VoWiFi on Three UK Network on Nokia 7 Plus

Voice over WiFi obviously works for the Nokia 7 Plus, as this devices works with other providers in other countries, and also works on Vodafone in the UK.

VoWiFi on Three UK Network on Nokia 7 Plus

Leaskovski Leaskovski
✭✭  / 

Voice over WiFi obviously works for the Nokia 7 Plus, as this devices works with other providers in other countries, and also works on Vodafone in the UK.

I am on the Three UK network which is the UKs 4 largest provider (as of Statista data 2020, https://www.statista.com/statistics/375986/market-share-held-by-mobile-phone-operators-united-kingdom-uk/).

Currently I am unable to use VoWiFi as the option is not available to me on my Nokia 7 Plus. It is my understanding that this is a fairly simple thing to implement for other providers, and I quote Three UK's support team:

13:58Mark

Moving forward in line with our network provisioning, we're looking for most devices to be open market enabled or at least 3UK ranged to enable the feature.

With older models we can't guarantee that the manufactures will provide software patches to enable wi-fi calling :(

14:01Customer

Ok, so now I am going to ask a question that you may or may not be able to answer... They settings needed to be ion the handset for it to work with your network, is that just a generic setting, or is it specific to handsets, i.e. if one device on the same android version gets these settings and thus enabled, would other handsets for that manufacturer be able to use those same settings?

14:02Customer

Im thinking that if HMD get at least one handset enabled for the feature, then they can apply those settings to other roms of devices they are still shipping rom updates for (such as my device)

14:02Customer

The 7 plus is an android one handset, so is getting monthly updates

14:08Mark

Yeah, granted, it's still an up to date device, although the specifics on how HMD provision the updates is out of the networks control, although we'd love it if every device was enabled!

At the moment, all we can say that the 7 Plus isn't supported on Three.

Personally, I'd guess that this was due to our previous partnership not being renewed.

14:08Mark

We are no longer sell HMD/Nokia devices.

Obviously Android should do VoWiFi provisioning better, but as you still provide OTA updates for the device, why can't you start baking the settings into your ROMs?!?

You do it for other providers in the UK, why not Three?

Tagged:

Comments

• Leaskovski Leaskovski
    ✭✭  / 

Whats the point of these ideas pages if no one actually responds and tells you if they are actually looking into it, or that its a no goer!?