Music playing on the Nokia 110?

Hello Today I bought myself a nokia 110, both as a detox measure, and as a copout untill the day I'm ready to switch with Android.

Music playing on the Nokia 110?

βωρδάρτ βωρδάρτ
✭✭  / 

Hello

Today I bought myself a nokia 110, both as a detox measure, and as a copout untill the day I'm ready to switch with Android.

I like the phone (my first classic nokia), however I was surprised to see no music-playing feature on it. The music icon is absent from its position (6th in the menu as illustrated on the Nokia website), I tried loading some MP3s on the SD card and none would open...

This comes as a surprise, as the music features of the 110 are prominently advertised on the Nokia site: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_int/nokia-110

So, could anyone, possibly someone from HMD, explain this?? Music was a big part of why I chose this phone.

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

This is weird. Not sure why this would happen. Try resetting the phone once and see if it gets fixed. Or else you will have to contact Support or go to the nokia care centre.

• βωρδάρτ βωρδάρτ
    ✭✭  / 

I called the Darty helpdesk, and seemingly the version of the 110 sold in Europe lacks any music features, contrary to the version sold in central america for example.

If this is true, this is messed up. I heard HMD would be giving more focus to Europe in the future, they could start by fixing such incoherencies.

The phone was advertised worldwide as a modern-day xpressmusic/xseries phone basically, it would be weird to see it lack its foremost feature, were it only on the old continent.

✭✭✭✭  / 

Can you tell what is Darty? A retailer? And which country in Europe? I don't think HMD would remove a music feature depending on the region. Also, if they had to remove it then would they still keep the sd slot? I don't see any logic in this. Just reset the phone and see if it works. I hope it does. :)

• βωρδάρτ βωρδάρτ
    ✭✭  /  edited February 1

Darty is a retailer in France, owned by Fnac.

I guess the SD card had to remain because of the camera and video features,

I'll try resetting (if I can move all of my contacts to the sim card)

anyways, thanks

✭✭✭✭  / 

Ok so there is a possibility that the retailer doesn't know much. I am sure that there's just one type of Nokia 110 and it has mp3 support. 🙂

Wqiting for your reply after the reset. 😊

✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 2

I just checked Nokia Mobile's france website and Nokia 110 isn't listed there. I would recommend you to check if the phone is original and not fake. Can you post the images?

• βωρδάρτ βωρδάρτ
    ✭✭  /  edited February 2

here's a photo of the phone

I looked up an unboxing on YouTube, and the packaging of mine is slightly different (all mentions of music are removed, the back-of-the-box Screenshot shows the camera instead)

However, When setting the go-to shortcuts menu, the music player appears in the option, but it wont make it appear in the menu whatsoever.

Also, the phone only has an option to reset the settings, which didn't change anything after doing it. There is no "hard reset"

Darty had almost the whole array of nokia feature phones in store (105, 110, 216, 2720, 3310, 800,230, 8110... and more I think), even though few are on nokia's french website.

EDIT: I found another unboxing, with the same packaging as mine, but which has music playing anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBoUOoMoqls

✭✭✭✭  / 

Contact Nokia Care. They are the only ones left who can help you now.

cc: @singhnsk

• βωρδάρτ βωρδάρτ
    ✭✭  / 

Well, I asked them, and they couldn't help me further (they suggested customizing the go-to menu to add music, but there wasn't a music checkbox)

✭✭✭✭  / 

You will have to ask them to fix it or just replace the phone. How can they not provide a feature which is clearly advertised. Ask them to either fix it or replace the phone.

• So, I spoke for the second time to Nokia Care, and they confirmed what I heard:

The Nokia 110 sold in Europe definitely doesn't have a music-playing app, or a MP3 codec. However, you can use the file explorer to play .AAC, .WAV and .MP3 files.

This is kind of inconvenient since you have to open musics one by one (no play all)

Replacing the phone would be of no use, since the replacement unit would for language reasons remain European.

Besides, the software cannot be flashed to another version.

✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 24

That's a very inconvenient way to listen to music and if it is possible that way then why didn't they provide a music player in devices sold in Europe?

@HMDLaura Why would HMD want to do this? Also, all the marketing material and information available on website of different countries of europe do not even mention about the missing mp3 player.

@singhnsk Check this out and share your thoughts.