Possibility of advanced search?

Hi, I am trying to look for a thread in the community and I am having a hard time.

Possibility of advanced search?

singhnsk singhnsk
✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 3

Hi, I am trying to look for a thread in the community and I am having a hard time. I remember nearly all famous communities have an "Advanced Search" mode where we can use multiple filters to reduce the search results and find the one we need. Apart from that, some communities also support using special characters such as using quotes to look for an exact phrase instead of letting the engine match each word separately.

While I'll try to use Google's advanced search to look for what I want, I will drop this as a suggestion. There should be a way to perform an advanced search where at least we can search within threads by a particular user, or within that selected forum section (say Nokia 7 Plus).

Scenario 1:

If I want to search for Android 10 in the Nokia 7.2 forums, I need to go through the results of the entire forum.

Scenario 2:

I want to search for a thread by @madbilly (which I am really doing right now) and I still need to get through the results from all across the forum.

Scenario 3:

I want to search for a thread/comment for which I remember a date range. For example around MWC 2019. I could filter down my results between that date if there was such an option instead of fiddling through all the posts which happened on the forum during its lifetime. Very hard to find old items.

Or is there some way to perform an advanced search? Maybe I am not familiar. Any enlightenment will be helpful.

Comments

• HMDLaura HMDLaura
    Staff member  / 

Hi @singhnsk

thanks for the input. I agree that is something that would be really useful. Right now there is no advanced search - but I will definitely raise this to the teams.

For Scenario 2: In case you know the username it might help to just go to the username and click on discussions so you have the list of all the discussions made by this specific user. In case of @madbilly you should end up -here-

Br,

Laura

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @singhnsk,

I agree, that's a very good suggestion. It is available on Vanilla forums AFAICT https://blog.vanillaforums.com/product/crafting-a-better-forum-search and there are also some plugins https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/browse/plugins/recent

"Teams" you say @HMDLaura? Since a team must really be at least two people, and you have more than one team, this means there must be at least 4 people working on the forum software! Great! I imagine they're all also working on other things most of the time though. Is it four different people or did you clone @arttuaa? 😆

Cheers 🙂

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 5

Thanks @madbilly I was fiddling through Vanilla documentation and there's indeed a plugin/addon which appears official, with the same title "advanced-search" and all that is required is to enable it and then edit the page source into calling the shortcode searchbox_advanced instead of searchbox. That's it. Would be a 2 min job for the maintainer.

More here https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/14-advanced-search

@HMDLaura I was aware of that method, but it still requires me to read titles of each thread and madbilly really has a lot of them 🙈 I ended up using Google search with some quotes to specify what I was looking for. I saw the screenshots of advanced search (liked above) and it looks meaningful to me. Finally we'll have a use for the dedicated forum-home.url/search webpage. Hopefully the team(s) react soon on that :) Thank you.

@arttuaa 's last active makes me feel scared but I'll keep my hopes 😊

Meanwhile, I also saw an advanced search brings autocomplete too which brings suggestions as the user types. I think that will be a nice way to make people reach old threads instead of creating new. They type a keyword and instantly get a matching result. They'll go there instead of pressing the new-discussion button.

Or alternatively and even better, like some other platforms, the first step to getting a support answer is to type in the search box. And then look at the list of inline search results. The user is given a choice to choose from them and at the bottom, there's a "None of them match my question. Let me ask" button which finally allows the user to make a new discussion. Add such a setup and the number of duplicate threads here will become rare. And we'll also be able to identify issues of greater importance.

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

At least duplicate threads should be filtered. Everyday a lot of repeat threads gets posted on forum and its too annoying to see again and again same thing.

• HMDLaura HMDLaura
    Staff member  / 

@madbilly and @singhnsk weeelll... it is not a dedicated community team ... but I have to coordinate these kind of things with the web team and digital team (they have other topics usually) because they are the ones able to do the technical changes. I know that it would be a simple change but just enabling the advanced search is not all. You also have to configure it to the design which I can not do on my own unfortunately. So in short, that is the reason why I have to discuss with other "teams" and as you can imagine before MWC there is a lot of other stuff going on for all of us and this function won't get high priority for now. But I hope we can tackle this after MWC :)

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Thank you for your efforts @HMDLaura :) When will you bring to us some teasers for the MWC event? 😈

• HMDLaura HMDLaura
    Staff member  / 

@singhnsk

hmmm... I wonder 🤔😁😉

• ScaryBarry ScaryBarry
    ✭✭  / 

Yes, I agree, there should be a search bar in each time for a result. Total nonsense to see loads of pages in the results but you can refine the search any futher.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

And now MWC has passed.... or was it postponed? Or cancelled....

Anyway, we're passed that date, past the rescheduled launch date so now you're all in calm waters at HMD towers and can get this advanced search in place? Oh, drat, I forgot everyone's locked in at home!

Still, would be useful.

Cheers 🙂