Make own UI for Nokia phones

Hi. I'm a Nokia fan rather than being an Android user.

Make own UI for Nokia phones

abdulrahman abdulrahman
✭✭  /  edited February 6

Hi. I'm a Nokia fan rather than being an Android user. While HMD claiming that maximum number of people like to have a stock Android UI on their phones, there are bunch of people who want a customized UX which may increase the beauty of their phones. I'm one of those people. Why I'm saying this here is, Stock Android is becoming very poor day to day. It lacks lot of basic features. Also, it makes us fools by introducing an age-old small features to a major OS update. So, please make a customized skin for Nokia phones. Forget that Android One program (no one like that other than some phone reviewers who not even use one phone for a month and simply saying stock Android is good).

@HMDLaura @Miika Mahonen

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Exactly my thoughts. Most known tech reviewers who say stock Android is good are either using a Samsung Galaxy, or a OnePlus or else an iPhone for their daily usage. Yes, some are also using Google Pixels. So, most of them are actually using a custom made Android UI for their daily use.

Other than that, there's one other fundamental problem. YouTubers are more or less a social celebrity and their life revolves more or less around social media. So, for most YouTubers, a smartphone is only for making videos, watching videos and then using social media (Twitter, Insta; etc) to interact with their followers. I do not find YouTubers are core end-user type people anymore.

I really want HMD to change a step sideways and spend some resources into researching what users want. If stock Android was the way to sell phones, then other OEMs aren't just stupid that they invest so much into developing a UI of their own and also the complimenting apps. It is cheaper for every OEM to just take stock Android and pre-load Google apps and sell the phone. It is a fact that no other popular OEM sells only full stock Android as 100% if its portfolio. Motorola and Asus are quite close to stock, but even they include additions/features to make the user experience better.

• abdulrahman abdulrahman
    ✭✭  / 

I think it will be better if Nokia make a customized version of Android which is downloadable on their website and give it as an option (like Mi A1 can be flashed with MIUI downloaded from Official MIUI site).

@singhnsk What you think about this!

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That's a nice plan too. Let users choose what they want to use. HMD really needs to at least start experimenting. I think the first milestone to do that will be to allow bootloader unlocks before they let us change the phone's software.

• abdulrahman abdulrahman
    ✭✭  / 

@singhnsk Yeah! Bootloader unlocking is important for development. But HMD's opinion is like, it's not suitable for a Nokia device which is bonded with Security and trust. Unlocking bootloader and root permission may void the phone's warranty, isn't!?

That's truly acceptable in my opinion.

My thought is Nokia may provide an In-built app (software/UI manager) by which user can update the software into their own version without going to unlocking the bootloader.