February 2020 Security Patch is here for the Nokia 9 PureView | Brings WiFi Calling as well

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031042/uploads/428/MHU80PSYX4SR.png I just received a 77MB security patch on my Nokia 9 PureView running on Android Pie.

February 2020 Security Patch is here for the Nokia 9 PureView | Brings WiFi Calling as well

Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 24

I just received a 77MB security patch on my Nokia 9 PureView running on Android Pie. The update has also enabled the WiFi Calling feature. Those devices running on Android 10 have also started receiving the update. Check for update now.

EDIT

Nokia 9 PureView running on Android 10 got an 8MB update.

Comments

• Magicdesign Magicdesign
    ✭✭  / 

8.7mb so no fixes (I am guessing)

✭✭  / 

Might be a coincidence, but fingerprint reader is working well.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Very disappointing.

They've had months to fix these issues.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  /  edited February 24

Hey. There was already a post about this.

Sadly it's only a little update.

• neilk neilk
    ✭✭  / 

It probably is just a coincidence on the fingerprint reader. Mine is working no differently after the update. Won't read either thumb and only one index finger about 1/3 of the time.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    ✭✭  / 

Yeah - could be a cache clearing that has improved it during update. Either way, it's working better today than it did yesterday...

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

I really wish I could say the same for this hunk of junk. 😭

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Is there a settings option somewhere? I'll have a little look around.

✭✭✭✭  / 

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile network > Advanced. Under this you will find WiFi Calling option. 🙂

• N808 N808
    ✭✭  / 
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited February 25

It also has to be enabled by the operator. If they don't support WiFi calling it won't be possible. WiFi calling is made available by operators in India. I don't know about other countries.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for the info. Seems I don't have that option either. No biggie as I don't plan on keeping this phone for much longer

• vanshee vanshee
    ✭✭  / 

Funny thing is how they managed to cook nice update for A9 but for A10 there's only a security patch. Honestly - I can't figure out the logic behind this move. What's the point to roll a patch with wifi calling and fixes unless there's devices that will never get A10. Or there's devices that still waiting for A10. On the other hand - I'm due for upgrade in about a month or so... shortly said - if Nokia doesn't release a patch to address part of the issues we're facing for the last 3 months, I'm going to switch and forget about them. Same thing happened few years ago when I was a loyal HTC fan. At some point their devices became irrelevant to the needs of the users. I switched and never looked back. Nokia is going the very same direction. Same thing in real life - doesn't matter how much you love something, you need to let go and move on because it's obviously not working out. I give them 6 weeks from now on. If there's nothing until 10 April I'm selling everything Nokia and I'm moving on. I believe 3-4 months is plenty of time to try to fix the issues the people are complaining about. If they want to be serious player in the market they really need to step up their game in the support and maintenance area. It's not all about releasing new devices. And hiding. I'm still waiting for someone from Nokia or HMD to stand up and say - yes, we know there's a problem, we're working on it, sorry about the inconvenience. Or something in the lines.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

"I'm still waiting for someone from Nokia or HMD to stand up and say - yes, we know there's a problem, we're working on it, sorry about the inconvenience. Or something in the lines."

VERY MUCH THIS!

• FredS FredS
    ✭✭  / 

Come on Nokia fix this bug! Wifi calling option disappeared on my Nokia 7.1 since Android 10 update. Had to buy new phone that still has option.

How long do your customers have to wait for a fix?

• N808 N808
    ✭✭  / 

While I have had no issues with my Nokia 9, I recently bought a used Huawei Mate 20x which was on Android 9,and an August 2019 security patch.

Having done the initial set up, I was immediately taken through a series of updates including Android 10.

Unlike my Nokia 9, using the same SIM card, the Huawei does have Wi-Fi calling.

So is Wi-Fi calling carrier dependent?

✭✭✭✭  / 

Yes, WiFi Calling is carrier dependent too but I guess it should be enabled on the phone as well. 🙂

✭✭✭✭  / 

WiFi calling is not a feature that will break the important functionalities of a smartphones. I don't understand why some people over react on such small things that they have to buy a new phone that has "WiFi calling". The update with a fix will be pushed when ready. We will have to wait. 🙂

• Have Feb security patch on my dual Sim TA1087 and still have wifi calling on both my SIMs. Cheers

• FredS FredS
    ✭✭  / 

Hey Kartik Gada, maybe wi-fi calling is a deal breaker when you travel to another country & do not want to incur exorbitant roaming charges. It WAS an option on the 7.1 until Nokia pushed AndroidOne 10.

Thanks for your comment regarding over reacting when you have no clue what you are talking about. Troll someplace else.

✭✭✭✭  / 

WiFi Calling is not free calling! You have to pay standard charges as per your plan. It just helps when you are inside and do not have a strong signal. You just connect to the WiFi and enjoy HD voice calls even if your sim has low signal.

• FredS FredS
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Katrik, As stated previously I do not think you understand my issue. So feel free to keep your uninformed comments to yourself. he problem is that after Nokia pushed AndroidOne ver 10 the wifi calling & volte options disappeared except in SAFE mode. Factory reset did fix problem. Also do not tell me that AndroidOne is plain vanilla code as shipped from Google. IT IS NOT as per Google I opened a bugzilla ticket regarding this matter & was assured that vendors MUST make some modes to Google's code to work on the hardware.

Also, you are incorrect I have used wifi calling many times for over a year in the past calling from the UK to the US and visa versa and there is no charge. I am aware how wifi calling works & how to set it up. Again as stated previously the wifi calling & volte options no longer exist after AndroidOne ver 10push in Dec 2019.

Feel free to respond again with more misinformation regarding this matter. Better yet mind your own business since you do NOT know what you are talking about.

✭✭✭✭  / 

I did understand your issue and I clearly said in the 1st reply itself that the update will be pushed to fix bugs like these. Also, if you want to highlight this then do it in the right section of the forum. You are sharing your issue of your Nokia 7.1 in the thread for Nokia 9 PureView.

Factory reset after a big update is always recommended. Many do it and it helps just like it helped you. Also, I never said that google Android One statement so don't make your own theories.

I just found that Verizon offers free WiFi calling when roaming. Didn't knew this. The case is not the same with operators in India.

• FredS FredS
    ✭✭  / 

Will move this to correct thread.

BTW, already did factory reset many times. It did not resolve problem.

Did not mean to imply that you mentioned anything regarding AndroidOne. It is a common theme when dealing with Nokia (un)support for the past 4+ months in trying to get this bug resolved. They have constantly stated that AndroidOne is Google's code not theirs & is plain vanilla. It is not, but they keep insisting.

What is extremely frustrating is that Nokia keeps refusing to acknowledge that it is their bug to fix.

• FredS FredS
    ✭✭  / 

BTW, how can you state, "I clearly said in the 1st reply itself that the update will be pushed to fix bugs like these"? Do you even work for Nokia? Whether you work for them or not how can you even make this statement? Are you even aware that Nokia has refused to acknowledge that it is their software bug to fix even after dealing with Google & my carrier?

Stop being a fanboy for a company with terrible customer support and staff that are clueless to recognize their problem in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 10

I'll be honest. I don't trust any info from Nokia support or from their social media regarding any product related queries unless it is coming straight from the company officials like sarvikas who is active on twitter.

Software updates are not handled directly by Nokia especially for the devices made by FIH (their ODM for devices till x.1 range). Even my 7 plus had bugs with Android 10 update. And same is the case for Nokia 8.1 which again are made by FIH. But, they did release a big maintenance release update which fixed all issues. They always release a bug squashing update for their devices after a major android update and that's the reason I said 7.1 will get the update too.

Their new phones in x.2 series and the latest one have a much better software compared to old ones developed by FIH. So, they are improving.

No, I am not an employee and I am not even trying to be a fanboy. Yes, I am a fan but that doesn't mean I'll cover the bad or ignore it. That will just hurt them more. I always try to point out the wrong they do so that they fix it.

• FredS FredS
    ✭✭  / 

Hi Kartik,

I appreciate your comments. It's just been a very frustrating 4+ months experience with Nokia's incompetence regarding my issue. I apologize for my tone, it's just been a terrible experience dealing with their support. But, they do make beautiful & inexpensive phones.

• FredS FredS
    ✭✭  / 

Is there any way to communicate with some one at Nokia other than their (un)support associates who actually may know what's going on?

✭✭✭✭  / 

The support guys might be sending the data to the concerned team but it is better to post it here on the community forum as well. They might be taking feedback from here as well. You won't be able to connect directly with someone at Nokia but there is a high chance that you will get answers to your issues much faster on the forum by the other members.

They have to improve their support services.