Front display cracked

Hello, Purchased the phone 2 months back, a couple of days back my phone fell and the display is cracked.

Front display cracked

Tejas A Joy Tejas A Joy
✭✭  /  edited March 10

Hello,

Purchased the phone 2 months back, a couple of days back my phone fell and the display is cracked. I had a tempered glass on the phone yet the front glass is cracked.

I checked with the service center, they're quoting me 6800₹-7000₹ to change the display and the front glass assembly. They say it's a combo and one cannot replace just the front glass.

Can someone please help me as to what can be done to the front glass? Only the glass is cracked, display seems to be working fine though.

Can I use any after market glass? I checked a couple of them on *Maxbhi* which is under 2k. Has anybody done similar stuff here?

Here is the link for the product: https://www.maxbhi.com/search.html?mb_model_id=1653809&features_hash=6-34659

Just got the phone 2 months back and spending 7k just not making sense to me.

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Can I use any after market glass? I checked a couple of them on *Maxbhi* which is under 2k. Has anybody done similar stuff here?

You can, but you'll likely fail with the repair. The LCD and the glass are fused together leaving no gap between the two. They are glued and hence, it becomes very hard to free the glass from the LCD without damaging the LCD (it is very fragile, like a thick paper).

Since you know that the service point will replace the full display assembly (even unauthorized points will do the same, but they'll use an aftermarket display, which will already cost you around 2-3k or even lesser), what you can try by yourself is to remove the display and then try to separate the glass from the LCD (there are some tutorials on YouTube). If you manage to do it without damaging the LCD, then you can buy the glass-only and glue it to the LCD (use the special transparent glue which is made for that purpose). If you fail, then you can go with buying the new display assembly (per the original plan).

What I'd advise though is that you just get the display assembly. If the service center replacement looks more expensive, then you can check 3rd party ones. Just don't fell for super cheap ones. They are sometimes too fragile or have bad color reproduction.

The official repair is quite high though. Maybe wiser to just pick a renewed or used Nokia 8.1 instead. Or buy a different phone. This is something only you can decide upon.

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Better to use that cracked display phone as it is. Try to find people who need motherboard. In many cases people have dead motherboard so they serach for it.

You both will be satisfied. At one person can use phone.

Do serch on OLX you will find many people. May be you may get full display combo or someone who need motherboard and body.

• Tejas A Joy Tejas A Joy
    ✭✭  / 

I found this video on YouTube, https://youtu.be/PFwk6ZTtd-k

Not that I'm going to do this but if things can be done why do brands hesitate and take a step back for the repairs to be pocket friendly for the consumers and also asset friendly to the environment. I do realise it's a duplicate glass, tedious job and requires perfection.

Needless to say, quite disappointed with the build quality. I used Lumia 730 for 4+yrs and that one fell in places I never thought. Never had a case or a tempered glass, but it survived it all. Yes it's a plastic body & there were cracks on the case but then the display is all good and still works today.

Phones are becoming slimmer more and more but not stronger or atleast little enough to hold the accidental fall.

• Tejas A Joy Tejas A Joy
    ✭✭  / 

Yea! That is what I think I'm going to do.

I don't usually spend a lot on phones. The last time I bought a phone was 2014 it was a Nokia Lumia 730

Having said that windows OS came to an end with all of its support last year which made me get a phone. Got this one for 15,000₹ but then spending 7,000₹ isn't making sense at all.

OLX: I have been looking at it for a while now, hope I find somebody selling cheap.

Wait for couple of days for the price to come down and then get it changed.

Also can I add a tempered glass on top of this and use it? I have added photos of my display for your reference