HMD Global cancels MWC 2020 Barcelona participation

Hi everyone As you already might have heard we decided to cancel our participation at MWC Barcelona, 2020 due to the spread of Covid-19.

HMD Global cancels MWC 2020 Barcelona participation

HMDLaura HMDLaura
Staff member  /  edited March 12

Hi everyone

As you already might have heard we decided to cancel our participation at MWC Barcelona, 2020 due to the spread of Covid-19.  

We know you were already excited to see our new phones line up – so were we. We will update you on a new timeline for our product announcements.  

For more information, please read the official -press release- .

Best regards,

Laura

Tagged:

Comments

• Yeap Hmd confirm that and say see u soon

• Fakhruddin Fakhruddin
    ✭✭  / 

Yes HMD global see u not soon

• iamkrishna08 iamkrishna08
    ✭✭✭  / 

Make announcement as soon as possible.

• pushp kumar pushp kumar
    ✭✭  / 

How long i have to wait for the next official new nokia phone

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 12

There are a number of ways to do presentations, but yeah nothing probably beats the high profile coverage which events like MWC get. The advantage is that people are already present there for that purpose and it is easy to get media attention. Also, there are lesser costs since media is already present as compared to specially inviting and hosting them .

As @Kartik Gada said, safety comes first and I am glad HMD decided to give more attention to the safety of its employees. But I also understand that they are a business and it's time that the fresh devices get announced. So, yeah time to look for alternate means of launching the phones. One way is same as how Kartik suggested - live stream it directly from the HQ and let each person talk from his/her desk. We'll get to meet more HMD staff and the costs of launch event will be significantly reduced. I've seen very successful launch events being conducted this way. Nokia Corporation has already announced that they will now stream/upload their MWC promo material via their communication channels to reach the consumers with the information which they were supposed to present at MWC 2020.

Another way (my preferred way) would be to to see a return of Nokia World like event. Sure, only if HMD has HERO devices ready, which can make the world talk, then they can (or in fact should) host a dedicated event and invite the world there and show them what they have achieved. The Nokia 8.2 which is widely anticipated does deserve a dedicated event. Also, since we are supposed to see several other devices at the same time, I think a physical event makes more sense. Not to forget that the Nokia 8.1 received a dedicated event for itself.

I am however not sure if the outbreak of the virus also impacts the areas where the device and/or components are manufactured. If they are affected, then there's a need to postpone the announcement until they can ensure that they will be able to manufacture and deliver devices soon after the announcement.

BTW @HMDLaura I have a complaint. You (in fact whole of HMD) never informed us (fans) of the timeline of the launch at MWC 2020. We learnt it from alternate sources (invites to the media) 😛 So why inform us of the cancellation na? :|

• thanoofnaina thanoofnaina
    ✭✭✭  / 

good question at the last. maybe they came to know about our excitement in waiting for the event.

hope to hear about the next scheduled dates soon @HMDLaura

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Given the situation and the fact that GSMA has cancelled the entire MWC 2020, maybe some GSM partners will collaborate to host a combined event at some point. That will help each one of them as the expenses will get shared. If not, we'll have to wait and watch how several companies present the announcements to the media and the consumers.

I was hoping that GSMA will reschedule the MWC 2020 to different dates, but they said that it will only happen in 2021 now.

• Well, I guess the danger was due to having tons of people from all over the world confined in a small space, so making a combined event for anything will probably be hard this year.

• nokianchetan nokianchetan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

First of all its a very good decision from HMD Global .

Now , India is the Second Largest Smartphone Market In The World So HMD Should Consider India (Goa) For The Next Global Launch 😊

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Great decision by team. I hope Nokia/HMD will come up with announcement of Phone lineup in surprising way soon.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @HMDLaura,

Thanks for telling us, we really appreciate this kind of open informal dialogue (away from formal press releases) and I hope that this is a good omen for comms in the future.

@Kartik Gada I agree that HMD should try and do something different, especially since virus-related travel restrictions will generally mean that any big launch event like we've seen in the past will be poorly attended this time.

Something from the HMD offices is a nice idea. However, I think there's still a role to play for the HMD village (the wooden buildings they use at MWC). Maybe it can go on tour around key markets to be used as a venue for launching the phones in a more informal way.

Maybe a VR launch would work? That would get people talking! It could even work well with ZEISS, as I think they have some VR headset products. The only thing this would prevent happening easily is for journos to fondle the devices and do those (fairly uninformative and almost all identical) "first look" articles, and for reps from the carriers to all get together for a big pissu- I mean networking event 😉 However, this can easily be remedied by sending out review units to local HMD reps and them holding local events.

Whatever the method, I look forward to seeing what HMD is going to launch this year.

Cheers 🙂

• galih r galih r
    ✭✭  / 

still waiting for NEW NOKIA N9 2020

• The thing about a new N9 is, the N9 was what it was because of its swipe UI and unique OS/buttonless design. But today swipe UIs and buttonless designs have Indeed become commonplace, and it is harder than ever to make a smartphone that doesn't run android.

I could be wrong, but I expect the originals series to remain only about feature phones. Because making a successful retro smartphone would be unsanely hard.

• Better u buy from other brand phone ... Or else u r going to regret like us ..

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Everything is impossible with HMD. 🤣

• the original event was planned about two days ago, will the new date be revealed soon?

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

I thought they were going to do a live stream of the new devices?

• Zoksh Zoksh
    ✭✭  / 

No official response, i know about the C2 but not that what we expect, we all except some great features in great design , i wish that happens before i die 🥺🥺🥺🥺

• er.photo er.photo
    ✭✭  / 

I read on twitter that Nokia is relaunching express music series original phone back. Is it true?

Why so much delay in announcing new devices at least give some date of event.

• βωρδάρτ βωρδάρτ
    ✭✭  / 

Well, now the new event is official

March 19 in London