mobile India Pvt. Ltd. All that suggests that FIH might be pumping in money into TNS because "export" is also mentioned as a function of TNS in India. Given the situations over China and US, there are good reasons for a lot of manufacturing to switch to India and maybe FIH is just preparing for that with the use of an established base of TNS?

Rising Stars, Wonderful stars, as you noted are manufacturers and they manufacture for whoever contracts them. The last HMD product I found from them was the Nokia 2.2. TNS best compliments Rising Stars by helping them export devices since Apple as well as Amazon have said to moved a significant part of their manufacturing to India.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @singhnsk,

I think you analysis sounds pretty good! I knew I'd seen the Rising Stars name somewhere before, thanks for reminding me.

As for TNS... you're probably right, they're probably not doing anything for HMD any more, at least not directly.

Maybe looking at FIH Mobile for info on HMD is not worth it any more - the next financial report will tell us if this is the case.

Cheers 🙂

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly Given FIH's significant investments in HMD, I'm sure they will have to inform their shareholders about what is happening with their investments. So, they will have to provide some information about what happened to HMD. The only exception will be if they have already divested..

I am very interested about knowing what happened to the thing about HMD being in an investments round and then never announcing what they secured. They did announce those the last time they managed to get significant investments. They probaby failed to secure much this time.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @singhnsk,

I expect that HMD didn't announce anything because their new valuation was actually lower than previously and they are no longer a "unicorn"!

I'll keep looking for the preliminary annual report, I'm sure it will be released soon if it's like last year.

Cheers 🙂