How to insert Emojis by keyboard

EDIT: This only works on Win10 and with region set to USA.

How to insert Emojis by keyboard

madbilly madbilly
Super User  /  edited March 23

EDIT: This only works on Win10 and with region set to USA. (Abusing my super-user powers here to edit the title and OP 😉)

Hi all,

I recently worked/found out how to quickly insert Emojis by typing on the keyboard, so I thought I would share this with you in case you didn't already know (although I think it is probably just me who didn't know!) 😃

This is only for using an "old-fashioned" desktop or laptop keyboard - touchscreen keyboards just have the Emoji button which is a convenient way to do it with your finger. However, I found it frustrating to have to switch from keyboard to mouse to use emojis on desktop, until now! 😃

How do to it? Hold down Windows/super key and press "." key (I call this the dot, or full-stop, key... north americans will probably say the period key). Then, you can type a word, like "whale" and voila, quickly find the emoji you're looking for! 🐳

However, there's still no Mr Green, which I'm very sad about 😭

So, I hope you all have fun with this new found knowledge, I look forward to being visually pleased by your use of a wide range of emojis in future 😎

Cheers 🙂

Comments

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    Super User  / 

Hey thanks for posting this🤑. I was looking for same since long. 😒

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

But heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey! Emoji feature and the search within it in Windows 10 is here since a good time now. Maybe nobody attended to that "What's new" popup which shows up after installing the update which brought it up. Yeah, ik, for most of the consumers, it is like the License terms when installing software 💃 Thanks for posting it, but some like Mr. @Kartik Gada still use Windows 7 too. Gib a solution for them now 🙊

BTW, Mr. Green isn't a part of the standard set of emojis (unicode stuff?)? I was not able to find it in Emoji cheatsheet (Fox addon) either which I use on my Ubuntu :D

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

So @singhnsk you mean that Windows/Super key + "." is a Windows 10 thing? I'll have to try in Ubuntu to check.

No, Mr Green is not part of unicode for some reason 😒

Cheers 👋

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

This appears to be an English International keyboard layout feature in Win10, because the UK and UK Extended keyboard layouts don't include it for some reason, at least on this computer.

Cheers 🙂

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

I finally got to the bottom of this. It is another case of "Don't you just love Microsoft... er... NOT!

That Emoji keyboard shortcut is only on Win10 and only works when region is set to the United States. Hmmm, do we all live in the US? No. 😡

So, please excuse me for sharing this, it is not a forum secret is a Win10 Microsoft dirty little secret. 🤮

Cheers 🙂

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi @madbilly My setup is as follows and the Emoji shortcut works fine:

• Region: India
    • Language: English (US) - I just type mostly in US, so, that's what I prefer. Didn't test with other languages.
    • Keyboard: English (India) - So that I can type the INR symbol (₹) using the keyboard.

So, your conclusion might be a little wrong :P