Google Security Patch 2020-01 on Nokia 7.1 disaster

On Fri, Jan 31, I rebooted my Nokia 7.1 and it would not come back up. It had a screen saying it could not load something to do with crypto.

Google Security Patch 2020-01 on Nokia 7.1 disaster

On Fri, Jan 31, I rebooted my Nokia 7.1 and it would not come back up. It had a screen saying it could not load something to do with crypto. Options were to try again or factory reset. After many attempts to try again, I finally had to reset. It showed that it was downloading a Google Security Patch 2020-01. As soon as it finished that, the phone rebooted and went back to screen saying the same thing... Crypto won't load. After I did another factory reset, I PAUSED the update and I can now use the phone. What is the problem here?!? Anyone else have trouble with this update?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Blažević Blažević
    ✭✭  / 

Same here... spent a day with nokia care but no result, we tried everything from remote reset, to going into safe mode .... same result...

I went into developer mode just so i can stop automatic install if i restart phone and such...

Such a shame... 17mb patch to do so much dmg...

• saisw saisw
    ✭✭  / 

I faced a similar issue and then lost all my data. I have since downgraded to android 9. Peace of mind. No data corruption, no factory resets, no audio distortion.

That android 10 update notification is available, I aint clicking on it even if somebody put a gun to my head.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

This is a common issue on Nokia 7.1. With every new update, a small number of devices will face the issue randomly. It's not necessary that the ones who have previously faced the issue will face it again. There are always fresh and random cases. You'll see that there are others in the forum who managed to install this update just fine.

You'll also see others on the forum who had an issue previously for an update which installed fine for you.

So, yeah the best option is to just give up these updates and stick to a working version. And when you go ahead with updates, always backup all your data. You never know when things go wrong.

• eki007 eki007
    ✭✭  / 

Same problem with Nokia 8! Seems to be corrupted Google security patch 2020. It doesn't download fully. Stucks at Resume, remains blinking and does not continue further. Shame on HMD Global!

• Travis Draper Travis Draper
    ✭✭  /  edited February 4

Does anybody know of a fix for this? My phone has been constantly doing the factory reset. Even when I restore it to a default version of the phone with no customization, the update breaks the phone.

Edit:

I was able to enable developer mode and turn off automatic installation of updates, hopefully this keeps my phone working for longer. I will update everyone if I get this fixed.

• Makwana.nitin Makwana.nitin
    ✭✭  / 

Thank God I am on November 2019 Security patch...!

• eki007 eki007
    ✭✭  / 

Today I received a new Google security patch 2020-1 for my Nokia 8. Now it downloaded and installed normally, no problems at all. Thanks HMD!

• Travis Draper Travis Draper
    ✭✭  / 

I'm guessing that it is some small percentage of customers that are having the issue, and I guess HMD still has no idea why.

I would really appreciate finding out what is wrong with my phone, and a fix that doesn't require me spending $60 just to be without my phone for a week while they pretend to fix it.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

You can opt for a remote flashing (over TeamViewer) which won't cost you a lot :)

• jaikn1985 jaikn1985
    ✭✭  / 

I have installed Dec security patch manually without any issues ans got Jan security patch immediately. That also installed without any issues.

Nokia 7.1 TA-1100. UK

• Pawan N Pawan N
    ✭✭  / 
  • Bekti Afre Ratri Bekti Afre Ratri
    ✭✭  / 

I'm facing the same problem with Google security path 2020-02 on Nokia 6.1 plus. I tried it twice.

• gm123 gm123
    ✭✭  / 

Some suggest not installing security updates.

Not possible, they are installed automatically along with system updates.

• Amabal72 Amabal72
    ✭✭  / 

Latest security update for Nokia 7.1 renders the phone useless and cannot boot. I have disabled automatic updates, and had to factory reset the phone. I still get prompts to update my phone because it is insecure, but where is the security update that doesn't crash the phone? Real pity. Unless fixed, I shall move away from Nokia in my next purchase. Hardly any updates for a phone that for me was newly purchased less than a year ago.

• Mariajohns Mariajohns
    ✭✭  / 

Having same issue with Google security patch 2020-03 on Nokia 7.1.

I had already done factory reset more than 3 times.

• Shaaadel Shaaadel
    ✭✭  / 

Holy sh...t this update ruined my phone

I hate android 10 as well 😭😭😭😭

• Vivekiyer Vivekiyer
     / 

Hey all,

Am too fed up with this small update, getting frequent rebooting. Is it okay to move into Nokia 7.2 as i have 7.1 in current. If not anyother budget android mobiles pls suggest.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

back up and factory reset your device. what app are you using when this happens?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

what issue do you have. when you did a factory reset did you use the restore ?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • user1543829150156 user1543829150156
    ✭✭  / 

My nokia 7.1 also have same problem . The phone rebooted continuously after upgrading April security patch , its showing Android file is not found and only one solution that is factory data reset.😭😭😭😭😭😭. And also after after upgrading Android 10 there is some issues on camera software

• ratcvr ratcvr
     / 

I also face same/ similar issue after updating two days back. it shows "enablefilecrypto_failed" at the bottom of the screen. I did a factory reset but still have the same issue after reboot ( possibly after the system update)

How to solve this issue?

• DelIwio DelIwio
    ✭✭  / 

Nokia 7.1 just bricked 2 days ago, since then did twice more, presumably after trying to update 2020-04 April security patch. Luckily had backups (3 days ago) but 2FAs and waking up to BSOD telling me about corrupt file system on Monday morning 5 minutes before work made it ****.

Had a bunch of other minor and mid-size issues with the phone over the last ~14 months, now just waiting till end of June for another manufacturer to launch the sales of a certain device. Shame, I was always a huge promoter of Nokia, loved the looks i'd get putting it on the table and even the endless "Oh wow, is it a Nokia? Are they still alive?" questions. But flagship is disappointing, mid-range is weak and there's just no more incentive to stick around.

• Zadies Zadies
    ✭✭  / 

Same problem while updating security patch 2020-04 and lost my all data.

• Taby57 Taby57
    ✭✭  / 

Issue resolve or not??

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

This issue is not on every phone or happens all the time. It effects a few phones each update. Backup your data before rolling new patches on the 7.1

• sureshnath sureshnath
    ✭✭  / 

I had same problem of "Boot Reason: enablefilecrypto_failed" with every update, until I had my phone security lock option as a password. But as soon as I start using the a 4 digit PIN number as my security lock, the updates has been smoother.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Mine happened with a pin only and I had to send phone to be reflashed. It's a really bad thing to happen.