How good is a camera with almost zero post-processing?

Hi all, Some of you may know what I'm interested in alternative mobile OSes, one of which is UBPorts Touch, which used to be Ubuntu Touch.

How good is a camera with almost zero post-processing?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi all,

Some of you may know what I'm interested in alternative mobile OSes, one of which is UBPorts Touch, which used to be Ubuntu Touch. They have recently started to officially support some more recent smartphone models (but nothing from the last year or so yet) and have done some comparisons of the cameras on them: https://ubports.com/blog/ubports-blog-1/post/ubuntu-touch-photography-259

It's a very interesting read and I think it shows that the most important thing to have in a phone camera is first of all great hardware - software is secondary (though still very important if done well - hello Lumias!). Basically, the Oneplus 3 with the smaller but better sensor and OIS produces better photos than the Xperia X.

Cheers 🙂

Tagged:

Comments

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Software too is equally important for better results.

Everyone knows that Nokia smartphones (Which supports camera 2 api) gives much much better and crisp result using Gcam but when we use the same phone with stock camera results are not that good.

So for me not only hardware but also software is equally important.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Lazysince1995 you are right, that is a good example, of course software is very important. However, I would argue that sometimes it is better to have no post-processing (just a basic JPEG compression) than have software that is over-zealous in how is processes the image. For example, I find HMD's phones' photos of trees, grass and other foliage (also anything else with lots of edges in it) often appear hazy, which is because the sharpening algorithm is being over-active trying to "sharpen" all of the edges. If you want to see this for yourself compare some photos from Lumias with HMD's phones, you will see what I mean.

This discussion of hardware vs software for cameras has reminded me of a phrase:

You can't polish a ****, but you can put glitter on it. 😉

Happy shooting 🙂

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah, I noticed that. Edges are so sharped sometimes. While Lumia were much better in providing natural edges and colors.

Also one major thing i noticed is, while shooting sunrise and sunset hues the resulting images turns just white sky or no colors or any drama. I don't know its because of turning on HDR or HMD's processing for HDR.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Lazysince1995,

I don't think I've particularly noticed that on my Nokia 8, but I'm sure it depends on phone model.

Cheers 🙂

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 22

That's gcam magic right there. But yes it needs camera 2 api. But if we have even better hw the results would be even better. 🙂

✭✭✭✭  / 

I personally am a hw person. The better the hw the better will be the images and i don't like heavy post processing done by current smartphones. As @madbilly pointed out about the over sharpening of leaves etc. I have talked about it since day 1 of me owning a Nokia 2 and later on same goes for 7 Plus, 7.2 and all other Nokia smartphones. Lumias kept it soft. I came across this OmniVision's new 48MP image sensor that's as big as the current 64MP sensors. This big sensor will definitely perform better than the 48MP sensors from Sony or Samsung due to larger size. :)

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for sharing @Kartik Gada ! 😲

Oh give me that sensor with OIS and I'll be a happy human! 🙏

Cheers 😃

✭✭✭✭  / 

I would If I could.😅

Maybe even more crazier camera phones would launch under Nokia name if HMD did what we requested hehe.

• iamkrishna08 iamkrishna08
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Camera will be almost worst with zero post processing. Processing the image matters a lot. It's like cooking the food. Cooked food is good and way better to consume than raw.

• Nirmal Katariya Nirmal Katariya
    ✭✭✭  / 

Big sensor comes with big problems.

They have very very narrow focus plan.

Mi Note 10 with 108 MP, Samsung galaxy s20 ultra with 108 MP, Oppo Find X2 Pro with 48 MP all have big sensor with focus issue. If we can't take pictures with subject in focus, there no meaning of MP.

Did you notice why Apple stick to 12MP and Sony Xperia II has all 12MP sensor ?

Because focus is more important than MPs or OIS or anything else.

😁 Thanks

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 25

Hi @iamkrishna08,

I don't agree at all. Did you actually read the blog post I referred to? It points out that in the absence of post-processing the hardware matters a lot (obviously) and not necessarily the MP count - pixel size and OIS probably matter more. Post-processing matters a lot if you're using poor hardware, which a lot of cheaper phones are doing.

And to carry on your analogy further I think we can easily find examples where food is better raw than cooked... how do you like your mangoes? 🍈

@Nirmal Katariya, that's interesting, I didn't know that about big sensors. But what is also interesting is that other big sensor phones, like the old Nokia 808 and Lumia 1020 PureView didn't have difficulty focusing; macro shots were more difficult, IIRC, but apart from that no problems.

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly if you've seen my answer I've told it clearly that camera will be almost worst with zero post processing in context to this blog post. This is because is because even if dslr camera's have big sensors, a lot of hardware things are there but they've dedicated processer to process that image like digic in canon. So processing the image also matters a lot and that's why, i gave an example of raw & cooked food not of fruits.

✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 25

I believe what @madbilly focussed on was over processing. Almost Zero post processing will still fall under processed category but not over processed. It would be like a raw image but a bit more processed. You are right, every digital camera will have to process the clicked image. But processing and over processing makes a lot of difference. 🙂

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Fruit is food isn't it? I eat them, so they must be.

Fine though, I get your point @iamkrishna08, you mean that we need at least some processing to get a usable photo. This is true.

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭✭  /