Why is the Nokia 9 still on the November security patch?

We're about to hit February and this phone is still on November's patch in the UK.

Why is the Nokia 9 still on the November security patch?

youhippy youhippy
✭✭✭  / 

We're about to hit February and this phone is still on November's patch in the UK.

Will we get a massive update in February after the announcement on the 23rd? That will be nearly another months wait.

Comments

• Magicdesign Magicdesign
    ✭✭  / 

It would be nice if hmd respected their customers enough, to let them know. I assume the UK carriers have decided not to roll them out.

hmd should release a software suite to allow customers to manually update their device (in any country).

• Balaji.S Balaji.S
    ✭✭  / 

Same in India too.. still in November's patch

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

As far as I'm aware a lot of European countries already updated with the last patch. Problem is on local level - authorities dealing with this kind of things need to approve them, the local carriers too. Things in UK are pretty stall with all this brexit fiasco. I'll be surprised if we get the December patch by mid February. And I don't expect a proper patch containing January security update by the end of March.

✭✭  / 

Brexit is not effecting carrier day to day operations in device software update departments.

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

You should be right. But most European countries already got the update. Weeks ago. 😂

✭✭  / 

The UK carriers have often just not bothered to release monthly updates.

i am not sure why they think they need to block them, given the fact the rest of europe release them quickly.

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

Funny thing is till now I got a security update every month. That's since I got the phone back in March 2019. Then in the beginning of December Android 10 happened and now UK users are stuck with November security patch with Android 10. Tons of bugs and not a single word from Nokia if they're going to bother to fix them.

✭✭  / 

The December patch rolled in Australia today, so just the UK waiting now.... (that I know of).

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

No update in India too. I am still on Pie with November security patch.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Y U no sideload? 😴

The 9 is probably the only phone ever seeing such a delay in the release of an update. They usually keep India in the list of initial markets where the rollout starts.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited February 5

I don't want to and you know why. 😂😂

I am happy that HMD didn't release it for every market and the delay saved them from so many angry Nokia 9 PureView users who would have updated to Android 10 and faced bugs. Better to release it after a new major release. 😁

EDIT: Nokia 9 PureView wil also be getting Android 11. 🙈 I wonder how will that perform. That's in 2021 though. 😅

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Was it the underpowered Nokia 2 that was held back from an update? Maybe we'll get this for the Nokia 9. Users will get the choice to upgrade further. 🤣

✭✭  / 

A few days after the December patch, the January patch has now just rolled out to Australian devices.

my money is on feb being released shortly, also missing out UK devices.

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

It's not Nokia's fault. Every country has a authority that needs to approve the patch or update or whatever. Then the local providers need to approve them as well. As far as I can see - the ones in UK are not doing their job. It is ridiculous that on 07 feb they still haven't approved the December security update, let alone the January one. And in the next couple of days there would be a February one. I already updated. Got a sim card from Romanian friend and it took me about 20 mins for the two patches to be applied.

• andycoydwilson andycoydwilson
    ✭✭  / 

I have Sim free N9 PV and still no update in UK! Maybe is more to do with model/ver of device?

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

I highly doubt that. Remember that before December we got all the security updates on time. Most of the times. Usually in the last 10 days of the month. So it has nothing to do with the model being UK one. If you want email your provider with a question. On the side note it will be funny situation if Nokia provides promptly updates but the local providers be like "Uh, oh! We have 5 million customers and only 80 of them are with Nokia 9PV. Let them wait, they are not important. Samsung and Apple are most important". If something like this happens for real I don't see the point of the Android One to be honest.

• andycoydwilson andycoydwilson
    ✭✭  / 

If you check the official Nokia update tracker it states for my firmware on Android 10 that i should have at least Dec security update or for sp2 software the January one ! But as we all know very few have in any region or provider. Sim free phones do not need provider permission for updates so if is totally down to a Nokia rollout issue or omission!

Why haven't Nokia reached out with a simple explanation? Nokia of old would have posted something on the forums after users asking!

✭✭  /  edited February 8

The weird thing was, when I sideloaded the December patch to my UK Nokia 9, the January patch came though instantly.

It's almost like HMD have failed to deliver the December patch to the UK which has acted as a block to all the subsequent updates...

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  /  edited February 8

Unlocked devices don't care about provoiders but the authority in the country in question have the last word. Or Nokia screwed up and frankly doesn't care. And this shows what kind of company it is. There's some brands that when you buy a flagship phone from them and you have problems the support team will go extra mile just to make sure the customer is happy. I remember when I got my 2 Nokia 9PV there was a promotion in UK with a chance to get free Bluetooth earbuds. For the first 100 buyers or something like that. I entered my IMEI, they informed me that I'm winner with both my devices, I waited one month so they can be sure I'm not going to return the phones. Month after that - nothing. I spoke with live chat - they said I'm a winner and just give it a week for the earbuds to arrive. Nokia support told me that I'm not a winner trough email. In the live chat they confirmed I'm a winner for sure and probably their colleague made a mistake. I had to escalate this to a higher level and speak with the management over the phone to sort it out. Don't get me wrong - it doesn't matter if I'm having free earbuds or not. The problem was that obviously no one knows what happens internally in the company running the promotion. One person is saying yes, second is saying no, third person saying yes again. No transparency at all. It is not normal to contact management over the phone to sort it out.

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 

The fact is this. The Nokia 9 released with build 00WW_5_13D is still officially on November. My UK Nokia phone is this build and that is the latest update according to the Nokia website. So no UK carrier's have withheld any updates. Nokia just haven't put out any updates since November for this build.

Check for your exact version for updates here

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/security-updates

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Oooooh, interesting. I was chatting to nokia support (a lot of good that ever is) and they were blaming the carriers. Nokia hasn't even released any updates for my phone. (Same build as your one)

✭✭  / 

You are reading that wrong. That's not your phone model, that's the software version. Mine was on the same as you until December patch and then different after the January patch. It changes with each update.

• Keith Keith
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Magicdesign Either way the official update list specifically states that the November update is the latest update for my version. I noticed some builds are on October and still on Pie.

✭✭  / 

That's not your version. That's the software version

• N808 N808
    ✭✭  / 

The Model Number of my phone is TA-1082, and is still on Build Number 00WW_5_13D.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

The sideloading of the December patch has helped!

• Balaji.S Balaji.S
    ✭✭  / 

Same in india android 9 and November security patch

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

@Jomar give this a try. It took me a few attempts to make sure everything was working. (Restart the pc after downloading everything). I'm up to the January update now.

• cquence cquence
    ✭✭  /  edited February 10

I don't see why one would have to go through the trouble of sideloading official updates. This is really disappointing. I had the Nokia 8 for 2 years and there were no problems whatsoever with update frequency. So what will happen to the people that don't want/don't have time to fiddle with sideloading? They will stay forever in Nov-19 update? I mean seriously what is the point of Android One then? sorry for the rant